The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lomo 19A19! Condenser Microphones
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Lomo 19A19!

My dad bought two of these years back. And last year I had to re-record some vocals for a local rock band and borrowed one. It sounded very dark and dull so we ended up using another microphones instead.

I've had both mics in my studio for a while now but never felt that I wanted to use them. SHAME on me!

Yesterday I looked at the freq plot that came for each mic. I noticed that they looked slightly different from eachother. So earlier today I gave them a run through a Chandler LTD-1 and recorded some vocals.

Hot damn! These mics smokes! What a low end! Very U47-ish!
Both of the Lomo's share the same bottom end but still very different sounding from eachother. A balanced midrange, the plot shows a little bump in the higher freq on one mic but it sounds like it has a lp-filter. Sounds a bit dull but very varm. The other mic of the two is my favourite, the midrange sounds similar but the top end is more boosted and opened(think c12) which the plot also shows.

Okey the Lomo 19A19 isn't a U47 or a C12. But damn what a beautiful sounding microphone!

So my questions...

- Anyone else with different sounding Lomo 19A19's?
- I can't see much hype about these mics, why???
- What's your favourite preamp with this mic?
- What are the price? I want to buy more of these! heh
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'll take the dark one off your hands for a few hundred!

Seriously these are dark horses. They are in fact, on par with any vintage Neumann, regardless of what some may say. I have a pair, fairly well matched so I can't speak to the differences, but it could be a capacitor out of tolerance or perhaps something in the electronics going awry.

But when working 100% these easily rival any of the "big boys". They have decent self noise, and while the bottom begins to roll off around 30hz, they are stunning in the lower mids and generally have a very flattering top end. Smooth would describe it.

I'd say there's little hype because they're pretty hard to get nowadays, and people just don't like to admit that their favorite Neumanns may be a bit overvalued. Also, frankly, the lack of patterns on the Lomos make them not as versatile in placement, to be sure.

As for price, they seem to sell around the $2000usd mark these days, though there is one for sale in the classifieds here for much less, and it's in great shape, totally original. Many have been bastardized over the years by people, so it's not easy to find an original unmodified. When you do, grab it.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJamesGoody View Post
Seriously these are dark horses. They are in fact, on par with any vintage Neumann, regardless of what some may say. I have a pair, fairly well matched so I can't speak to the differences, but it could be a capacitor out of tolerance or perhaps something in the electronics going awry.

Many have been bastardized over the years by people, so it's not easy to find an original unmodified. When you do, grab it.
Yea both are dark... But one is slightly darker.

I don't know if they've been modified though... I think I have some inside pictures on my external hard drive... will post them later...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Here's two pictures from one of the mics...
Attached Thumbnails
Lomo 19A19!-lomo1.jpg   Lomo 19A19!-lomo2.jpg  
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Looks right enough..... though I think you have perhaps a newer one. I;ve not seen that KA logo toward the bottom. If I'm not mistaken, they made these into the 80's, so it could be you have a late one.

But the internals appear unmodified. Kudos either way!
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJamesGoody View Post
Looks right enough..... though I think you have perhaps a newer one. I;ve not seen that KA logo toward the bottom. If I'm not mistaken, they made these into the 80's, so it could be you have a late one.

But the internals appear unmodified. Kudos either way!
A bad thing is that I can't use them for stereo mic'ing. A good thing though is that I now have 2 good sounding microphones! I was a little afraid that they wasn't real ones, but fake or not they do sound great! I can't wait to hear the next client's comment when I put one of these infront of him! And by that I mean the look of the mic. heh

And I was actually saving alot of money to buy a new microphone but I think I will be getting some nice outboards instead.

How does the modified/fake sounds like? Close to the real ones? From what I understand there was someone who bought the Lomo bodies and then didn't even follow the scheme while he was building the mics? Right? I also found some pictures where the capsule was smaller.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Lomo mics can be a real crapshoot these days... you never know who's been in them and what they've done... and even some Russians can't tell you what they are supposed to be. If someone wants to sell one and it doesn't look original, well then, it was "just a revision" that we haven't seen! That's the usual story I hear. All we have to go on is the paper trail. If the mic does not reflect what was originally printed on paper by Lomo, questions should be asked! Yours looks like the most important part is original, the capsule. I've not seen one from the late 70's as yours appears to be, but I would only question the lower part of the mic where the capacitor and transformer are located... looks different than most originals I've seen. D James Goody said it right when he put them on the level of vintage U47's and C12's. I still remember hearing my first 19a19 after years of hearing 47's, 67's and C-12's and I just could not believe how good it sounded for the money... the only catch is, it's a one trick pony, cardioid only. The capsule by the way is a direct copy of the CK-12 capsule out of a C-12. They did a lot of copying behind the iron curtain...

-Milt
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

I had a mis-matched pair several years ago. LOVED them on upright bass and electric guitar. I agree they perform as well as many of the European tube mics. Sold mine for way too little to someone who sold them for much more :-(
Old 27th June 2011
Here for the gear

schemtacis

some body got the schematics for this legendary valve mic ??
it would be a fun project to try to remake this one to a newer version
Old 27th June 2011
Gear Guru

I wish my dad had a pair of Lomo mics!
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I wish my dad had a pair of Lomo mics!
Old 4th August 2016
Gear Nut

New revision - Lomo mic Comparrisons

Hi just seen this post... I'm quite late on the band waggon it would seem but i'm interested in getting a Lomo mic to use as a mono overhead to blend with my two stereo. I'd also like to use it on vocals amongst other things...

So far, I've been advised a 19a9 or a 19a19... I can't find much information on either.

Has anyone had any experience of using both and which would they recommend for the applications I mentioned and why?

Any comment much appreciated

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search