The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 421 Pre, JYHO Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 28th December 2010
Best 421 Pre, JYHO

OK, time for a general but pointed question where you supply Just Your Own Humble Opinion... if you would be so kind as to share...

When recording toms and kick using 421s or 441s, what is your preamp of choice and second choice? Suppose you were recording a guitar cabinet, what then?

Curiously yours,

Ward
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

germanium 500, followed by api. thats about all I got in my lunchbox. other pre's here are a 610, tla classic series and tascam m5000 board pre's. the 421 will work on any of them, but the germanium 500 has a nice 'schmalz' to it.

for distorted guitars I use a 57 to the tla and a 421 with germanium. awesome.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

421's through an API 3124 are a great combo, particularly for mounted toms. I sometimes use an RE-20 or other options on floor toms, but still love the API. Rarely use 421's on kick, unless it's funk or similar where looking for a smaller, punchier sound, in which case the API is still a great choice. For bigger rock kicks I tend toward a Beta 52 or Heil PR-40, and usually opt for my Aurora pre. But API and drums were made for each other.
Old 28th December 2010
Fantastic replies. Keep them coming!

You know, 25 years of this and my own personal favorites and pre-conceived notions, I am due for a shake-up.

Always looking for the advice of peers can never hurt you!
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

421 + Chandler Germanium on floor tom

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search