The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EMT 140 stereo for hire, sort of
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hello!!

I am just on the verge of buying an EMT 140 stereo SS plate, but oh, the piano-removal-crane-hire, the setting up of the plate etc. etc. I was thinking, it would be so much more convenient if I could hire someone to process the tracks for me.

I primarily use my studio for mastering, having amassed an array of amazing analogue gear over the years, but I also record my own records here.

And that's what the plate would be for. So, I have two questions for you all. Is there anywhere out there that has a 140 stereo and would process a couple of dozen tracks for me (mainly vocal tracks) out there (for a fee of course) and, in the opinion of people who are used to plates, would I be satisfied with the results without being able to tweak the decay time? I suppose I could provide a digitally processed example of what I'm aiming for.

Or perhaps I should just go for it. I have the cash saved up after all..
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

My plate is absolutely irreplaceable. If you can make it happen it's SO worth it. That being said I'd be happy to process some tracks for you, just drop me a line. In my experience they all sound a bit different from each other. I'd say ours is on the slightly darker /sweeter side.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I do that for people.
We have an EMT 140 with the Martech upgrade.
Lemme know via PM.
Old 26th December 2010
I just love plates, and it's so true that each one has its own unique sound... No two pieces of metal are exactly the same. We've got a bright sounding EMT here at our place. I've attempted to make it darker (tuning it low) but it's inherently bright and shimmery and that's the way it wants to sound. GET THE EMT!
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

PMs sent. Thanks everyone.

I really think that I might get the plate though. Perhaps I should flip a coin?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have a Lawson/ Audicon "The Plate". While it sounds different from the only 140 I've ever used, it sounds wonderful. I would say that if you figure out how to convey the predelay/ decay times to someone with an EMT, having the reverb returns recorded and sent to you would be far better than a facsimile of a 140 using a digital box. There is a density and sheen to real plates that I've never heard replicated with a digital device. Compared to digital reverbs, I feel I can use less of the plate and still hear it, and that I can use more of it without muddying the mix.

Buy the plate and put off the mix until you get it set up, or send the tracks to be processed.
Old 27th December 2010
How to move an EMT 140 plate reverb

For anyone who does take the real deal route, it's worth reading this for tips on how to pack and move one:
EMT Tips
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Another idea is for you to have Capital run some tracks for you in the chamber and track that to tape. I bet you'd like what you got back!

FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells View Post
I just had a session in studio B at Capitol yesterday and spoke to the studio manager about this. They're really of the mind that they will lose sessions if they sample the chambers. They are hoping to introduce a service where you can send them audio online and they'll put it through your chamber of choice. Not so bad!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Another idea is for you to have Capital run some tracks for you in the chamber and track that to tape. I bet you'd like what you got back!

FYI
We are still discussing the idea of running outside stuff through the chambers, but haven't opened up that service yet. At this point, you need to call and book studio time to do that. It's worth checking into, it might not be as expensive as you think.

Steve
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
M. . . . .In my experience they all sound a bit different from each other. . . . .
True true. I have two 140's and they both sound different. One is brighter, one darker, and each have a slightly different texture to them.

j
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

Buy the plate! You know it's the right thing to do!

Gregory Scott - ubk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search