The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U87 Or Not ? Condenser Microphones
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

U87 Or Not ?

Ok, so i got my self a Saffire Pro 24, Great River ME-1NV, EL8X Distressor and a Shure SM7b, im slowly working up to what else I need, the Shure is great yet doesn't give the sound a few of my artists are looking for, I was think about also getting the U87?

Also would the U87 be a good combination with those other peices of equipment ?

Thanks all!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

U87 into your great river should suit many vocalists nicely.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

if you dont like it, you can always sell it. in my experience it always sounded like a record and could always produce a professional result. lots of people hate on it and that is fine. i like it.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks guys!

So the U87>GR>EL8X>Saffire Pro 24 chain will be a great setup for a while ?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecht View Post
Thanks guys!

So the U87>GR>EL8X>Saffire Pro 24 chain will be a great setup for a while ?

Yeah, u87 is a good choice. It's a mic that clients have heard of that sounds good on most voices. Personally, I prefer other mics for my voice, but u87s are also pretty versatile and can be used on things like acoustic guitar
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

U87's and voices are like PB and J...been happening for years...into your GR should do nicely
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

The main genres i will be record are Hip Hop & R&B

Ill get the U87 and see how it sounds, apart from that are there any other mics you would all reccomened for those applications ?

Budget is 3000$
Old 27th December 2010
U87 Or Not ?

Buy a used one. A U87 and a nice tube mic and an SM7 cover just about all the vocal ground you'd need.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

get an older model 87... hate the ai model... way bright and sizzly and more expensive... doesn't make sense...
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I love the U87.
It's a really versatile mic, a workhorse.
It sounds good on almost every app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Buy a used one. A U87 and a nice tube mic and an SM7 cover just about all the vocal ground you'd need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogjeff View Post
get an older model 87... hate the ai model... way bright and sizzly and more expensive... doesn't make sense...
+1

Check this auction on eBay.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

u87
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

i thought about buying some alternatives of U87( brauner, microtech gefell) for a while but ended with U87. Most of the Clients knows U87 and wants to see it in the studio. and offcourse i like the sound of it
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
The main genres i will be record are Hip Hop & R&B
J R Rotem is using a U87 paired with a Avalon 737. Check out Iaz, Derulo etc
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Vintage U87 is one of the most fantastic mics made. Many times i prefer the U87 over U67. You can cut the whole album full of material only with that mic just changing pres and being carefull with positioning of the mic.

Tried the modern U87Ai many many times and never liked it much, too hyped up hi-end for my taste, not natural. But even U87Ai is a great mic, just not as universal as the old ones i've used.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

A U87 should never disappoint, it's a truly wonderful microphone that is meant to perform. From male and female vocals to acoustic guitar, drum overheads, piano mics, etc....I've used the U87 many times with excellent results. Honestly it's not my go-to microphone, but you can rarely go wrong with one. As to should YOU get the U87 well, that depends on YOU. The question is---WHY should YOU get one? What makes you want a U87, do you think you SHOULD have one? Are you recording other people that demand it or think they need to record through it? Is it something you've always wanted, have you used one before?

I know these questions seem trivial but before you should consider purchasing any product---I think these are fair questions for one to ask themselves. While I think the U87 is a fabulous microphone my experience over the years has led clients to calling me thinking this is what they need---but many times it was focusing on other aspects of the signal chain going with a lesser expensive microphone to better compliment and improve the signal chain. HOWEVER in your case you do have a killer pre and compressor soooooo not going to go wrong there :-)

One of my favorite microphones is the KIWI from BLUE, also a solid-state microphone that is incredible versatile. I really like the well-rounded bottom-end with a "buttery" smooth top that is just so clear with amazing presence. The KIWI isn't as versatile as a U87, I mean, I have no problems using the U87 on a screaming guitar cabinet but I wouldn't dare use the KIWI on it. The same thing with mounting them up over a drum kit---the Kiwi's DO sound great on drum overheads, but it's a delicate microphone.

There are many other microphones out there as well...my point is... buy what is best for you, not what everyone else thinks is best.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

the 87 ai...is a great mic...and is not brittle and bright...that's a myth
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDaddy View Post
the 87 ai...is a great mic...and is not brittle and bright...that's a myth
I agree, it's a great mic. But what i hear with my own ears is hopefully still pretty real. If you A/B the U87Ai and U87 and can still call the difference a myth...well...good for you.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

U87 Or Not ?

You Cant go wrong with u87. The most versatille mic ever.
I own a vintage p48 u87 and have used the new Ai u87 many times too...

Same capsule. Different amplifier components. To me different sound... Day and night.
My ears are used to it.

Go for it

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

There is definitely a difference between a older U87 and the ai version. To my ears at least I find the ai to have a lot more graininess that seems to be smoothed out considerably in the older version. Maybe this has something to do with how the older mics are aging, I dunno, but its noticable. I just recently used a u87ai on a few sources, including vocals, and didn't like it much at all because of this characteristic.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanEspinosa View Post
Same capsule. Different amplifier components.
Also different capsule. U87 has K87 capsule. U87A has K67 capsule together with different amp design.
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

yeah it's not the same mic at all...and the 87 ai is not brittle...if this is what you are experiencing, then your mic is broken.

I have also used vintage 87's and some of them actually sound dull...all depends on what shape they are in doesn't it.

If you buy a new 87ai, you'll be in great shape
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict
Very happy with my U87ai (I also have the Great River Pre and a Distressor, which makes a killer vocal chain - the U87ai sounds great with my UA solo 610 as well)
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDaddy View Post
yeah it's not the same mic at all...and the 87 ai is not brittle...if this is what you are experiencing, then your mic is broken.
You are the only one saying that it's brittle,btw, nobody else. I said it's a great mic but i just dont like the high-end of that mic and it sounds different than the original U87.

The U87Ai I have and have had were all bought new.

If some of your vintage U87's have sounded dull it's probably because they were not working correctly anymore.

Have you ever actually compared them side by side?
Old 28th December 2010
Every studio, engineer and serious vocalist should own at least one 87 that they have each carefully chosen because of the individual sound. They don't all sound alike, but there is a commonality to the sound of these.

If you're a soul based loud rock singer, an older U87 will appeal and one can point to great 70s vocalists using them as point of reference. Example: Ian Gillan.

Another slight variation on this that should be considered is the U89. Whilst the U87 is essential to most, the U89 is my favorite microphone for tenor vocalists. 5 polar patterns instead of 3, slightly smaller body.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

you'll almost never go wrong with an 87.

There might be a higher level of "right" on some sources/vocalists, but an 87 will almost never be "wrong."

Sometimes people grow disillusioned with extremely popular/standard things because they are seeking "special." U87 works so well that it's become commonplace... almost "ordinary." Which is actually a testament to how well it works.

It's good on such a wide range of voices that for your application, I really think it's the right move.
Old 28th December 2010
bought a mid-70's U-87 2 years ago for about 2k off the classifieds here. never been happier for so many things but especially as a great vocal mic. it has the classic sound...

U-87 --> ADL600 --> FF800

for me it was well worth the $$ sweet!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm no big fan of the U87 in general, but both models are very versatile when used right. The new ai has a bit less headroom (but you got the pad on the mic), and is a bit more bright, but it's not a big difference like some descripe here. Both should deliver in most cases, and if not, the mic or your skills are broken... I just find them boring sounding.

But i like other similar fet mics like the Microtech Gefell UM70/MV692 or the newer UMT70S or MT71S variations way more, just like a AKG C414 (except the XLII model). Both sound better and are as versatile, but don't carry the client-attracting name 'Neumann' off course.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I had a client with a pre AI U87. We A/B'd it to my brand new U87ai.
We were using a UA M610 and a UA LA2a.

We both preferred the U87AI. Maybe his mic needed cleaning, don't know, but it won pretty big.

I you have $3000 to spend, I would get the U87. There will be some people who call and ask if you have one and it's always good to say "you bet"!

I would look for a deal, there out there.
I got mine for $2400.00 new in the box on craigslist.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

U87's always had a positive polarity on the diaphragm...most older mics will need cleaning as this attracts dust & dirt
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose View Post
I had a client with a pre AI U87. We A/B'd it to my brand new U87ai.
We were using a UA M610 and a UA LA2a.

We both preferred the U87AI. Maybe his mic needed cleaning, don't know, but it won pretty big.

I you have $3000 to spend, I would get the U87. There will be some people who call and ask if you have one and it's always good to say "you bet"!

I would look for a deal, there out there.
I got mine for $2400.00 new in the box on craigslist.
Of course most of the vintage U87's are in serious need of cleaning etc. but that should be clear to every one especially at high-end forum. Comparing new U87Ai to 40 years old mic that hasnt been serviced is...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search