The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compressor versatile for guitars/bass/drums...(tired of the distressor) Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Dragon

+1 on the Steven Slate Dragon

Audio Demos

I tried distressor on my voice for a while. Lots of fun, but it does sound sterile, or, say, more sterile than an old urei 1176 I compared it to. The distressor is sharp and in your face while the 1176 is rounder and has more life to it.

So I ordered an Slate Dragon. If the hype is real this is a 1176 turned into a swiss army tool. We´ll see!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

daking.

do it.

be happy.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I'm really fond of my Daking as a versatile and musically pleasing traking/mixing compressor. I actually replaced my Distressor with one and haven't looked back.

Brad

ha. great minds think alike. heh

ps. hi brad !

jchristopherhughes
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

I think a few guys will disagree, but...

... I'm currently testing the Chandler Germanium Compressor for tracking different sources... and I really love it so far. I just recorded some acoustic guitars and it's really amazing what this thing can add to it. The only problem is... it might take a few hours to check out a cool sound at first, because it has a very wide range of colors inside. I'm gonna try electric guitars tonight...
Old 30th December 2010
Studio Electronics C2s
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'll second the Pete's Place BAC 500. For all of the applications that you listed and more, the BAC would be my choice. The customer service is top notch as well. Peter, Lisa, and Tony are all a pleasure to do business with and they make world class products.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

opto comp

dw fern,
veri mu
cl1b
is the daking opto?
C
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
daking.

do it.

be happy.

best,

jchristopherhughes
What compressors would you compare the Daking to? Is it 1176ish? Or is it something else?

What kind of color/texture does it have?

Does it tighten or loosen the bottom end in normal mode with the sidechain eq out of the equation?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Compressor versatile for guitars/bass/drums...(tired of the distressor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Try no compression when tracking. The cheapest and most cost effective way to improve the sound.
Although I recognize the idea I think it very much has to do with the method of working method and with the medium. Using compression when tracking can give you the right "colour" for further development towards the final result. An "analogue tone" before going into a DAW has it's advantages.
Some people like to record a sound which does not need very much alterations in the end mix.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Byrd View Post
Can anyone tell me what the advantages are of the Purple MC77 compared to the Universal Audio 1176 re-issue or the 2-1176 unit?
I can compare the sound of an MC76 to the UA units. Purely subjectively, of course, so good luck interpreting this... FWIW I've read that MC76 & MC77 sound different, so take this with a grain of salt.

MC76 sounds urgent & "in your face" relative to the 1176LN reissue, which has a very musical "refinement" and smoothness. I mix & match, depending on what I'm after. Generally speaking, on a big rock mix I would use MC76 on lead vocals, whereas 1176LN would shine on a more elegant acoustic tune. That said, I love 'em both, and wouldn't hesitate to use either one for either application, and have a pair of each in my compressor rack.

Re: the 2-1176, I had one for a few days. Although "The 1176 Sound" is present in the unit, the meter and the settings were different enough to an 1176 that it made more sense for me to send it back and get another pair of 1176s. In my case, I'm so accustomed to having the 1176 knobs react a certain way that it was worth the few hundred extra dollars and the extra rack-space real estate. If you haven't spent many years with an 1176, you'll be able to start with a clean slate and get the same sounds out of the 2-1176, albeit at settings different to what you'd expect from an 1176LN.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Byrd View Post
What compressors would you compare the Daking to? Is it 1176ish? Or is it something else?

What kind of color/texture does it have?

Does it tighten or loosen the bottom end in normal mode with the sidechain eq out of the equation?
Its Fet, people say its like a cleaner 1176. I have the Fet 2 (a pair of them) which has transformers on the I/O. It sounds different than the Fet 3 which has no transformers. It sounds really awesome, but man I really wish it had faster release modes. I'm thinking about asking Geoff if its a possible mod.

Really great compressor, but from my limited time with it I don't know how someone could use it as their only piece with 500 ms being the slowest release time. (Thankfully, its not my only piece). I am beginning to grow more fond of slow release constants though.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

MC77 and BAC-500 are the ones I've been most happy with. Nail for more subtle sounding compression and natural sounds, like acoustic guitar. Didn't think the Germs got aggressive enough compression wise though I like all the tonal variations. Oh and of course the mighty Zener has not been mentioned, for drums it cannot be beat!
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Head

Anyone compared the Purple MC77 with the MOHOG AUDIO MoFET76 Limiting Amplifier?

MOHOG AUDIO makes their own version of the 1176 here:

Products - Mohog Audio
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Look at the thread that has a poll of people's favorite 1176s. Del Cosmos compares the Purple and the Mohog in that thread.
Old 18th January 2011
500 series nutjob

grab a lunchbox and a couple Pete's Place Audio BAC's and some API 257's!
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Anything in the FCS line improves on the Distressor issues referred to by the OP, and the units are super versatile in degree of control. My Distressors have moved to the back seat on every session for a long while.
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Addict

Try the Chandler Germanium comp. Can do what you want in a splendid fashion. Promise.
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Anything in the FCS line improves on the Distressor issues referred to by the OP, and the units are super versatile in degree of control. My Distressors have moved to the back seat on every session for a long while.
What is the FCS line?
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardpike View Post
+1!! Not everything needs to be compressed.
What the heck ever happened to dynamics?

Everything is "meters pinned" these days especially in rock styles (i.e. New country, pop, nu-rock, nu-metal and heavy metal).

I've loaded in some new recent albums into PT lately to look at how much everything was compressed, and it's like a solid black rectangle.

Now where's the musicality in that?
I think I'll name my next album:

SOLID BLACK RECTANGLE!
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Head

Again,

What is the FCS line???
Old 20th February 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I know this suggestion won't be very slutty, but how about having Audio Upgrades remove the tone-sucking and size-shrinkng from your Distressor through some tasteful modifications. There is another GS user who did just that and he is quite pleased with the results. A search should turn up his thread.

I'm really fond of my Daking as a versatile and musically pleasing traking/mixing compressor. I actually replaced my Distressor with one and haven't looked back.

Brad
I did a search and couldn't find anything about the Distressor mods. Will you tell us more about it?
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Here ya go.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...istressor.html

I still stand by this. I wish i had another one so I had a pair. Maybe some day but now I am focused on other things.
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOHAMI View Post
So I ordered an Slate Dragon. If the hype is real this is a 1176 turned into a swiss army tool. We´ll see!

... And?
Old 21st February 2011
Gear Head

Hammock: FCS = Foote Control Systems

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search