The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mercenary KM69s Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

While it can be argued that some specs are better than no specs, believe it or not the opposite can also be argued.

Let's take a 2 monitors both flat +/- 3db, one has the usual bumpy curve, and one is dead flat from 40Hz-1Khz, then is exactly +3db from 1KHz to 4Khz, then is dead flat on up from there -- I think you get the point about equal specs not equating to equal sound.

Here's something I've NEVER seen published, or indeed EVER asked by the spec hounds -- "What amount of SMOOTHING did you use on your frequency response graph?", Is it raw (very unlikely -- raw doesn't make good advertising copy), how about 1/24 octave, 1/12 octave, 1/6 octave, 1/3 octave, etc.

The frequency response graphs of things like pre's and power amps won't change much with different amounts of smoothing, but mic's, loudspeakers -- WHOAA !!!

So you before you go putting more than a superficial weighting to mic and speaker freq response curves, at least let this thought cross your mind as you peruse the curves.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
While it can be argued that some specs are better than no specs, believe it or not the opposite can also be argued.
Actually, for an audio device, the opposite is the better argument. I have yet to read any substantial argument which makes specs important. If we bought based on specs alone we'd miss out on some of the world's best gear.

A plotted grid will never have the power to tell me what I hear, and NEVER the ability to determine whether or not I like it.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Actually, for an audio device, the opposite is the better argument. I have yet to read any substantial argument which makes specs important. If we bought based on specs alone we'd miss out on some of the world's best gear.

A plotted grid will never have the power to tell me what I hear, and NEVER the ability to determine whether or not I like it.
What about self noise? Go to the Remote forum and read about Earthworks microphones if you think that the self noise spec doesn't matter.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator View Post
What about self noise? Go to the Remote forum and read about Earthworks microphones if you think that the self noise spec doesn't matter.
I don't think an Earthworks mic even compares to something like a KM54, even though its specs would look much more attractive from that standpoint, and this fact is precisely my point. Given a spec sheet I might go with the Earthworks -- in the real world, no chance.

If self noise is relevant, and of course it often is, plug in and take a listen. The absence of a self noise rating doesn't mean it's noisy.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
The absence of a self noise rating doesn't mean it's noisy.
yes, but having that spec written down on paper and available on the web surely makes a potential buyer aware of a potential problem (as with some Earthworks, as far as I can read, with quiet sources) while he/she is doing his homework in preparation of a purchase. Test driving at your own studio is not always and everywhere feasible, so having all the information in advance is surely useful.

best regards
Massimo

Last edited by massimo; 5th January 2011 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: forgot the word "buyer"
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
Test driving at your own studio is not always and everywhere feasible, so having all the information in advance is surely useful.
Maybe I shouldn't speak for Mercenary, but I believe you can demo the mic anywhere they're able to ship.
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

I love the KM69. Great for fingerstyle and acoustic guitar. Truly professional sound. They sound bright. I don't use it for a heavy guitar sound. They're more intimate and detailed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search