The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where are your mic pre's? Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Where are your mic pre's?

Curious if people are running their standalone mic pre's in their control room racks or close to the mic? Trading off ease of switching vs. running at line level over the distance to the control room/A/D.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles
Curious if people are running their standalone mic pre's in their control room racks or close to the mic? Trading off ease of switching vs. running at line level over the distance to the control room/A/D.
Our Neve 1081R rack is in the live room but you can computer control it from the control room anyway.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post
Our Neve 1081R rack is in the live room but you can computer control it from the control room anyway.
Both the 1081's and the computer control are, as they say, "aspirational" for me... heh But that's a nice best-of-both-worlds way to go.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

In the CR!
Cheers
Old 28th December 2010
Always in the control room, but the power supplies for the C12a and Neumanns are out in the live room. Putting preamps in the live room encourages "self-engineering" and this is never the best idea out there.

Why? Self-engineering, self-producing, self-coaching greatly diminish the potential for great art because one human being cannot fully devote oneself to the task of creation if one's brain has to switch gears constantly... I could go on for hours on this, but I'll shut up now.

So, Control Room.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles

Both the 1081's and the computer control are, as they say, "aspirational" for me... heh But that's a nice best-of-both-worlds way to go.
Do you mean you like the 1081R or that you dont? Lol
Old 29th December 2010
SRS
Lives for gear

In the live room with short cable runs. Allows a good look at the metering when setting levels on a drum kit. Works either way...
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

At the top of the console channel strips.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

My (dedicated, purpose-built) mic pre clips on the mic stand about 6 inches from the Royer SF-12.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sometimes under the microphone stands (although the DAV BG1's will attach to the stands themselves -a bit like Richard's above) but more often just behind the main array, set up on a table so that I don't have to crawl around on the floor.

I've also got some remote micpres.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

In a rack in the CR close to the patch bay and converters.

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I keep the pres with the rest of my outboard gear in a rack near the patchbay. I don't have a separate control room, but if I did, I would keep them there because I might have to ride the level a bit during a performance and I need access to the gain control on the pre. Unless you are talking about really long cable runs, like 150 + feet in some giant auditorium, I can't imagine that it would make much of a difference, sound wise, if the pre was closer to the mic or in the control room. There might be some minor loss in a really long cable run from the mic to the pre, loss that could even be measured, but I doubt you would be able to hear it.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

CR..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search