The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody Still Using S770 Sampler? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Anybody Still Using S770 Sampler?

I don't know... they just sound really good to my ears... better then soft synth samplers?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubercraft View Post
I don't know... they just sound really good to my ears... better then soft synth samplers?
What is that, like a 12 bit sampler? I dunno... hard to believe a 24 bit soft sampler wouldn't sound better if by better you mean... well better. If you like the sound of low bit depth samplers sure... though I'd personally just a soft sampler with a bit crusher. The only hardware synth I'd really use these days is a K2000 and only because it's also an amazing synth and real bargin these days.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

I use the 2 remaining 760's in my rack on occasion. Of all the hardware samplers from that era, I like them the best. And no, not 12 bit. They were 16bit. The converters were ballsy and warm for being digital. I think it was in their filters. Definately a cool vibe to be had off them. To this day, there is stuff in there that does not translate or sound as well in my Gigastudio, Gplayer or Kontakt as it does coming out of the 760. thumbsup
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I still have an array of 760's as well as SP-700 players. Even though I have Toontrack, EastWest, and various other libraries, there are many times that the Roland stuff is what works in the track. It just sounds great. I still reach for that stuff rountinely. A great asset...

Trivia....Pretty much the entire music track to Cake's "Never There" was samples of the band's live instruments, sampled individually as loops in the 770.That was done before we had non-linear editing, and we needed to assemble the song in pieces for various reasons. Although the vocals and a few other things were on 2", most of the main instrument tracks were fired from a sequencer live that was locked to smpte. It was primitive, but it worked.

Kirt Shearer
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I still have two Roland S-760's in my rack... and only fire them up occasionally to make sure they still work, but yeah nothing modern sounds like them to me. I just prefer the convenience of the software synths workflow.
rsp
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I have three S760s and am always using at least one. Get the Denny Jaeger series for this and listen to the keypads they have in there. As close to heaven as I've heard on a Keyboard.....
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

I have two 760's and a 750 left from the old days. And, yeah, they do sound better then the same samples running from kontakt. I still use them once in a while because I can tweak things a certain way and I agree with the post above that the filters have a lot to do with making them sound the way they do.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have an old S-750. Bought it new in '91 maybe. Recorded a ton of tunes and film music with it. I rarely power it up any more, but it still is patched into the board.

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I was able to give mine up when it was promised that the Fantom could play the sample libraries from it. Supposedly mine does, but I've never tried it. I have some nice libraries including the Jaeger.

Thanks for reminding me to do this!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
S760 here. Allways powered on.

Funny, i bought mine from Drbill. I rate its sound better than MPC3000 or Emu E6400, talking 16bit samplers.

32bit float/96khz pristine soft sampler does not necessarily sounds better in my game.
They are so useful...but i don't use them for the same thing.

When i use my S760 i don't compensate its lack of depth with a plugin chain.
Actually i resample VSTis thru S760 because they do sound better that way.

When i want a nasty-modulated-filtered-solid-reece > S760
Consistent sub bass with depth > S760
Filtering with balls > S760
real filter-mangling capabilities> S760

(I still don't get why manufacturers seemed to think everybody need pristine-uncolored-state-of-the-boring-art sound when they are building instruments nowadays.
Guys like me are forced to be stuck in the past with floppies, scsi...rocking their SP's, S950's, Emax's...

I can only see Elektron and analog synth/modular manufacturers trying to give us some great sounding gear with personality.

But lots of musicians still want hardware samplers with real VCA VCF, like the EIII was.

I pray the samplist gods that some Roland-Emu-Elektron-Studio Electronics partnership will do my 5000€ (i guess it can't be less) analog path monster sampler a day !

Quote:
The converters were ballsy and warm for being digital
Weren't they Apogee's inside? Or it was in the da400 ?
Where did i rode that ?
Old 28th December 2010
Deleted #8726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam an huel View Post
S760 here. Allways powered on.

Funny, i bought mine from Drbill. I rate its sound better than MPC3000 or Emu E6400, talking 16bit samplers.

32bit float/96khz pristine soft sampler does not necessarily sounds better in my game.
They are so useful...but i don't use them for the same thing.

When i want a nasty-modulated-filtered-solid-reece > S760
Consistent sub bass with depth > S760
Filtering with balls > S760
real filter-mangling capabilities> S760

(I still don't get why manufacturers seemed to think everybody need pristine-uncolored-state-of-the-boring-art sound when they are building instruments nowadays.
Guys like me are forced to be stuck in the past with floppies, scsi...rocking their SP's, S950's, Emax's...

I can only see Elektron and analog synth/modular manufacturers trying to give us some great sounding gear with personality.

But lots of musicians still want hardware samplers with real VCA VCF, like the EIII was.

I pray the samplist gods that some Roland-Emu-Elektron-Studio Electronics partnership will do my 5000€ (i guess it can't be less) analog path monster sampler a day !

Incredible post!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

This is the Hi-end section

Not lo...

Anyway, I used to have two S760´s in the late 90´s and they indeed sounded very nice with the best Orchestral Libraries around. Roland samplers at that time used a uncommon emphasize / de-emphasize technology and when recording/sampling vocals one trick was to disable "de-emphasize" when playback, which gave the vocals a nice exciter effect.

But guys now it is 2010 and soon 2011...

CDXtract sample converter app can perfectly well convert the S760 libraries to your choice of software sampler like Kontakt 4 or EXS24.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
CDXtract sample converter app can perfectly well convert the S760 libraries to your choice of software sampler like Kontakt 4 or EXS24.
Indeed. But it just doesn't sound as good. heh heh
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
From my experience ,not!
...and I wont even comment on the ability of Kontakt 4 to batch convert Roland S-7xx format.
I have an SP-700 and a 760 and they're not going anywhere.
They're perfect for filling in the lifeless Kontakt *ish.

Cheers
P.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Indeed. But it just doesn't sound as good.
Words!

Quote:
This is the Hi-end section...But guys now it is 2010 and soon 2011..
There is much more inside S760 than what it was used a lot for: using orchestral sample banks to score 90's movies.

That it is outclassed for years in pro-world for some use: YES!

But not for creating/playing music with a really good/full sound.
S760 is still one of the higher end sounding sampler ever built!
May be everybody forgot S750-60-70 definitely got a higher-end class sound than anything called a soft-sampler...from a synthesist's point of view.

In the same manner, one can rate last Emu samplers transposition way better than any sample transposed in Kontakt.
Big orchestra librarys of nowadays do not used that feature anymore.
Ok, across a note or two sometime.
They use the full ram capability of computers or HD streaming because soft sampler sounds better like that: with large multisampled banks and velocity crossfades!

Now!
Sample a single Minimoog note in NI Kontakt and in Roland S7xx.
Spread it across all the keyboard
Tweak envelopes lfos filters on both.
Synthesize some leads, bass, sub bass patches
Layer your Minimoog wave to synthesize chorused pads.

And now you can cry... heh
Because you were born with a laptop in your hands and never been educate to use a single realworld electronic instrument.
YES! You little sheep! You should pray the samplists gods to accept your apologies because you couln't know how it does sound way better in a S760, you were not aware. hehhehheh

(And thanks for the de-emphasize trick thumbsup )
Old 29th December 2010
Deleted #8726
Quote:
And now you can cry... heh
Because you were born with a laptop in your hands and never been educate to use a single realworld electronic instrument.
YES! You little sheep! You should pray the samplists gods to accept your apologies because you couln't know how it does sound way better in a S760, you were not aware. hehhehheh

Where's the nuance in that?

Well. I own the Emu 4XT Ultra and AKAI S5000 samplers. Having the Emu sampler as beat machine and AKAI as well you will have good fundamentals when it comes down to great sounding sources IMO.

Other then that I think VSTi samplers still have a good function. There are typical functions on the hardware samplers that softsamplers will never have, same for hardware samplers that do has synthesis limitation what software will not suffer from. So yeah why not use BOTH! Personally I use my HW samplers as main beats and everything glitched and more experimental with the Kontakt sampler.

So people may think -and are certainly in their right doing so- the best sounding samplers are hardware, however, both worlds have its benefits. that is why I choose for both and not staring blind to one platform, only.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Personally I use my HW samplers as main beats and everything glitched and more experimental with the Kontakt sampler.
Same here.
When i don't compose soft only, or hardware only.
I'm lucky enough to have both too, and go from one or the other without fear.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

still have my s-760. paid something ******** for it new in '97, like $3k or more. people are desperately trying to dump them off for a hundred bucks on ebay nowadays, and with no takers!

i used to use it a lot to stretch and mangle things, destroy the bit rate, "industrial" type stuff, etc. stuff that plug-ins can do instantly now, but there was something magical about the three-minute wait while the 760 processed those "big" tasks... only to hear this garbled, 3-bit, atari-in-blender sounding sonic orgasm!

honestly, if they were considered "high-end" vintage gear that could fetch the initial investment or more, i'd definitely sell it. but since they're only worth like a dozen bucks anymore, it still sits at the bottom of my rack, right below the ol' tascam da-30. maybe someday i'll fire up the old commodore monitor and see what kind of crazy 90's sampling secrets the zip drive is keeping.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

i miss my 770. man it had a nice sound to the converters. I should find one to see if i can resurrect some of my old sample libraries. they were really nice to play with
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually i resample VSTis thru S760 because they do sound better that way......
Hmmm.. wow & LOL..... such way was not coming in my head.... need to try, never did ...... though I play ASR-10/EMU E4 in stack...
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Hey HCL, I don't do that all the time but it is definiteley nice to get, for say, a Reaktor's Metaphysical Function soundscape tweakable in a S760.
Old 31st December 2010
Deleted #8726
Quote:
Same here.
When i don't compose soft only, or hardware only.
I'm lucky enough to have both too, and go from one or the other without fear.
Yeah sampler brother! We do love our sampler stuff, don't we?

Yes yes. A fertile sampling year 2011 would be, come get some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandCrafted Lab View Post
Hmmm.. wow & LOL..... such way was not coming in my head.... need to try, never did ...... though I play ASR-10/EMU E4 in stack...
HCL!!!

Just a couple of months till the order placement of The Precious...The Precious Wil be Mine! (summing mixer )

Later,
Den
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Guru

I'm not sure that any translation from Roland to any other format runs the Roland de-emphasis algorithm on the Roland samples. so they won't sound the same. They'll be too bright.

if anything does run the de-emphasis, the peak values of the samples could end up being different too. maybe less important though.

Translator is more likely to properly de-emphasize them but then some of the Rolands own optimization and sound programming will be lost.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I use the 2 remaining 760's in my rack on occasion. Of all the hardware samplers from that era, I like them the best. And no, not 12 bit. They were 16bit. The converters were ballsy and warm for being digital. I think it was in their filters.
Better than the 770? I have both (obtained recently from a friend) but only sparked up the 770, thinking it would surely have a better sound. I do love it, but now you are making want to A/B with the 760.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you just run audio through the sampler like it is an effect processor just to get its sound and then record it back into the computer without ever being actually recorded in the sampler? (wait, is that what resampling is?)

With the 770, I wonder if you could record output from a VSTi into the sampler analog and then record it back into the computer over S/PDIF and get a great sound?
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

The 770 sounds amazing IMHO. I absolutely love the 750/770 series.
Old 19th October 2012
Gear Nut

When I upgraded to Lion and PT10, I discovered that my G-Force M-Tron samples did not work anymore. After my livid rage and indignation (I upgraded to be MORE compatible after all), I realized that I could break out the mellotron samples on the old 760 and do what I needed to do. And I thought I would never have use for it again.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

What a great thread! Used to own a couple of 760's, great samplers, ballsy converters and great filters! Only thing I don't miss with the HW sampler years is the endless fiddling with SCSI ID's, Jaz- and Zip-drives...

I think I've owned most of the HW-samplers (ok, no Fairlight...) at one time or another, starting with the Roland S-10 with its 256Kb memory. The 760 was one of the best sounding in my opinion, it also had some great orchestral libraries. Hmmm...eBay.....

Stein Tore
Old 19th October 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by initself View Post
Better than the 770?
Not sure. I was under the impression that the converters/etc. were basically the same, but I could be wrong. Congrats on the sampler. As long as you can deal with the user interface ,they are still wonderful samplers.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Different converters IIRC (there are some who say the 770 had Apogee converters...no idea if that is true, but they are great whatever)
I love the Roland interface (with a mouse and screen of course!) Once you get the hang of their strange labeling ways, it's all good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search