The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
looking for new male vocal mic Condenser Microphones
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

looking for new male vocal mic

The best mics I own are what you high end guys call utility mics.

I guess that's just the truth. :-)

I have a pair of 414 ULS, a pair of TLM103, a pair of Schopes MK41, a pair of Royer 121, a pair of AEA R84 but nothing fancier.

I also have a Senny MKH 60 and a MKH 70 shotgun mic for my field work.

I have 20 channels of really slutty preamps, some purple MC77s and a Tube Tech CL-1B

I'd really like to add a mic that is special on male vocals but I am not ready to spend $6k to $13k on a microphone.

I don't want to waste time filling in the utility mic collection I described above.

I'd like to buy a Wunder CM7 fet... but not for my kick drum :-) I like the fact that the workmanship seems top notch. But all I see mentioned is that there's no comparison on vocals to the real CM7.

The MicroTech Geffell UM70/MV692 at Mercenary also seems really attractive. I understand why some folks don't enjoy the U87i... and I think I'm probably like minded in that regard. I like smooth sound so this mic has my interest.

When I look at the tube mics I think I should keep saving up more money... because even the tube stuff that costs $2k seems to have the kind of metal work I might expect from a prison license plate factory... so it makes me think the stuff inside might not be love at first listen.

I keep seeing the 2 mics I mentioned above as utility mics and I accept that idea... Maybe they would be a step up for male vocals compared to what I have? Maybe not?

What do you think I might find interesting?

Thank you.

best regards,
mike

Last edited by mister sunshine; 28th December 2010 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

i just bought a mic for vocals,
money was not a criteria, we had 12 tube mikes and 8 condensors to choose from ...
blue (big) bottle, akg c12, neumann M150, neumann M149, neumann M147, gefell 990, akg solidtube, brauner valvet, audio technica 4060, horch rmj, etc ......
neumann u87, tlm 102, 103, 127, 170R, kms 105, blue kiwi, black hole, etc ....

we tested on male & female vocal, acoustic and classic guitar & some percussion .
we were 4 pairs of ears

and we came home with :

akg C12 + AT4060 as tube mikes
neumann kms105 as condensor (for all of us the 105 was preffered over 87)

so to buy a mic , audition a lot of them with the source you want it to do !!!
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

I second the AT-4060!
A truly wonderful mic that pairs well with any preamp I've used it with.
I've yet to audition a sub 5k mic that has "blown" it away. Hope this helps.

Happy VOXING days ahead!
Old 28th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_mccue View Post
I'd really like to add a mic that is special on male vocals but I am not ready to spend $6k to $13k on a microphone.
How about close to half of $6K? The Bock 151 is great on most male voices I've tried it on and workmanship inside and out is A+.
Old 28th December 2010
Have you ever considered a Neumann U89? I have many great vocal microphones, but the U89 is a surprise to many.

I think people get thrown off due to its smaller size. Don't let that bother you! Try one out.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Buy an original, pre 1987, Neumann U87. Its the most widely used professional male vocal mic on the planet. I know the TLM 103 is sort of based on the U87, and is a great drum mic, but its not really in the same league for vocals. The U87 has an amazing ability to take even large amounts of eq without sounding harsh or producing strange peaks, so you can almost always make it work. It also tends to produce a vocal which sits well in a mix and sounds like a record. It will also keep its value should you ever go broke and have to sell it.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Mike, I used an original 414 through a local studio for a few years and it worked pretty well on my voice...then they got a U87 (this was back in the 90's...it was like heaven through a 737. We tried a bunch of lead and backing vox where I played with timbres a little, and it was very versitile.

I can't speak to the newer ones, but it was my go-to mic for my vocal...just can't afford one myself so I stick to my lowly AT4050.
Old 28th December 2010
member no 666

News flash -- there are all kinds of great mics in that price range [hell you can probably get a couple / four if you do your homework]... BUT... you need to understand that there is no one "holy grail" mic [no matter what the GS peanut gallery will try to tell you].

You need to listen to a bunch of tools in your shop - on the music you work with most often - with the singers you most often record.

The sound of a singer will change almost everyday [some don't but they're VERY rare] - and singers will change THEIR sound unconsciously as they react to arrangements and what their perception of the tone should be.

While you will get all kinds of recommendations here - the reality is that none [and I do mean NONE] of those recommendations are going to actually be germane to your reality. Audition a bunch of them - and find the one [or ones] that give you the best variety and define your taste in terms of the general demeanor of the tools.

Best of luck with the search - if you're doing it right it should take you a year or so [if not longer] to find the tools that will be absolutely perfect.

Peace.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks everyone.

best regards,
mike
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
How about close to half of $6K? The Bock 151 is great on most male voices I've tried it on and workmanship inside and out is A+.
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've had my eye (but not ears) on the Bock 151 and the Wunder CM7-GT-M7. Nathan, have you tried both? Why do you prefer the 151 in this price range (a little over $3000)?

I've been doing alright with a pair of SP mod U87's and an Oktavamod NT1A, but would like something different. These are good, but don't wow me on the two male vocalists I'm working with.

It would be nice to try a bunch of mics but, in practice, most sellers don't seem to like you sending back mic after mic, especially at this price point with mics that are usually not kept in stock. I hate being sneaky and trying one seller, then another. It's a pain in the ass.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Yes, I'd love to audition a bunch of mics but it's impractical.

I enjoy living in a remote location... so, I'm not complaining... but buying and trying seems to be my most practical choice.

I got the slutty preamps slowly, they make every mic I own sound better.

I have a good relationship with a vendor... but I don't think it's cool on my part to ask for a half dozen mics to be sent down for demo... especially because I like a competitive price as much as the next person and it's obvious to me that top drawer service requires top drawer pricing.

If it was practical for me to rent mics I'd be a happy guy... but it is not.

The only other thing I can think of is to travel to a dealer whom I have confirmed has stock and spend a day testing. Real life cost of that; $1- 1.5K with expenses, opportunity costs etc. So I have some wiggle room in my budget for making purchasing mistakes by buying a mic on it's reputation.

The least likely thing I would do is take someone up on a satisfaction warranty. In other words, if I bought a $2k made in USA from offshore parts mic and didn't like it I would be very reluctant to ask for a return simply because of my personal preference. I'd feel like I was hurting the vendor.

So, I was hoping for some help in deciding on the next mic for me to experience first hand.

I want a mic that suits a male crooner with a full voice... not a shouter, or a rap style, more like a smooth RnB singer or perhaps some polished country.

The U87 seems desirable but I'd want an older one with the transformer and I'm not exited to buy a used mic for a vintage price.

The Bock 151 seems very interesting. The UM70 seems cool... and I'll have one of those someday even if it's not the mic I am asking about here. The CM7 FET seems like a great piece of USA gear.

Does anyone have a guts shot of the Bock 151?

Thanks again everyone.

best regards,
mike
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
Honestly, try the Miktek CV4. Fantastic mic. AK47 is really good. Peluso 2247LE. Blue Kiwi. How about this one - Shure KSM44...nothing wrong with that mic whatsoever. I've owned the CM7, CM7 GT (both tubes) and they're really nice mics - not so sure they're worth the extra $2000.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

sm7 just always seems to work
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Mike given your situation, same as mine (audition not practical). I will say the mics you are considering are good enough to be in the (maybe not the perfect one) BUT really cant go wrong category . To your list let me add the one I use. The Brauner Phantom V. excellent clean FET mic. Or for a bit more money the Brauner Valvet tube. Also for a bit less money the Pearlman TM 1 tube . I have sung through all of these with good results. FWIW The Phantom V was used for most of the vocals on my MYspace page in my sig line.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

I rolled the dice and ordered a Wunder CM7FET

The Bock 151 and MG UM70 are next on the list.

Thanks everyone.

best regards,
mike
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon-of-a-son View Post
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've had my eye (but not ears) on the Bock 151 and the Wunder CM7-GT-M7. Nathan, have you tried both? Why do you prefer the 151 in this price range (a little over $3000)?

I've been doing alright with a pair of SP mod U87's and an Oktavamod NT1A, but would like something different. These are good, but don't wow me on the two male vocalists I'm working with.

It would be nice to try a bunch of mics but, in practice, most sellers don't seem to like you sending back mic after mic, especially at this price point with mics that are usually not kept in stock. I hate being sneaky and trying one seller, then another. It's a pain in the ass.
You're right, it is a pain in the ass to audition a bunch of mics. Trying to get them all together at the same time is impossible. I went on a 6 month odyssey doing this--really fell down the rabbit hole. However, in dealing with Mercenary and Jeff at Vintage King not once did I feel any pressure at all to buy the mic I was trying. They were both very gracious about accepting returns.

I tried the Bock 151 and it really wasn't to my liking, nor was the Wunder CM7 (GT and otherwise). I ended up with a Flea 47. Took a chance ordering from SLovakia, but once again I was treated very well and feel that I could have returned the mic no questions asked if I didn't like it.

Anyhow, in your search for a male vocal mic, I'd definitely keep the Flea 47 in mind, as well as the Lawson 47. The former is a true 47 clone that IMO comes really close, and any case just sounds great. The latter is not really a 47 clone but is wonderful in its own right, especially on deep male vocals. In both cases you have to buy the mic then get a 10 day or 2 week return policy.

Good luck. Searching for the ultimate mic is a protracted and incurable disease.

-R
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

It's really nice to know that the guys are kind and generous with the testing.

I used to be a merchant in the hi-dollar bicycle business so I still have misgivings about returns... but if they vendors are gracious about it maybe I can learn to relax on my side.

Thanks for your insights.

I did trust that the satisfaction guarranty will work in good faith if I just don't like what I hear, so I figued I'd put the money on the counter (so to speak) and move forward from there. I hope I like the CM7 FET and learn to make good use of it.

Thanks again.

best regards,
mike
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTinPanAll View Post
i just bought a mic for vocals,
money was not a criteria, we had 12 tube mikes and 8 condensors to choose from ...
blue (big) bottle, akg c12, neumann M150, neumann M149, neumann M147, gefell 990, akg solidtube, brauner valvet, audio technica 4060, horch rmj, etc ......
neumann u87, tlm 102, 103, 127, 170R, kms 105, blue kiwi, black hole, etc ....

we tested on male & female vocal, acoustic and classic guitar & some percussion .
we were 4 pairs of ears

and we came home with :

akg C12 + AT4060 as tube mikes
neumann kms105 as condensor (for all of us the 105 was preffered over 87)

so to buy a mic , audition a lot of them with the source you want it to do !!!
Hi

Did you get to audition an AKG C12VR or a Sony C800G?
I currently have a C800G/AKGC12VR/Ref C which are mostly used on Female voices, but was considering the 4060 for male voices as an option, or even a new Bock 241... Would love some thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

I would buy about ten cheaper priced mics it seems like all the mics you have are 1000 dollars +. I think your missing a lot of good mics because of that. I wouldn't go pawning the mics you do have just saying to add to the variety.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Head

Just get a U87 (not ai) and be done with it. Millions of records sold speaks for itself...
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
I would buy about ten cheaper priced mics it seems like all the mics you have are 1000 dollars +. I think your missing a lot of good mics because of that. I wouldn't go pawning the mics you do have just saying to add to the variety.

Can't say enough about this last post.
And what Fletcher said earlier about all these mic mentioned may not work.

It happens every day with me ..... there seems to be a new hero from the mic locker on every project. So it's good to have a bunch to choose from, even a couple of the same model.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search