The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ensonic DP4 anybody still dig them? Multi-Effects Processors (HW)
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Ensonic DP4 anybody still dig them?

I just picked up a Ensonic DP4 processor I was wondering if anybody has any feed back on it???

Thanks,

Merry Christmas!
Old 25th December 2010
Harmless Wacko

Loved.

Greatest cheapo FX box ever.

SM.
Old 25th December 2010
Ensonic DP4 anybody still dig them?

I don't thinking this was a cheapo box at release, but I have very nice memories of it. 'Dark Plate' (or was it dark verb?) was my favorite preset and goto vocal verb in the 90's
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

Cut my first solo vocal through it-in 1993,I was in heaven.Just sold it for $192 on ebay,just wasn't getting any play next to dps-v77,ksp8,Lex PCM bundle.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Love it and use it almost every day. I tend to run it as duel stereo processor because I haven't had a hankering to start messing with a 4 serial engine effects. I actually like the "Warm Room" subtly mixed in, "Chorus Plate", and "Versatile Hall" to start with.

May just be the way I mix, but I find that while I leave the input at unity, I tend to crank the outputs to get the best sound without clipping.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Abso - Frickin - Lutely

Wood Room, Ambience & Reverb Programs.

Great Distortion, Amp Sim & Phaser ...
Old 26th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
Loved.

SM.

It was not really cheap when we first bought it.
I loved that thing.
One of the most underrated outboard FX ever.
Chorus, vocoder, even reverbs were great.

Just to add that i always thought Ensoniq's effects that were built in their synths like ASR 10 were absolutely brilliant
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

There is a Yahoogroup for DP4 users.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Loved.

SM.
OUCH! Somebody shoulda clued me in. I spent $1k for mine. Still use it so got my $ worth.
JP
Old 27th December 2010
$250 on Ebay

ENSONIQ (DP/4) PARALLEL EFFECTS PROCESSOR*USED! - eBay (item 290509537323 end time Jan-05-11 22:00:19 PST)

now watch - there will be a run on them after this thread and next week they'll double in price!
Old 27th December 2010
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymio View Post
OUCH! Somebody shoulda clued me in. I spent $1k for mine. Still use it so got my $ worth.
JP
Huh?

I pretty sure I paid about $1300 for each of my 3 as far as I remember. Bought them all as brand new kit. First a DP/4, followed by 2 DP4+.

Like I said.

Great Cheepo box.

Wasn't intended as a slur in any way. They were VERY cost effective for what they DID for the day.

Economy of scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
It was not really cheap when we first bought it.
I loved that thing.
One of the most underrated outboard FX ever.
Chorus, vocoder, even reverbs were great.

Just to add that i always thought Ensoniq's effects that were built in their synths like ASR 10 were absolutely brilliant
The OTTO chip. Same exact chip in the DP4 as the ASR-10. Had 2 of those as well!!! Whoooeee!!!

HOHOHO.

Best regards,

SM.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Huh?
Like I said.

Great Cheepo box.
It doesn't ring any truer no matter how many times you write it.

It was not a "cheapo box". After using one in a friend's studio I purchased a DP Pro.

Very good quality sounds.
Old 31st December 2010
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz View Post
It doesn't ring any truer no matter how many times you write it.

It was not a "cheapo box". After using one in a friend's studio I purchased a DP Pro.

Very good quality sounds.
Sure was inexpensive for what it did!

LMFBO.

This site is a trip.

SM.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz View Post
It doesn't ring any truer no matter how many times you write it. It was not a "cheapo box".
I guess we should all stop eating our party pies, and go take ourselves to another party. The Fact Police are here.
Old 31st December 2010
Quote:

SM.
Don't know about that Slipp. My vote would probably go to the Zoom 1201.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
I paid 1,000 UK pounds for mine in 1993. It was a pretty cool machine. I sold it 3 years ago for $450 NZ. You can run it as 4 mono fxs, or 2 mono fxs and one stereo fx, or dual stereo fxs, or as one huge monstrous fx. I did not dig the reverbs, but the choruses, phasers and flangers were truly exceptional. I recall they were a lot warmer than the chorus and flanging FXs on my Eventide H8000FW, Lexicon PCM80 and TC M5000.
Old 31st December 2010
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Don't know about that Slipp. My vote would probably go to the Zoom 1201.
Holy Cow!

Now THAT'S a REALLY cheap box!!

Forgot about that one!

They were blowing them out at Manny's in NYC at one point for like $89 or something crazy. I dunno.

I just remember being amazed when I finally HEARD one.

Sounded pretty great but almost ZERO control. No MIDI. Bedlam.

Ring Mod, Chorus and Phaser all hysterically great if memory serves.

You're good like that Thrill!!!

Best regards,

SM.
Old 1st January 2011
Quote:
Holy Cow!

Now THAT'S a REALLY cheap box!!

Forgot about that one!

They were blowing them out at Manny's in NYC at one point for like $89 or something crazy. I dunno.

I just remember being amazed when I finally HEARD one.

Sounded pretty great but almost ZERO control. No MIDI. Bedlam.

Ring Mod, Chorus and Phaser all hysterically great if memory serves.

You're good like that Thrill!!!

Best regards,

SM.
And my fave the auto filter.

In terms of a Mannys Blow out... the Yamaha SPX-990 bar none. Very underated piece with probably the most useful bread and butter type of basic spaces in a box. They won't knock you out right away when you first try them, but in a full mix they are just right. It still in use in the racks by some of the top cats(Ed Cherney,Humberto Gatica). Its probably because most of the patches were done by real working engineers all over Europe. I think Sony tried to do a similar thing with their DPS-V55 here in USA(I think Joe Chiccarelli contributed a couple patches for it) but it didn't go over as well.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

So people are giving the guy with the half million dollar console sht for calling something as cheap that cost a grand new?
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The OTTO chip. Same exact chip in the DP4 as the ASR-10. Had 2 of those as well!!! Whoooeee!!!

SM.

If the DP4 uses the same exact chip as the ASR-10, does the DP4 have that same distinct sound as the ASR-10? I don't know if it was the pre's in the ASR-10 (or something else) but every time I sampled in it. it had a distinct sound (to me). I wanted to get an ASR-10 rack and use it with Pro Tools as an external effects or insert effects. Possible send a lot of my sounds through the ASR-10 and back to PT. Could the DP4 be a cheaper alternative?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
I used the DP4 with ProTools as an external FX.It sounded great.I regret selling it. Buy one as they are cheap and reliable. I read some where that the DP4 sounds warmer than the DP4 Plus (which is less noisey). The original DP4 can be a bit hissy if you crank the in/out levels.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

loved the Darth Vader patch!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search