The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Herzog Studio in Cincinnati Dynamics Plugins
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Herzog Studio in Cincinnati

This is the place where Hank Williams recorded his first hits ... before Nashville had a robust recording industry (see article).
Herzog Is Hallowed Ground

I have the opportunity to get involved in organizing some sort of restoration.. or at least creating a recording space with some kind of special karma. I was thinking I might try to actually recreate the GEAR that was there. (1940-1950). Slutz... what would it have been? Direct to laquer or early tape?? Mics? Console? Who has that sort of vintage gear? If any one has a picture of that studio (the only stuff I can find is the studio as new drywall etc. .. I think someone turned it in to apartments eventually) that would be great. PM me if you want to help. t.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Probably tape for Hank... maybe Ampex 300. Not many tape machines around at that time other than that.

Try posting to the AES Historical Committee weblist: Subscribe AES Historical Committee mailing list

The Ampex List would be good as well: Ampex Virtual Museum and Ampex Mailing List

Sounds like a great project, best of luck with it, and keep us posted!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Interesting project.

In this blog article there is a shot of a photo exhibit, you can see what appears to be the equipment in one of the photos on the wall.

Hank Williams Honored At Herzog Studios | Each Note Secure

Maybe you can get access to the photos that were on display and ID some pieces that way ? The guy Elliott mentioned in that article is on facebook, I'd start there.

I'm local, let me know if I can help. I work with a guy that does a pretty decent take on Hank's style; we can help you soundcheck the rig once it's ready !
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Have you talked to Jim Bosken at QCA? His dad printed LP jackets in the early 50's for a lot of local and regional labels, and then branched out into LP manufacturing. He might have the info you seek.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the comments

Great input. Its all a long shot... but its worth looking in to. Thanks. t.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search