The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is chaining summing devices a problem sonically? Consoles
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Is chaining summing devices a problem sonically?

I have built my studio on the idea that plug-ins and digital summing is to be avoided if possible, so I even like to avoid digital summing on 2 microphones used on the same source, 2 mics on kick, guitar etc. So I will send them to different DA channels as suppose to summing them ITB and send them to 1 DA channel. But most of time I like to apply the same analog processing on these, and that's what busses are for. But I have SSL Matrix and it only got 2 busses which is not enough. If it had more problem would be solved. But what about doing analog summing before going into the SSL? So for example sum the 2 kick drums using a summing device and plug the output into one of the Matrix input channels. Would that be equally good to doing all the summing in the SSL (if that was possible) assuming the summing device is equally good, or do you loose any benefits from analog summing by doing this kind of chaining?
I have used Folcrom for this, which should be an ideal solution? Though it's a bit overkill with it's 16 channels. Would be great to have some 2 input channel summers available, or 4. Any suggestions?
I also have a Toft 24 that I am not currently using, and that one has 8 busses with balanced out from each bus channel, so I can do some of the summing there and use the bus outputs into inputs on the Matrix. Does that seem like a good idea? Or maybe I'll be better off using a cleaner signal chain like the Folcrom or other alternatives out there. Any comments or suggestions to this very difficult topic is very much appreciated.
Old 29th December 2010
Mgr
Lives for gear

Why not using the Toft ? That seems to be a very good solution...
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Is chaining summing devices a problem sonically?

I got a 32 channel toft and love it...so amazing
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaulsen View Post
Any comments or suggestions to this very difficult topic is very much appreciated.
You have :
1. SSL Matrix
2. Folcrom
3. Toft ATB 24
4. An Active Imagination.
5. The ability to do.

You have Great gear. A lot of people would be envious of you. So, instead of filling your mind (and this forum) with dread about making decisions, why don't you just try ALL of the above gear in various combinations, record them, then pick which one sounds best or right to you, and delete the other tracks. That would be the Sluttiest thing to do me thinks? heh

Seriously ... Don't let your mind paralyse you from making decisions and acting. Keep Moving. One foot after the other ...
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks for replies! Yes I could and will try these options, but a lot of the times unless you got a very trained ear the difference is very subtle. I was also wondering if the whole concept of summing some channels outside the SSL Matrix and entering it into the input channels of the SSL where it's summed again is sound, that there are no known issues regarding that.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I can't answer if chaining or bridging summing boxes and consoles is problematic but there's always this box wich can be a simple and passive solution.

Line Mixer
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Yes that line mixer would be perfect, Thanks for the advice!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search