The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U87 Or Not ? Condenser Microphones
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Not sure i agree with this; the U87 often makes crappy vocalists sound good. Nothing like a higher end mike will reveal a bad vocalist (like myself!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelThomas View Post
It will attract clients and I've never heard results from a U87 that I didn't like. However, I have heard experiences where the U87 will REALLY show if you are a crappy vocalist or not. But I guess that stands true with a lot of high-end mics. Not sure if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I say go for it if you have the cash, heck I want one!
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Maniac

That's interesting, mine is in the 63.xxx range as well and it sounds pretty damn good.

Until I hear it next to a U47! Then it sound like it has a bandpass filter on it.

But in a rock tune the U87 might beat the U47. Even a lot of the time. Things sound A LOT different in a mix than they do soloed.

Again, a U87 works for many things, more versatile than almost any other mike. Plus snob appeal. It has a lot going for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDani View Post
Obviously there is a difference. I’ve got a couple of U87AI serial numbers 63.xxx and 94.xxx. Although rather similar both have a different easily distinguishable sound. The older one is mellower and slightly hotter. I couldn’t say which one I prefer. Depends of the source.
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecht View Post
The main genres i will be record are Hip Hop & R&B
Ill get the U87 and see how it sounds, apart from that are there any other mics you would all reccomened for those applications ?
Budget is 3000$
If it wasn't for the budget, I'd say Sony C800 (looks like an Uzi) into Avalon VT737 (BLING!!!).
And I'm only half joking.
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejbill View Post
Not sure i agree with this; the U87 often makes crappy vocalists sound good.
If I had a mic that could do that I would be rich
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
If I had a mic that could do that I would be rich
I said good, not great!
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
the U87 often makes crappy vocalists sound good.
I knew there was some reason I liked it on myself or all those years...
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Interesting! I prefer the old one on the voiceover, but liked the new model better on guitar and vocals.
Old 8th August 2011
TRY the U87, but compare it to other mics. Most engineers/vocalists I know have been able to find mics they prefer over the U87 for less money. You might find 2 or 3 mics you prefer and be able to purchase all of them for the same price.

No problem letting a thread give you suggestions, but how many studios out there have ProTools, a 414, a few SM57s, a U87, a Shure S7B, NS10s, Avalon 737, etc. just cause they heard those are the standards. Can that gear make great records? Of course! But to me if you own that whole list than you probably bought it from recommendations and not with your ears. Try out gear and find YOUR sound. There is even some great gear that won't be found at GC.
Old 8th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Interesting! I prefer the old one on the voiceover, but liked the new model better on guitar and vocals.
Shhh don't say that around here, they will burn you alive!
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoghat View Post
I highly recommend the Manley Reference Cardiod - the downside is there's no switchable polar patterns like on the 87 but I've used both extensively in the past and I think the Manley blows the 87 out of the water. Much smoother sounding but still has balls - beautiful top end on the Manley

Edit: Check out Killah Priest View From Masada, the verses were recorded with the Manley - I know they overdubbed the hook so I'm not sure what mic was used on that
The song View From Masada, or the entire album's verses? Interesting factoid, either way.
Old 29th February 2012
Gear Addict

I definitely agree that you should shop around.
The 87 is a wonderful utility mic that's pretty much an industry standard. Having said that, I just don't think the current price tag makes it a terribly sensible purchase. For what a new 87ai costs these days there are other choices out there; many of which might be a better fit. I'd check out everything I could get my hands on - ranging from Lawsons, Peluso, Brauner, Korby...the list goes on - before I'd commit over $3k for an 87. I just picked a completely refurbed UM57 from Bill Bradley for $2500 that knocks the stuffing out of my 87. It's worth really considering your options completely.

Maybe I'm showing my age but it just doesn't seem that long ago that the cost of a new 87 was in $1800 neighborhood -now that's almost doubled in spite of the fact that there are so many more competitive and even superior mics in that price range.
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

It's astonishing how much the prices have shot up on them recently.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search