The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Compressor: which currently made one is the best? Dynamics Processors (HW)
View Poll Results: The best 1176 compressor is:
Universal Audio 1176
36 Votes - 23.38%
Universal Audio 2-1176
13 Votes - 8.44%
Purple MC77
52 Votes - 33.77%
Other
53 Votes - 34.42%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Thank goodness I have MC77 and soon 2 Mohogs (all of which have LED's lighting up the VUs).
Yes, I rather have a compressor with leds too......
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svens View Post
Uh..Irony.......

But- lets put irony aside for a moment- all things being equal with the sonics- would you rather have a dud lamp that burns out every coupla years or LEDS that keep operating year on year off.

And Svens-ever heard of irony- yes- Armando has an AMAZING collection of 1176's- no issue- I just found it amusing that with such a flotilla of guns that the dreaded 1176 studio curse of burnt lamps also seems to have afflicted his units.

Now putting the irony and silliness of the LEDS/lamps aside, to answer the ops original question I can respond with my FET experience of my FET comps as follows:

1. BAC - Good grab, thick, detailed and deep- little soft -ie not a "hard comp"- slight pillowing to the attack edge but very nice. Great tracking comp.

2. MC77- great 1176 grab, smooth compression action, more edgy than BAC in that the attack edge can be aggressive "hard", TME slightly thins signal somewhat, high mid sheen. Sometimes a comp "thinning" with high mid sheen great to cut through the mix. Good tracking and great mixing comp.

3. Sebatron Nitrous- flexible, useful compressive control and fantastic squash on drums- nice solid hard attack edge, in extreme settings pumps, not as deep and large and detailed as BAC, fantastic at balling or compressing things like a kick to fit mix in great way.

Out of these- I like the BAC500 best as an all rounder.

I really hope the Mohog has the MC77 smoothness and action in compression but is not soo bright and hope it does not "thin" as much as MC77. Time will tell.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 31st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svens View Post
heh
Old 31st December 2010
Quote:

I really hope the Mohog has the MC77 smoothness and action in compression but is not soo bright and hope it does not "thin" as much as MC77. Time will tell.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
I have the MC77 too, the Mohog sounds closer to an original 1176, its compression reacts the same.

The MC77 is very good but IMHO more sensitive and aggressive than a 1176, some times it's the ticket, some times not.

Regarding the bulbs on the original 1176, honestly, I gave up, we have changed them several times and they always fail, we have a busy schedule and it's a PITA to take them off the rack to install the replacements, so I've learned to live without the lights.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 31st December 2010
Holy crap, Delcosmos, and I take it that isn't even all your rack gear?
Old 1st January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardpike View Post
Holy crap, Delcosmos, and I take it that isn't even all your rack gear?
This is a psychological disorder.

Happy new year everyone!
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Time for manufacturers to now use LEDs to light up VUs- UA need to move with the times.

It's definitely the sensible thing to do... i just wish there was an LED solution that glowed as softly and (more importantly) as diffusely as a standard incandescent.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Buy one of ours. We'll let you play with it and then if you want you can send it back and we'll tweak it to suit.

Unfortunately not going to have one to buy for about 2 months as we're busy building some API-style modules for the studio (our studio) but when we're back 'online' we'll happily build you something.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

So what do you pro's think. I am kind of in the same dilema. I have an 1176ln on layaway right now. Looks like I will have it in 2 weeks. Got it used from GC for $1200. Or i could get my money back and get the mohog for the switchable transformers.What to do , What to do...
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Just bought my first 1176 compressor (Mohog).
Iam going to test it agains my Dragon.
Maybe i sell 1 if they are really close, hope they are diffrent.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
It's definitely the sensible thing to do... i just wish there was an LED solution that glowed as softly and (more importantly) as diffusely as a standard incandescent.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Right on about "diffusely". My neighbors have all switched to LED Christmas lights, which are vivid but don't light up the space around them. I'm still old school, so my house glows like a gingerbread mansion.

-R
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Wow. You gentlemen are making the Mohog seem really enticing. Happy New Year. thumbsupthumbsup
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

MNATS Rev.D with Ed Andersson Trafos - sounds like the originals did when new, A M A Z I N G
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Define better or best...I probably won't use anything but the newer Mohog (I have an older version that does not have the switchable tranx) anymore.

Up against the UA 1176 even the first run Mohog won out, Brandon has done some improvements since then that make it a no brainer for me, the units have always given me more gain, less trouble and a lot less noise floor IMO.

I have a newer unit that is getting my focus...I probably don't use mine the way the more active producers/engineers here do, I like it mainly as a tracking comp that tightens up and gives my input stage some breathing room, for that it is exceptional...I also have an mnats 1176, but I like the way Brandons units respond better, its a subtle difference but I don't like turning a knob a bunch to make a slight change, and also hate turning it a little and having a huge change, it should be linear which is probably the best description of the way the Mohog operates.

I never use the switchable tranx, but like the option just because I'm a slut.
Old 3rd January 2011
Pastor Obviedo
So... how much is a mohog? Is the panel made of wood? They look nice.
I would buy one to start, who sells this things? Mercenary?

P.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
There you go!

My Mohog shining with his grand parents.

Um, no ART PRO VLA?!
Old 3rd January 2011
The mohog stuff is just a slightly modified 1176F, with some choice parts for sound. The start of that product was outlined on a few threads over at Prodigy Pro.

As far as comparisons cheap and common 2009/2010 transformers are beating high quality repros and originals.... which is funny to me.

dfegad specks use your ears!
Old 4th January 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Quote:
Time for manufacturers to now use LEDs to light up VUs- UA need to move with the times.

Gregory Scott - ubk
It ain't that tough... use yellow LED's and if necessary, a sheet of "tracing paper" is translucent enough to soften and diffuse the light if its too directional [though I've never found it to be too directional].

Peace.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Head

distressor vrs 1176 style comps on vocals

I'm wondering if I would really prefer the sound of the Purple MC77 on vocal tracks over my distressor set to opto ratio with attack and release tweaked just right?

See, I don't like to compress vocal tracks more than once because it takes away from the sonic quality of the vocal track and adds too much noise, lip smacking and breathing for my tastes.

I can compress once with my distressor in opto and it gives it some of that LA-2A type of sound but you can squish down more if you set the attack and release right and get your vocal track to sit perfectly in the mix without compressing a second time.

The thing I like about the distressor is that I can compress once with it, while tracking and I don't need any more compression during mix.

I am wondering if the 1176 will be able to provice the final stage of processing to my vocal tracks the way the distressor can.

The distressor allows you to really control the dynamic range without making the vocal sound overly compressed or pumpy.

On guitar tracks where less compression is needed, perhaps the 1176 and Purple version will provide better sonic results than a distressor but maybe not?
Old 5th January 2011
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegaman View Post
...I probably won't use anything but the newer Mohog (I have an older version that does not have the switchable tranx) anymore.
The Mohog is everything you want in an 1176 as far as action goes, but without the "hard" sort of bite-y sound the reissues are known for. The TONE of the Mohog sets it apart, and that Carnhill transformer, while a subtle change, is present but also ever so gently buttery smooth.

After spending a lot of time with one, I found that you can easily use the MoFET76 like an LA3A or LA2A as a one knob compressor that is quite predictable and forgiving.

Combine the 4:1 ratio with 12:1 (everybody always talks about "all buttons in" but neglect the fact that you can combine any of them you like) and set attack to slowest, release to fastest. At that point you have a very easy leveling device that somehow allows the quieter stuff to get even louder than most comps, yet reigns in the super loud stuff like crazy but still have a life and presence to it, without getting all pumpy and out of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Obviedo View Post
So... how much is a mohog? Is the panel made of wood? They look nice.
I would buy one to start, who sells this things? Mercenary?

P.
Yes, the face plate is a decorative wood over the metal case. It is stained, screen printed and then lacquered. I stock and sell our own "ZenPro" style (blue with gold meter) as well as the ebony walnut stain (looks the most like an original).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
It ain't that tough... use yellow LED's and if necessary, a sheet of "tracing paper" is translucent enough to soften and diffuse the light if its too directional [though I've never found it to be too directional].

Peace.
We opened up a Vintagedesign "ProPack" channel strip today and I was amazed at how FAR BACK he sets the LED behind the meter! This is definitely a cool solution but man, you gotta have the space to work with it (it's like 4" back I bet).

War
Old 5th January 2011
Your website isn't working, Warhead. I wanted to check out your custom faceplated 1176s
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Byrd View Post
I'm wondering if I would really prefer the sound of the Purple MC77 on vocal tracks over my distressor set to opto ratio with attack and release tweaked just right?

See, I don't like to compress vocal tracks more than once because it takes away from the sonic quality of the vocal track and adds too much noise, lip smacking and breathing for my tastes.

I can compress once with my distressor in opto and it gives it some of that LA-2A type of sound but you can squish down more if you set the attack and release right and get your vocal track to sit perfectly in the mix without compressing a second time.

The thing I like about the distressor is that I can compress once with it, while tracking and I don't need any more compression during mix.

I am wondering if the 1176 will be able to provice the final stage of processing to my vocal tracks the way the distressor can.

The distressor allows you to really control the dynamic range without making the vocal sound overly compressed or pumpy.

On guitar tracks where less compression is needed, perhaps the 1176 and Purple version will provide better sonic results than a distressor but maybe not?
Anyone have any comments regarding what I stated above?
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

In actual fact just rolled for 2 mohogs heh.

Gavin Jensen
Newcastle/OZ
Me too! heh
Should turn up in a week or two - can't wait!
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Im ganna get a mohog! if thats how you spell it lol.
But ya LED's are kool but the original stuff is always better and is awsome when having them in your studio!
Old 6th January 2011
Quote:
Your website isn't working, Warhead. I wanted to check out your custom faceplated 1176s
Got it working now! You might want to check some ebay pricing on things you have listed, particularly the Mohog 1176s. Something's seems a little dodgy. I love the custom look you hve though! Very classy,

Cheers and all the best,

Ward
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Got it working now! You might want to check some ebay pricing on things you have listed, particularly the Mohog 1176s. Something's seems a little dodgy. I love the custom look you hve though! Very classy,

Cheers and all the best,

Ward

Thank you for your interest in Mohog Audio. Warren at ZenPro sells them a bit higher because he carries them in stock without the 30 day lead time. The Ebay price is a little higher then direct because of the ebay fees. We don't sell many through ebay because I direct most people to our site and ZenPro. But some people like the "ebay guarantee" , so I tack on about a third of what the ebay fee actually is. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are more than one 1176 style compressors available right now. I am looking to just buy one for my studio so that I can have some of that sound which is an industry standard kind of sound and always very useful somewhere.

Please let us know which one you prefer, why and which other ones you have compared it to.
Industry Standard? From the looks of it on this thread and present day. Mohog looks like to be the deal to beat. I was going to buy one of these about a year ago. When Mohog first started out selling their gear on Ebay.

I was like whoaa! wood face plate way cool!

And carnhill on the output!

From messing with many 1176s. My recommendations are.

Urei vintage C,D,E,F. (mostly used in the industry in the last 4 decades)

LET IT BE KNOWN. Finding replacement parts identical to the original parts is very hard. Especially, those transistors (one key ingredient to the old school sound). Way too hard. I had a hard time finding LA-3A transistors when my vintage LA-3A transistors went south. And after 4 decades of use, they will die. So hope they never go bad in your time of use. I mean you can fix it. With new parts. but it will never sound 100% the same again. Some stuff can be sourced, but there are some key ingredients in the vintage ones that are hard to find replacement parts.

Really Dig Purple MC76s (not a huge fan of the MC77s, little to bright for me, but can work for certain tasks really well.)

UA 1176AEs (CLA isn't the only guy who loves these. I got friends that adore them).

Mohogs (never personally heard them yet, but inside looks like it seriously kicks azz, judging from the parts used and the feedback from its users are doing well).

UA 1176LN reissue. (a bit boring for me stock), but I had modded a pair with a lot of vintage parts inside. To make me like using it.

Good luck
Old 6th January 2011
Pastor Obviedo
Is there any commercial recording made with a mohog?

P.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Head

Can Someone please tell us how the Purple MC77 compares to the Mohog MoFET76?

And are both the Mohog and the Purple better sounding than the UA 1176LN re-issue?
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can Someone please tell us how the Purple MC77 compares to the Mohog MoFET76?

And are both the Mohog and the Purple better sounding than the UA 1176LN re-issue?
I can tell you the Mohog sounds better than the UA 1176LN, lower noise floor, more gain, more options, actually seems to respond more but thats probably as much a perception as it is anything else, its all subjective, but where I've blind tested them it was chosen more than not.

Have not owned or used a Purple.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search