The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Multi-Channel Mic Preamps with ADAT out Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Multi-Channel Mic Preamps with ADAT out

Hello there

I have an Apogee Ensemble, and have been looking to expand the number of audio channels I can get into Logic, mainly for drums, but also for other stuff. The Ensemble comes with 8 channels of conversion, but you can also apparently use ADAT to get 8 more channels of audio I/O, without having to buy a whole new interface. I'm looking to get 4 extra channels at this point, so I can have 12 in total.

So, I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with using ADAT and the Ensemble, or any other Audio Interface?

2. What, in your opinion, is the best, 4 channel mic pre with ADAT out.

I've been looking at the Focusrite ISA 428MKII, as well as the Focusrite Liquid 4Pre. I've been finding it hard to find any other options.

Thanks guys!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

No experience with the Ensemble, but I've been using a pair of ISA428's with A/D for remote recording sessions for years. The pre's are decent and feature-laden, and the conversion quality is very satisfactory. I don't know if the mkII has the more recent Burr-Brown converters, but if it does I understand those are a step up. However, if I were in the market for a four channel pre with ADAT right now, I'd be looking seriously at the Universal Audio 4-710D.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

UA 4-710d hands down.
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Hey,

I have an Ensemble and I use (2) Focusrite 428's (linked) with the A/D card via ADAT lightpipe to the Ensemble. The 428's are clocked to the Ensemble as well.

This setup works great although I would recommend using a dedicated BNC connection for the word clock rather than clocking via the lightpipe.

The only real limitation with this setup is sample rate. But I usually record at 24 / 48 and have had no issues.

There are obviously many choices of multiple mic pres with a/d but it really depends on your budget....
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I have the ensemble and the ISA MkII without digital option. Both are great units. I would not hesitate to do this.

I use the Ensemble with an API A2D via spdif while tracking and a Waves maxxxbcl while mixing. Works great!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMassacre View Post
UA 4-710d hands down.
+1 thumbsup
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMassacre
UA 4-710d hands down.
I've been trying to find out, in another thread, how the 4-710d conversion stacks up to the ISA428 w/ card. In my opinion, the A/D in the ISA holds up pretty well to the Rosetta 800 and the Digi 192. I'd love it if the UA is in the same league... but I am thinking that, with all of the other features packed in this box at $2k, that just might be asking for too much. Any input?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixlrose View Post
I've been trying to find out, in another thread, how the 4-710d conversion stacks up to the ISA428 w/ card. In my opinion, the A/D in the ISA holds up pretty well to the Rosetta 800 and the Digi 192. I'd love it if the UA is in the same league... but I am thinking that, with all of the other features packed in this box at $2k, that just might be asking for too much. Any input?
I ran a signal through the UA unit quite a few times and it matched up almost perfectly (visually). Focusrite's was relatively different from the original signal after A/D-D/A 5 times... much more so than the UA. I never tested the 192 I/O at the same time but I always found the 96 I/O's converters to be something around or below the Behringer ADA's. This was in a studio where they used Pro Tools HD non-native and therefore required the interface, but bought the Behringer's cheap converters to improve the quality to that of Digidesign's. That's why I just had to put them head to head and was pretty surprised at the results, visually and audibly.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search