The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A-Designs Hammer + Dual EMPEQ Vs. GML 8200 EQ? Equalisers (HW)
View Poll Results: Hammer + dual EM-PEQs vs. GML 8200 on the 2bus?
Hammer + dual EM-PEQs
20 Votes - 37.74%
GML 8200
28 Votes - 52.83%
I dont like EQ on the 2bus
5 Votes - 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
It's really impossible to say, as I have no idea what 'your position' is.
Yeah, sorry, I meant this is my first hardware EQ - only worked with plugins so far.

I think I can get more uses for broader eq right now, an do surgical eq corrections with sofware eq once Im in the studio for the final fine tuning. So Im kind of aswering my own question.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I now use a Clariphonic on my master buss and I love it

It's not as flexible as the units you are looking at but it is stunning how it opens up the top end of a mix, really a nice eq and very easy to use.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

hum, checking the Clariphonic
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Listen to your inner slut.
On the 2-bus, the 8200 would be my pick too.
Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

I use a Great River EQ 2NV or a Manley Massive Passive myself for the 2 Buss, I don't really feel like I'm missing anything but the GM EQ is amazing, I would love to own one.

I don't own any A-Designs products, I have tried the Pacifica and felt it worked great on guitars with a Neve or GR pre in parallel. I'm sure they make great stuff...but the Nail to me would be closer to the Manley...colored...whereas the 500 series EQ is solid state no? So it's probably closer in vibe to those rare solid state Pultecs.
Old 23rd May 2013
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
A-Designs Nail to me would be closer to the Manley...colored...whereas the 500 series EQ is solid state no? So it's probably closer in vibe to those rare solid state Pultecs.
Not the old tube Pultecs, but it has some very big sound!
i have two the EM-PEQ 500 format units and the 19'' rack Mount EM-EQ2, basically the same unit when i get the money i will grabbed a couple more: )
Old 23rd May 2013
I am loving the Hammer on the 2-buss!!! I would love to have a GML 8200 some day but I it's a different beast entirely. I'm using the Hammer for the mojo I get from it.
Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
Not the old tube Pultecs, but it has some very big sound!
i have two the EM-PEQ 500 format units and the 19'' rack Mount EM-EQ2, basically the same unit when i get the money i will grabbed a couple more: )
Those old Solid State Pultecs sound a lot like the JLM EQ to me. So...don't think I'm upset just cuz they're solid state Pan. =) Same goes for the A-Designs 500 series unit...solid state can sound fantastic.
Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear
I regularly use the Hammer on 2 buss. I too have been wanting a 8200 for a while.
Old 24th May 2013
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Those old Solid State Pultecs sound a lot like the JLM EQ to me. So...don't think I'm upset just cuz they're solid state Pan. =) Same goes for the A-Designs 500 series unit...solid state can sound fantastic.
I did not take it in any negative way: ) .
I also have one of Joe's JLM EQ and it is great.
The A-Design get used the most but I have a pair.
Joe also does some awesome work IMHO, his gear always gets a big thumbs up from me for what its worth.
Old 24th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
I regularly use the Hammer on 2 buss. I too have been wanting a 8200 for a while.
Its beautiful on mix buss! I love the 3.5k & the 10k on the high band. The only bummer is that you can only pick one frequency to boost (on the high band). I like both a lot, but have been using the 3.5k more lately. It gives the mix instant energy and excitement!
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

Eep.

Sorry, posted in this thread again by accident.

Really though I prefer inductor based EQ designs (Pultec, Massive Passive, GR EQ-2NV)
Old 27th May 2013
Lives for gear
I will try the 3.5k boost. I have only really been using the HP & LP filters and the 10-15k boost on the Hammer EQ.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search