The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrading from Motu to ? Analog Processors (HW)
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Upgrading from Motu to ?

Hi all,

im want to change my setup with my motu 24 i/o right. The Gearslutz told me that the one i have is not good enough for making good stuff tutt heh

I have:

2x mono preamps
2x mono compressor
1x mic
1 analog Synthesizer (but i might get one more soon)

I might get some more analog gear, so i dont need only 2 channel ADDA, i like the SSL Xrack...

everything else is in the box, as you might have noticed im not that good yet in the technical things so i listed what i have

I need an interface with good ADDA for max. 3000$.

Im doing kinda Synthpop. What would you recommend me?

Thanks alot and happy new year to everyone

ArisA
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

You could try an alphalink with an ssl madiextreme. Should get within budget and is very good and gives you a similar setup as you had. In my personal opinion there is no better for this budget.

If you can live with a 8ch I/O, you could also try a Lynx Aurora 8 and a RME or Lynx interface.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

hi waxx,

thanks for your info. I want to have the opinion to add more gear as i want to work more with analog gear. Sorry for the dump question as i always worked with people in the studio that were good in the tech side and they managed everything, but does every piece of hardware need his own i/o or can i work like

preamp->compressor->adda->pc

i mean the out of pre into the input of compressor and then out of compressor to adda?

I guess people are gonna laugh now because of my questions heh, but hey im trying to learn...
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

yes you can definitely work like that. The only down side to this is that you have to commit to your compression settings. There is no "undo" once you have recorded compression, or reverb, or effects of any kind. The only thing you can alter would then be EQ, or adding more effects ITB. Many people record this way, and it can work if you are committed to getting your sounds right before you record them. Also, the Motu 24 i/o isn't nearly as bad as what some people make it out to be. I have one, and if used properly you can make "pro" sounding records with it. If you think the conversion is lacking, then consider contacting Black Lion Audio and see if you can get the converter and clock upgrade from them. I've heard great things about it
Old 29th December 2010
i upgraded from MOTU to Metric Halo, my friend upgraded to RME. we're both much happier.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Metric Halo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search