The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend a sister mic to go with my Pearlman TM-1 Condenser Microphones
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Recommend a sister mic to go with my Pearlman TM-1

I'm looking to buy a mic to use as an alternative main vocal mic to my Pearlman TM-1. The Pearlman is extended and open in the high register and I'm looking to have a mic that is a touch softer, with more emphasis on body, upper mid vibe rather than being so open and extended. A mic that will still work in a dense mix with drums and electric guitars and will be good on male and female vocals.

Am I right in still thinking LDC? Recommend away thanks Guys
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

What mie pres are you using? Maybe you just need a new mic pre or eq?I use a Pearlman TM-1 with the high cut switch on it and use the switch when I want less highs. Perhaps you need a softer sounding mic pre like a tube pre?

I use an old Electrodyne 201-A tube pre with my Pearlman and that is about as beautiful sounding as beauty can be!!No harsh highs but yet still open in the top end and big round mid and bottom.I never use any other mic for vocals!

Just a thought !
Old 29th December 2010
member no 666

Tell ya what - I'll help you if you help me first.

Mine's easy -- I'm trying to figure out where to go for lunch today. I ate at home yesterday but want to go out today. Can you recommend a good lunch place?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

I usually stop at the gas station for a hot dog and one of those really appetizing little egg sandwich things that's been under the heater lamp for a couple of weeks... YMMV, of course.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

And from the customer service dept. representing the friendly face of Telefunken - Fletcher whose milages does vary... boom tish!

ATM I'm using it with the pres in my MR816. I don't actually like using the high cut on the mic, with the cut in it makes the top end a little cloudy. But I am considering buying the APA Juggernaught and the different impedance settings on it would bring out new qualities in the TM-1.

So I'm thinking a GAP pre73 and a new mic rather than just a heavy hitting pre like the Juggernaught at this stage.

I'm wide open for mic suggestions... I might do the obvious thing and get a an old U87 but the TM-1 is a great mic and I still love it. So, new mics are on the table as well. I'm just looking for suggestions for mics to audition and have a list of things to check out.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

i'm looking very seriously at the TM-1 and U87 right now, the budget only allows for one until summer...

i'll be very curious to see what mic you decide upon to compliment your TM-1.

the pre's i'm looking at for vocals are
LA-610 (which i think will darken up the TM-1 nicely)
Chandler TG-2
Summit Audio MPC-100
Mercury M72

definitely looking for a pre with a lot of color. already have the focusrite ISA sound and a taste of the neumann sound with the (frustrating) TLM103.

oops, i think i just hi-jacked your topic. super un-cool of me! sorry!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Mi casa es su casa chevega

Classic combinations for a timeless vocal option.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

My Gefell UMT70S's get much more use than my vintage 87. Great all-purpose mics with the M7 upper mid vibe you're talking about. That and an SM-7B and you'd have a pretty versatile set.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Tell ya what - I'll help you if you help me first.

Mine's easy -- I'm trying to figure out where to go for lunch today. I ate at home yesterday but want to go out today. Can you recommend a good lunch place?
Cynic!

Maybe the question would be relevant if this site were called FoodSlutz, but it's not.

To chevega: The MPC-100A is a great unit. The subtle compression is nice, and it has the clarity of a nice tube circuit, with multiple gain stages. Not a whole lot of color until driven, but a great unit. Love it with my 44bx (lots of gain).

To the OP: I'd look for something like a Bock 151, Josephson C715, Gefell UM70, BeesNeez Mahalia/Phelicity.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search