The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brent Averill vs. John Hardy Single-Channel Preamps
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Brent Averill vs. John Hardy

As some of you know I have been test-driving a Brent AVerill 1073 and like it quite a lot. Just wondering though if those in the know can advise me as to whether the John Hardy M-1 is an even better choice for VO. I have pretty much narrowed it to these two and they are in the same price range.

Mics being used are the Gefell M930 and Sennheiser 416

I can always try out the John Hardy and may end up doing that. But some input here could save yet another trip to the post office, etc. and everything else that goes along with trying out yet more gear. Thanks.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
I've found the M1 to be a lot cleaner/clearer in character than a 1073 (BA or otherwise), hence probably better for VO work.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
Two totally different pres. Neve=big bottom, laser beam high mids, bigger than life...John Hardy=more of a true rep of the source, cleaner, more of a modern take.

For VO, I would kinda think the Hardy - but that's PURELY opinion. I SWEAR I turn the bass all the way down when listening to sports talk...that voice of God thing drives me insane.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Two totally different pres. Neve=big bottom, laser beam high mids, bigger than life...John Hardy=more of a true rep of the source, cleaner, more of a modern take.

For VO, I would kinda think the Hardy - but that's PURELY opinion. I SWEAR I turn the bass all the way down when listening to sports talk...that voice of God thing drives me insane.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've been looking for the same thing.

If you wanna go on the cheap, you can get both types with the 7th Circle..

They offer a Hardy style xfmr I/O with two Hardy 990 op amps, and you can also do the Carnhill xfmr I/O pre......

Both get you very near to the character of the Neve and Hardy.

Or - you can get a lunchbox now..... Hardy pre's soon to be 500 and the 1073LB....... (or Millenia, Grace vs. Avedis, Vintech, AML, Five Fish etc....)

Good luck on your search!!!!

I personally think it is a very nice option to have both, which is why I'm telling you about these cheaper options that might allow you the opportunity to afford both sounds.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

For VO also check the forssell SMP series,Martech MSS-10, Gordon and NPNG pre amps.
I use the gordon[in studio] and my cooper 208 mixer[on location] mic pres alot for VO..sounds really clean and natural.
tapehiss is right,the seventh circle stuff is a good way to go.very affordable
I love my Neve 10xx stuff but would never do VO w/ em.too colored.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you want to compare in the same kind of clean sound.
Please do this with the John Hardy against the JLM dual99v.

greetz,

Paul
Old 27th December 2010
nas
Lives for gear

I own a John Hardy M-1 so can only comment on that. This is an excellent pre and very versatile. It is as others have said cleanish but not sterile and has tons of depth and punch. The only thing I would add is it has a "wider" sound than for example an API which is more "in your face" and has a more focused sound. Get the Hardy m-1 version with the O/P transformer it sounds so good and gives the pre a little more character without coloring it too much.. it still stays on the cleanish side.

Easily one of the best purchases i've ever made.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

API sounds good but with my 416 which is a mid-heavy mic I wonder if it would be too much.

Also my Gefell M930 is pretty "forward" sounding so while the API is intriguing I am wondering if the Hardy is a better overall pick for VO

I gotta say though that generally I am not unhappy with the Brent AVerill, again I just keep hearing the John Hardy is a better all-rounder for VO apps.

Great River is a possibility as well. Or keeping the Brent Averill and adding the John Hardy or one of the others is possible as well...cuz I have to admit the thought of sending back the BAE is a tad bit painful...but I'm just trying to be practical even tho I am a bit of a slut...
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hardy
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Hardy all the way

I own 4 channels of Hardy M1, and it is an incredible choice for VO work. I also have a Chandler LTD1, API A2D, and have used Averill products in the past. They all have their place, and I love them all for their own personality offerings.....but the only one out of that list I would use for VO is the Hardy.

Just another opinion.

R
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

I own nothing but the Hardy. I've never tried another, so can't give you advice on which one would be more suitable for VO.

However, I did my research and ultimately went for the Hardy for purely VO work. I've never regretted the decision. IMO, you would want a clean sound for VO, and this unit has it. I can't imagine any VO artist being disappointed with a Hardy.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Don't let the word "clean" scare you away from the Hardy. It still provides a big presence with a lot of weight and girth. It's one of my favorite pres.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Alright, thanks slutz.....I'm gonna go for the John Hardy and hopefully be done with it.

But just for the record, the BAE is a very nice unit. I think it would work well for VO, I just get the impression that the JH will be even better.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I do a lot of VO work, and tend toward the cleaner end with my Buzz MA-2.2tx much of the time. But when I know I want a big, aggressive sound (particularly if I'm seeing the project through to the end), I don't hesitate to use my Aurora GTQC, which I imagine is in the same sonic league as your 1073. I'm sure the Hardy will be a great complement to your BAE, but it doesn't have to become your exclusive VO preamp.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Don't let the word "clean" scare you away from the Hardy. It still provides a big presence with a lot of weight and girth. It's one of my favorite pres.

very good point. the low end is very tight and bold with these amps. they may be clean, but they are big sounding and i think many people associate "clean" as being small and thin. this isn't the case. we did a drum take only using 4 m1's and it was perfect for that session.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure the Hardy will be a great complement to your BAE, but it doesn't have to become your exclusive VO preamp.
Hey Sean, thanks for your input. Right now I'm budgeting for only one pre, so the Hardy will have to be the all-rounder for now.

I may buy another BAE 1073 DMP if funds allow for another pre, and I feel the need for the additional flava. But for now I think the John Hardy should do the trick, based on the glowing recommendations I have seen.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ah, gotcha. I missed that you were only testing the BAE. Painful though it would be, if I had to choose between my Aurora and Buzz for a single, cover-all-bases preamp, I might have to go with the Buzz (though letting go of my GTQC would require violence). The Neve character is fantastic in most musical applications, but can definitely be overkill in post work. I haven't used the Hardy, but my impression is that the Jensens both in and out give it a touch of mojo that the Buzz doesn't have. When the 500 series version is released, I'll be checking it out. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks.

I gotta say, it was a bit painful sending back the BAE. But I think the John Hardy will make up for it.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

i think clean musical pre's like the hardy work on everything, and for v/o it's almost a requirement. But the rest can also be done with clean preamps. It may not be the best solution for all, but it surely will work. Hardy is among the best in the clean department. For other options, see posts aboveheh

If you like colour, nevesk (like the BAE) are among the best, but that colour doesn't work on anything... I personally never did work with BAE gear, but i hear it's a good neve-like one, and others who've used it probally will confirm this from first hand.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search