The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Single Channel Preamp to Pair with ULN-2 Enhancer Plugins
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Single Channel Preamp to Pair with ULN-2

I love MH character with my ULN-2 but as I am not on the road anymore I can afford to have some outboard to patch into my MH ULN-2 without having to worry about damaging or carrying or flights or tour busses.

Any suggestions on a $1k-$1,500 single channel preamp that would compliment my very clean and wonderful but not as ballsy or fat ULN-2 preamps?

I will say, I am a HUGE Daking fan, though Im not sure if despite being an AMAZING pre they offer enough contrast to the ULN-2 (havent heard them side by side however) and also have considered buying a Phoenix Nice DI/A Designs ATTY and patching them to the inserts post Mic Pre just for some color when needed.

I also have considered Pre/Eq combos but Im more of a no EQ no Comp guy on the way in. Then again I yeard for a CL1B hahah! (a bit too high end for me this year unfortunately).
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I would pick a tube preamp or channel strip.
Check a lovely Mercury M72s-1,
or the QES Labs Preq-1 tube channel strip, featuring a Pultec-style EQ which can be handy.

Check this thread for audio samples.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks for the suggestion Im going to try to find somewhere to hear the Mercury in person.

It may also make sense to get the Summit TLA-100a and patch that in with the MH pres.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search