The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendations for Class-A Line Mixer
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

I'm looking for a Class-A line mixer.

Must have at least 16 balanced input each with pan, mute, solo.

Should have: insert per channel, and/or send.

So far I'm looking at the Nicerizer, and Chandler Mini Mixer.

Anything else I should be looking at?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Speck Lilo, API modular rack mixer, Purple BUST, Tonelux are just a few off the top of my head.
Old 28th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Watched a demo of the Chandler mixer and was very impressed.
Old 28th December 2010
Why does it have to be Class A for a line mixer?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Why does it have to be Class A for a line mixer?
Class-A has less cross-over distortion due to one output device handling all 360 degrees of the input cycle. Class B has two output devices, each handling 180 degrees of a cycle. Class AB is a compromise, but really I'm just being philosophical and slutty.

Plus my room is a tad cool, so class-A is a good heater due to its inherent inefficiency.

I like technologies that massively increase my carbon footprint.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorfuture View Post
Class-A has less cross-over distortion due to one output device handling all 360 degrees of the input cycle. Class B has two output devices, each handling 180 degrees of a cycle. Class AB is a compromise, but really I'm just being philosophical and slutty.

Plus my room is a tad cool, so class-A is a good heater due to its inherent inefficiency.

I like technologies that massively increase my carbon footprint.
I know what Class A is thank you.

My question is related to the fact that you are asking for a line mixer which will be pretty much be passive up to its summing amp which may or may not need to be a class A make up amp.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

If you can get past the class A myopia, the Manley 16X2 is pretty smokin'.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Also, the Nicerizer isn't a line mixer, it's a summing box, which is a fancy marketing way of saying "it's got no level controls, mute, or solo".

It also has no inserts per channel and no sends, so it fails on all but one of your criteria.

But it sure sounds sweet.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
My question is related to the fact that you are asking for a line mixer which will be pretty much be passive up to its summing amp which may or may not need to be a class A make up amp.
A lot of synths and drum machines. If it's entirely passive (like the SM Pro Audio passive summing -- I have a few of these) then impedance will vary with the volume pot. I am hoping to have better performance, and noise-floor with an all-active design.

I've got external pre's for other sources so I don't need a mixer with pre's.

The Speck Lilo is candidate #1 right now.

That's my thinking anyhow.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Also, the Nicerizer isn't a line mixer, it's a summing box, which is a fancy marketing way of saying "it's got no level controls, mute, or solo".

It also has no inserts per channel and no sends, so it fails on all but one of your criteria.

But it sure sounds sweet.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Doesn't the nicerizer 8 have level control per channel? The 16 seems to have pan's but no level per channel. No inserts though. It does look sweet. But yeah, it doesn't really fit the bill.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorfuture View Post
Doesn't the nicerizer 8 have level control per channel?

I always forget there's an 8! You're right, levels with no pan and 2 busses... it's an interesting concept, I daresay made for a different era.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I always forget there's an 8! You're right, levels with no pan and 2 busses... it's an interesting concept, I daresay made for a different era.
I just noticed it also has 8 tx balanced channel outs so in a summing scenario you could actually use this to record your processed stems back in to the DAW and print the mix at the same time.

Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I daresay made for a different era.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Different era??
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear
What about the RN 5088?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

you might want to have a look at this discussion:

Speck LiLo console - any users here?

as far as i know the lilo is not discrete class a, though.
if i were in your shoes, this would be no deal breaker for me.
i have thoroughly checked the 19" speck mixers, and they sound fantastic! very clean and open, with a smooth and solid bass.

the chandler ist much too coloured for my needs.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Really depends on how much you want to spend. The catch is the solo, send/returns and inserts. If you want class A, other than getting a vintage console, I really only know of the Tonelux.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasvogeler View Post
Different era??

A decade ago, which is a long time in the evolution of hybrid workflows.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 6th January 2011
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
I just noticed it also has 8 tx balanced channel outs so in a summing scenario you could actually use this to record your processed stems back in to the DAW and print the mix at the same time.

We get lots of questions re the differences between the two units, as people expect that the Nicerizer 8 is really a cut down version of the 16 in terms of channels and often in price. In reality they're two different products :

Nicerizer 16 is a traditional summing mixer/amp with 16 inputs and 2 outputs, it has a stereo insert point, stereo width and some basic monitoring facilities. It does have pans which are very important for summing but doesn't have level controls, as we would normally expect these to be set within your DAW.
The Nicerizer 8 (pictured above) has 8 inputs and 8 outputs, it's more of a line mixer & summing mixer for stems, groups, busses etc. It does have level controls but no pans, and in terms of summing it sums the first 4 channels to the left output and the last 4 channels to the right output. It also has basic monitoring/metering in less depth than the 16.

Sonically its the same as the 16 as are all our products as they employ the same output stages & transformers throughout the range.

Hope this helps to clear things up !

For the record the Speck X-sum is a great line mixer, its really well built and sounds great and best of all Vince and Speck are a top company !

[email protected]

Phoenix Audio •*UK
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ashley line mixer sounds really great for keyboards drum machines. Not expensive though.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search