The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
question to u b k about the clariphonic... Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

question to u b k about the clariphonic...

hi gregory-

happy holidays! just a quick question...

if you were using the clariphonic on your mix bus, do you feel it would be redundant to have say an api 5500 as well to do general broad stroke, freq specific tweaks? I can't see why not.

also, on the mix bus, are you swapping out position with regard to mix bus compressor pre clariphonic, or post? or is their a method to your madness?

thx.

uri
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

bump for u b k.

not concerned about the first part of my question as there's no reason why a piece of gear like the 5500a wouldn't complement the clariphonic.

however, am just interested if you're using it pre or or post mix bus comp, or if you swap out depending on the song. since this is a unique piece of kit you might have some suggestions with regard to what point in the mix bus chain it should be used.

thx.

oto
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

At various times I've used it with a Hammer, 5500, and pair of lil freqs across the mix. I almost always have the Clariphonic as the very last thing in the chain, for 2 reasons:

1- it restores hf loss from any mix compressors, especially the 2500 but also the Phoenix if I've got the attack at full speed.

2- I find it's generally more pleasing to boost the hf's post-tube-treatment than it is to boost the hf's and try to tubify them afterwards. No idea why that is but it's consistent for me so I don't argue.

Of all the combos, the Hammer->Clariphonic is my favorite. I love to use the Hammer to pull down any hf's that bite, often 5k or 10k, then use the Clariphonic to stretch things out at 22k or 38k.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

thanks greg!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search