The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Compressor: which currently made one is the best? Dynamics Processors (HW)
View Poll Results: The best 1176 compressor is:
Universal Audio 1176
36 Votes - 23.38%
Universal Audio 2-1176
13 Votes - 8.44%
Purple MC77
52 Votes - 33.77%
Other
53 Votes - 34.42%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

1176 Compressor: which currently made one is the best?

There are more than one 1176 style compressors available right now. I am looking to just buy one for my studio so that I can have some of that sound which is an industry standard kind of sound and always very useful somewhere.

Please let us know which one you prefer, why and which other ones you have compared it to.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

the original UREI units are appreciably better than any of the above mentioned..........

i had a 6176 and a purple.
neither of them sounded as good as my UREI 1178.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
the original UREI units are appreciably better than any of the above mentioned..........

i had a 6176 and a purple.
neither of them sounded as good as my UREI 1178.
Which was better? The Purple or the UA?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

the purple was better.
i had them side by side. sold the 6176 and kept the purple.

then i got a UREI 1178 next to the purple.
sold the purple and kept the UREI.
the purple was a little too bright for my taste when it came to vocals.
i loved the purple on bass and drums and would consider getting one again in the future, but the 1178 had a rounder, warmer tone that just sounded more classy to me................. it did everything the purple did AND sounded nice on vocals, plus it is stereo.

just my 2 cents.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
the purple was better.
i had them side by side. sold the 6176 and kept the purple.

then i got a UREI 1178 next to the purple.
sold the purple and kept the UREI.
the purple was a little too bright for my taste when it came to vocals.
i loved the purple on bass and drums and would consider getting one again in the future, but the 1178 had a rounder, warmer tone that just sounded more classy to me................. it did everything the purple did AND sounded nice on vocals, plus it is stereo.

just my 2 cents.
What's your opinion of the distressor as an alternative to the Purple or are they just not comparable at all?

I think 1178's are hard to find!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

if you want the exact tone of the originals?
I had a reissue and have a couple purples and older rev "D" 's .
the purple is a good comp but brighter sounding than the old ones.
the reissue sounded kinda flat next to the original,couldn't match it no matter what setting.
still haven't heard anything new that nails the tone of the old ones.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Also check out the following:

Mohog 76
Slate Dragon
Studio Electronics C2s
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

The customary background information: I've used vintage blue-stripes and blackfaces, in various conditions. Never owned either. All of the vintage units I've used (in other people's studios) sounded different from one another, even if they were nominally the same model (or revision).

The old units have all been subjected to different recording environments, passed around among studios (or rooms), sold and re-sold. Even if a couple of 1176s of the same iteration (say a couple of Revision F units) have been serviced in the same shop and used in the same studio for a sustained period of time, they will mostly likely sound considerably different. (I won't even go into the irreducible fact that one of these old 1176s might sound "better" in a given application, in a given session, on a given part, than the other—which sorta makes any generalization about these units moot.)

It seems to me prudent in this discussion to eliminate talk of the vintage units. It is true (as Roundbadge says) that if you want "that" sound, you'll have to find a vintage unit that provides it. But what is "that" sound? "Which" sound do you want?

For most of us, acquiring a vintage 1176 is a fool's errand. They are expensive; they are inconsistent in sound and up-keep.

In such context, given the choice between the Purple and the UA reissue, I'd opt for the former, which I think (whether "brighter," as some have suggested, or not) sounds (subjectively) "better" than the UA reissue.

I'm not going to pretend that I can tell you that it captures that elusive "vintage mojo" better than the UA—and anyone who purports to say as much is being disingenuous—but I can tell you that, having heard both contemporary units side-by-side, the Purple is "better."

Others will differ. Best of luck.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I owned an 1178 and a silverface 1176ln at the same time. As far as I could hear, they sounded the same.
the 1178 and silver face were both IC based. Could be the reason for the similarity.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

I love the BAc 500.not the same exact tone but similar functionality,really cool on its own
I wish i knew someone in town w/ a Mohog to hear
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I owned an 1178 and a silverface 1176ln at the same time. As far as I could hear, they sounded the same.
Maybe, but VS an earlier 1176, an 1178 does not sound the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by casrec View Post
the 1178 and silver face were both IC based. Could be the reason for the similarity.
OTOH, I thought that the 1178 has i/o transformers, and not the 1176 G/H series. Could anyone confirm ?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

We have too vintage blackface 1176's and 4 reissues (early ones). They are interchangeable for all intends and purposes.
Have a few Bac500's - nice comps but a different sound.
Sold the purple as it was bright and somewhat artificial sounding)
The silver front panel UA reissues all sound different (not great)
The Slate Dragon is a very interesting comp but despite a similar panel layout sounds different.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Had a pair of vintage D/E and bluestripe in the rack and a new 2-1176...

The 2-1176 performed great against them..I recommend it, and for stereo 1176 operation it trounces trying to balance up two vintage mono units with the stereo adapter.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeancab View Post
Maybe, but VS an earlier 1176, an 1178 does not sound the same.

OTOH, I thought that the 1178 has i/o transformers, and not the 1176 G/H series. Could anyone confirm ?

The 1178 had a output transformer like the H/k but was IC on the input. Also the circuitry was quit different. I am sure modified to handle the stereo operation. At a glance though the G, H and K are more reminiscent to the original design then the 1178. I think they all sound great just a little different, though I was not a big fan of the 2-1176. Although for the price compared to their UA 1176LN counterpart they are definitely worth the money.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Mohog MoFET76!

Just did vocals the other day and it sounded stellar
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Mohog MoFet76 is my fave of the 1176s. With the 2 trafo options, it's a little more versatile than the standard 1176s and it sounds every bit as good and maybe better.
Old 30th December 2010
Deleted User
Old 30th December 2010
We have Blue Stripes, Black faces Rev C, D, F, and G, 1178's also Purple and UA.
Lately I tried the Mohog and it stands Strong against the originals, we want to buy more for our new studio.
Believe me, It worth to give them a try, they are well built and sound great. Also they look beautiful!

Best regards.

Armando.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I was dead set on purple but the Mohog has caught my attention. Seems to come up all the time but I thought there were only a couple of hundred made/sold so far?

I wonder what the price would be after shipping and customs... hmm

Cheers

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

They definitely look great, too
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Byrd View Post
There are more than one 1176 style compressors available right now. I am looking to just buy one for my studio so that I can have some of that sound which is an industry standard kind of sound and always very useful somewhere.

Please let us know which one you prefer, why and which other ones you have compared it to.
Its hard to say anything bad about any of the aforementioned units standalone. To come form a different angle, the 6176 (which I own) is awesome as a channel strip since it includes the 610 pre. For that reason and the diminishing returns philosophy of finding pristine vintage gear the 6176 is an awesome deal. To get the 1176 sound plus a pre "sounds" better than all of the above alternatives in my humble opinion.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Interesting results.

I wonder how people like the Slate Dragon compared the best currently made 1176 which seems to be the Purple.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Had a pair of vintage D/E and bluestripe in the rack and a new 2-1176...

The 2-1176 performed great against them..I recommend it, and for stereo 1176 operation it trounces trying to balance up two vintage mono units with the stereo adapter.
Agreed. I have no problem using the 2-1176 alongside original UREI units. The sound is not identical - but then the originals don't sound identical to each other. At any rate, the 2-1176 is very recognisable as a 1176 and for the most part I prefer it.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
We have Blue Stripes, Black faces Rev C, D, F, and G, 1178's also Purple and UA.
Lately I tried the Mohog and it stands Strong against the originals, we want to buy more for our new studio.
Believe me, It worth to give them a try, they are well built and sound great. Also they look beautiful!

Best regards.

Armando.

Wow- huge huge endorsement right here. Thing with votes- units like the Mohog have less owners around the world at this time- so this post means a lot more to me than post results.

In actual fact just rolled for 2 mohogs heh.

Gavin Jensen
Newcastle/OZ
Old 31st December 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
I wonder what the price would be after shipping and customs... hmm
Priority Mail to the UK is $61 for a single MoFET76, customs you would have to learn on your own.

The Mohog is indeed WOW stuff. The switchable output transformer is very cool. I don't keep everything I sell in the rack (that would be impossible!) but I am keeping serial # 711-7 of our "ZenPro" blue / gold style in my rack.

I have clips of the Mohog and many other compressors in my Clipalator gear test page right now, audio and video clips.

War
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvan View Post
At any rate, the 2-1176 is very recognisable as a 1176 and for the most part I prefer it.
Yes, I didnt wanna say that in case it over excited a few people..heh but I really like the custom cinemag input xformers in these!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Having over the years used many 1176s I agree it's really hard to pin a sonic signature on any revision.
I am also happy with 2 Purple MC76s to cover that need, some have said that the MC77 tends to be brighter!
Old 31st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Wow- huge huge endorsement right here. Thing with votes- units like the Mohog have less owners around the world at this time- so this post means a lot more to me than post results.

In actual fact just rolled for 2 mohogs heh.

Gavin Jensen
Newcastle/OZ
There you go!

My Mohog shining with his grand parents.

Attached Thumbnails
1176 Compressor: which currently made one is the best?-img-20101230-00210.jpg  
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Wow! Impressive!!

OP:
I love my Rev. D ln
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
There you go!

My Mohog shining with his grand parents.

Awesome- but... is it my imagination or are most of the original 1176 VU lamps out?????? Thank goodness I have MC77 and soon 2 Mohogs (all of which have LED's lighting up the VUs).

Time for manufacturers to now use LEDs to light up VUs- UA need to move with the times.

GJ
Newcastle/Oz

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search