The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
K&H O300 - Opportunity to get them new for cheap while I ordered Focal Twin6 Studio Monitors
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac
K&H O300 - Opportunity to get them new for cheap while I ordered Focal Twin6

Hi, I ordered my Twin6's but now an opportunity came to get the K&H O300 for not a lot more than the twin6. I will need to pull a few ribs but if they are worth the extra expenditure then its fine.

I'll be using my new speakers mainly for listening to (all almost solely EDM) music and DJ'ing, production and mastering as well(meaning it is allright if either doesn't sound very clinical )

I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the twin6, buy based on raving messages all over winternet. I really love this clear separation in the low-mids people are talking about. While I have the opportunity to listen to the O300, I would have to audition my focal twin6 once they arrive.

Will I be happier with O300?
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

0300s are bassier than twins and more flattering although neither could really be called a flattering speaker. They're also quieter than twins. I went from o300s to twins and my mixes improved. Being louder they're also a good client playback speaker. They need a lot of breaking in. They will be weird and brittle at first. This is normal.

Jack
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Thanks for sharing, what do you mean as in quieter? Lower maximum volume? or lower volume where it sounds good? because I would like to protect my hearing!

Flattering as in more likeable for normal listening?

Gee this is a hard one..
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quieter as in the O300s have built in limiters that kick in quite quickly as you turn them up. Sometimes on client playback or tracking you wish they were capable of more. Both work perfectly at low volumes...I'm like you, I tend to work quietly.

Flattering as in sometimes the big bass and airy highs of the 0300s can lead you to underplay those aspects of your own mixes. The twins are a bit more revealing, forcing you to work harder.

J
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Thanks, that'll be focal twin6 then because I like great mids instead of a 'smiley' and I always find myself cranking the mids up on my mixer when listening..

I don't like a limiter because I never clip my mixer anyways and I wouldn't even dare to go anywhere near the maximum of my mixer output...... I didn't see a volume adjustment on the focal twin6 pics so I guess I need to be very careful with my master volume as 1 quarter of my master volume on my mixer, and my KRK RP6 on -25dB was already outputting 75 db or so.

The separation between bass, mid bass and mds is also worse on the o300 right?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

In no sense are the O300s "smiley". If you are ruling them out on that basis, then you are basing a decision on poor information IMO.

Also, in my experience, the O300 limiters almost never kick in at anything lower than eardrum-grinding (and driver-shredding) levels. IOW at any reasonable nearfield listening level, the limiter lights stay resolutely unilluminated. If you want to rig them for midfield or main kind of duties, you might wish to add an O800 or two, but in a nearfield setup, they are plenty loud enough, FWIW.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac
allright. I'll see if I can a/b both of them.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Can only speak for myself but I'd get the Twin6.... YMMV.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Seem to see this again and again in O300 threads: 'You can't listen to them loud because the limiter kicks in' - as if this is a bad thing.

Why is this a bad thing? According to K&H, the limiter only operates to prevent damage to the monitor's components. It's saving your ass and your wallet - you can carry on working and not piss off a client due to downtime, and you don't have to buy a new driver / amp / whatever. And some folks have a problem with this? (Not a dig at you Jack - you explain clearly in your post your thinking behind the pros / cons; but this point gets raised again and again, often by folks with no experience of using the monitor).

If you want ear splitting volume (bear in mind the O300 goes to 112dB) then pony up for the O410 - and some ear plugs. I've only auditioned the Focals briefly, and they were an excellent speaker, but for my needs I thought the O300 would prove more useful. Never regretted the decision. Can't for the life of me describe them as 'flattering' - it was their detail in the mids / low mids that convinced me they were the right step up from the Adam S3a I was using at the time. The sealed box design also appears to present the bass in a very straightforward manner.

Whichever pair you settle on, you're going to have a wonderful monitoring rig.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Can only speak for myself but I'd get the Twin6.... YMMV.
Thanks for sharing. Could you elaborate why? I'm really on the middle between o300 and focal.. I want a solution for tens of years..

Quote:
Why is this a bad thing?
I haven't heard it myself but ppl say that it kicks in quite quickly.. especially with a lot of low frequency content. A limiter in the signal path always reduces sound quality, even if it is by just a bit?
Quote:
If you want ear splitting volume (bear in mind the O300 goes to 112dB)
at that level it has 3 % distortion, which is quite a lot. what would be the highest level where no extra distortion will be in the output? 95? 90? Would like to bang at that level sometimes. usually I love to mix at low sound levels. Which one will be more accurate at low levels (70 - 75 db?)

I want to save my hearing and I'm happy that it will help me when my mixer is accidentally on its highest level etc. but if it kicks in that early..

Quote:
I've only auditioned the Focals briefly, and they were an excellent speaker, but for my needs I thought the O300 would prove more useful.
How come the O300 proved more useful than the focals ?
Quote:
Whichever pair you settle on, you're going to have a wonderful monitoring rig.
:D yeah but for now I have to pain myself with this decision and kill my wallet with some suitable monitorstands for either for these.. It seems like I have to spend 380 euro for decent stands :/ over double my budget..
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm a K+H Dealer (now branded Neumann) but Ive been a K+H user for about 10 years. I agree, K+H is anything but smiley face. K+H have the most precision an accurate midrange of any speaker I've ever used. I use these as well as a B-pair of inexpensive JBL LSR4328's with a subwoofer (for "cranking up"). It really depends on the music you are creating as to wether they are 'loud enough" for you. Remember these are midfields not PA speakers.
If you're looking for an excellent reference monitor, then look no further than K+H. I picked up the line because I loved the speakers and feel great selling them. Like I said, I had mine years before becoming a dealer, so this is a user speak more than a sales pitch.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Thanks for your insight. I want to save my hearing so I don't need to go over 100. but headroom is nice to have. it says it will have 3% distortion at 112 dB, how will the increase in distortion be at 90 dB ( the maximum I'd comfortably mix with) Will bass heavy material be a problem (as in the limiter kicking in) at 90 dB?

A few things that I would like in the twin6 over the O300 - the inverted dom berrylium tweeter. It seems to be something pretty unique.
- no limiter, just the eq in the signal chain
- great low-mid separation because of the dual woofers.

the o300 might have a better midrange because it has a dedicated driver for that. But the material the speakers are made of is heavier material than the w cone of the focal. So I'm not sure about that one.
Old 26th December 2010
I had both the focal and the K&H in my room for over a week long test (courtesy of Cutting Edge Audio in San Francisco). Me, my two assistants, and a producer I do a lot of work for all had a chance to listen to them at length and we all had the same experience. At first we thought “ya, the twins- no comparison”, but after extended listening we all realized that the twins add a little to the high end, making them appear to be more detailed. In reality, it was not detail but slight exaggeration that we were hearing. The O300 were truer to the source, no hype anywhere (certainly no smiley face). Even though the O300 cost me more than the twins, I bought the K&H 300 and have been very happy with them.

As for them not getting loud enough, never been a problem for me.

My advice? make sure you listen to both of them at length and to sources you know very well- then get the K&H, you'll be very happy too.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

I recently compared o300 to the twin. I spent about 2 hours with them both on two occasions. My first impression is that the focals are definitely mid forward where the o300 are not. The focals are little more exciting to listen to at first, which I attribute to the mid forward. Also, when switching back and forth, the o300 were a little softer in volume. I had to compensate between the two. But, I'm not sure that wasn't just an issue with the switching setup - but maybe that's what some people are referring to - and no this was not due to limiting. Even at soft volume, the o300 ran lower in volume than the twins from the same source.

The first impression is liking the focal, but after listening for a while, I found that the o300 was more revealing. I listened to some tracks from albums I had been involved in and I heard one thing in one of the tracks I had never heard before - this on a track that I had mixes ages ago on NS10. But, I heard it in the o300 but not the focal. I also brought in some tracks that I knew had a few small problem areas. The o300 showed them very clearly, the focal not as much.
I still haven't pulled the trigger yet, waiting to shoot out a few more speakers, but between these two, I'm leaning toward the o300. I think the focals are a great speaker, and I could certainly do good work on them - specially on rock stuff, but the fact that the o300 brought my attention to something I had never heard before is hard to ignore.
Old 27th December 2010
I had the Focals and O300s in my studio for a couple of weeks testing when i was upgrading my monitors. there is definitely more resolution on the O300s, they are great to work with. IMO there was no contest, the O300s all the way.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinox View Post
:D yeah but for now I have to pain myself with this decision and kill my wallet with some suitable monitorstands for either for these.. It seems like I have to spend 380 euro for decent stands :/ over double my budget..
you can make your own monitor stands for next to nothing!

there are many ways to approach it, but for example, a stack of concrete blocks with a mouse mat on the top, under the speaker, works just great.

drape a sheet of whatever material you like over the stack of blocks and it can look as sexy as you like; velvet perhaps?!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you want ear splitting volume (bear in mind the O300 goes to 112dB)

at that level it has 3 % distortion, which is quite a lot. what would be the highest level where no extra distortion will be in the output? 95? 90? Would like to bang at that level sometimes. usually I love to mix at low sound levels. Which one will be more accurate at low levels (70 - 75 db?)
I'm assuming you're aware that many, many of the 'high end' monitor manufacturers (inc. Focal) don't supply distortion measurements for their products. Ever wondered why? heh

The fact that K+H do publish figures, speaks volumes about the company and their products, I think. I'd trust my ears, to be honest, rather than a published spec. I've never heard a hint of breakup or distortion with the O300, at high volumes, and I've yet to read a post or article from any user saying that they've had problems either. You can speculate all you want with numbers pulled out of thin air, but it's not going to make an informed decision any easier.

Is there no way at all for you to compare both monitor set ups side by side? There's the feeling that there'll always be a nagging doubt about having made the wrong decision, if you don't get them in the same room together.

+1 on what dubrichie says about making your own stands - if not concrete blocks, then assemble a couple of mdf towers, stick a mdf base plate top and bottom and then fill with sand. Shouldn't cost you more than €40.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Didn't read the entire thread but as focal twins owner I must say that the tweeter is something that you either will love or hate. These kind of monitors must be demo before purchasing, don't go blind.
But I choose them, I absolutely love focal sound and they translate very well outside.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 27th December 2010
I have the Focal Twins, and while they are very good monitors in their price range they are not a true 3 way system like the K&H. In addition, the Focals lack the depth of the K&H offer as well.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Look, I think there are a lot of valid points about both these monitors (as well as some speculation) but you really need to test them for yourself. They're both capable of doing the job. But it does depend how you lean sonically. You will either gravitate towards the warmer sound of the k+h or the slightly more 'stark' sound of the focals. One set will suit your natural aesthetic more than the other. You should try the same mix throuh each and see how it translates. They're both top quality monitors.

J
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
I had both the focal and the K&H in my room for over a week long test (courtesy of Cutting Edge Audio in San Francisco). Me, my two assistants, and a producer I do a lot of work for all had a chance to listen to them at length and we all had the same experience. At first we thought “ya, the twins- no comparison”, but after extended listening we all realized that the twins add a little to the high end, making them appear to be more detailed. In reality, it was not detail but slight exaggeration that we were hearing. The O300 were truer to the source, no hype anywhere (certainly no smiley face). Even though the O300 cost me more than the twins, I bought the K&H 300 and have been very happy with them.

As for them not getting loud enough, never been a problem for me.

My advice? make sure you listen to both of them at length and to sources you know very well- then get the K&H, you'll be very happy too.
Thanks for the tip, Will try to find a place to listen them both.. holland is pretty scarce on anything better than VXT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
The K&H 0300 is a closer to neutral monitor than the Focal.

Both are good but the Focal has some mid forward characteristic like a NS 10. It is much better than the NS 10 as far as bass goes so I am not comparing them to a NS 10 in that way.

The K&H and ATC 25 are way more neutral style monitors than the Focals IMO.

I have the K&H 0300D so I am biased in my opinon. I did consider other monitors and listened carefully. I narrowed my likes down to K&H and ATC.

The mid speaker in these cabnets are soft domes which give a neutral midrange.

I never ever have had a volume issue with my K&H. They are plenty loud.
Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripit View Post
I recently compared o300 to the twin. I spent about 2 hours with them both on two occasions. My first impression is that the focals are definitely mid forward where the o300 are not. The focals are little more exciting to listen to at first, which I attribute to the mid forward. Also, when switching back and forth, the o300 were a little softer in volume. I had to compensate between the two. But, I'm not sure that wasn't just an issue with the switching setup - but maybe that's what some people are referring to - and no this was not due to limiting. Even at soft volume, the o300 ran lower in volume than the twins from the same source.

The first impression is liking the focal, but after listening for a while, I found that the o300 was more revealing. I listened to some tracks from albums I had been involved in and I heard one thing in one of the tracks I had never heard before - this on a track that I had mixes ages ago on NS10. But, I heard it in the o300 but not the focal. I also brought in some tracks that I knew had a few small problem areas. The o300 showed them very clearly, the focal not as much.
I still haven't pulled the trigger yet, waiting to shoot out a few more speakers, but between these two, I'm leaning toward the o300. I think the focals are a great speaker, and I could certainly do good work on them - specially on rock stuff, but the fact that the o300 brought my attention to something I had never heard before is hard to ignore.
Thanks, that's valuable information. Surely going to listen to the o300's, hopefully the only place where they got them here have focals too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlegs View Post
I had the Focals and O300s in my studio for a couple of weeks testing when i was upgrading my monitors. there is definitely more resolution on the O300s, they are great to work with. IMO there was no contest, the O300s all the way.
thanks, another +1 for the K+H, geez this is freaking me out :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid View Post
I'm assuming you're aware that many, many of the 'high end' monitor manufacturers (inc. Focal) don't supply distortion measurements for their products. Ever wondered why? heh

The fact that K+H do publish figures, speaks volumes about the company and their products, I think. I'd trust my ears, to be honest, rather than a published spec. I've never heard a hint of breakup or distortion with the O300, at high volumes, and I've yet to read a post or article from any user saying that they've had problems either. You can speculate all you want with numbers pulled out of thin air, but it's not going to make an informed decision any easier.

Is there no way at all for you to compare both monitor set ups side by side? There's the feeling that there'll always be a nagging doubt about having made the wrong decision, if you don't get them in the same room together.
Thx,I will probably have to go to germany to listen to both at the same time. Taking my twins to the one dealer having o300's set up is a bit unfair as the twins are (obviously) not burned in.
But you say focal is less credible + less quality because they don't post graphs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
Didn't read the entire thread but as focal twins owner I must say that the tweeter is something that you either will love or hate. These kind of monitors must be demo before purchasing, don't go blind.
But I choose them, I absolutely love focal sound and they translate very well outside.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Thanks! I'm also looking for a monitor that's nice to listen music with casually. of course professional mixing capabilities have priority but..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I have the Focal Twins, and while they are very good monitors in their price range they are not a true 3 way system like the K&H. In addition, the Focals lack the depth of the K&H offer as well.
So you would have taken the o300 if they'd cost the same as the twins?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston View Post
Look, I think there are a lot of valid points about both these monitors (as well as some speculation) but you really need to test them for yourself. They're both capable of doing the job. But it does depend how you lean sonically. You will either gravitate towards the warmer sound of the k+h or the slightly more 'stark' sound of the focals. One set will suit your natural aesthetic more than the other. You should try the same mix throuh each and see how it translates. They're both top quality monitors.

J
didn't know that the o300 was warmer! From what people say it seemed to sound clinical and without character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
you can make your own monitor stands for next to nothing!

there are many ways to approach it, but for example, a stack of concrete blocks with a mouse mat on the top, under the speaker, works just great.

drape a sheet of whatever material you like over the stack of blocks and it can look as sexy as you like; velvet perhaps?!
hmm that's a nice solution as well heh

I got an offer by a welding company to make steel stands for a neat price, what makes a speakerstand resonate so I can tell them exactly what to do and not to do?

- should the deck plate be slighly smaller than the surface of the speaker to eliminate any possible reflection, or is it good as long as I place the speaker so there is no metal in front of it ?
the focal twin6 measures 50x34 cm and the o300 measures 38,3 x 29 cm.. I have not made my decision yet, should the big plate be degrading the sound if I decide to get the o300?
- should I ask for a triangular base with rubber pins under it, or a round one?

- any other things to keep in mind / tell the maker?

THX!
please give your comments and tips on the stands in the topic I made for that
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
But you say focal is less credible + less quality because they don't post graphs?

No, aquinox, that's what you're saying.

The point I'm making is that you're quick to make an assumption on the quality of the O300s purely based on published figures (rather than your ears) - yet you don't possess the equivalent figures for the Focals. What if you buy the Focals and then find out they have a 'worse' distortion figure than the K+H - will you feel like a fool for buying the 'wrong' monitors? Or will you trust your ears, and not give a **** because you're happy with what you're hearing? (If at this point you're going for the 'fool' option, stop right now and get out of music.)

Don't be so quick to put your trust in what publishers and people you don't know on the net tell you - there's a heap of bull**** coming in all directions from folks that either want to a) sell you something, or b) tell you to buy what they bought, because doing so validates their own purchasing choice. Neither is much use to you in the long run. Hearing both pairs of monitors however, is - if you're dropping €3k+ on a set of speakers then I think you owe it to yourself to make the effort to actually hear these things before dropping the cash.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
No, aquinox, that's what you're saying.
relax, I thought you wanted to make that point. wasn't sure, hence the questionmark.
Quote:
The point I'm making is that you're quick to make an assumption on the quality of the O300s purely based on published figures (rather than your ears) - yet you don't possess the equivalent figures for the Focals. What if you buy the Focals and then find out they have a 'worse' distortion figure than the K+H - will you feel like a fool for buying the 'wrong' monitors? Or will you trust your ears, and not give a **** because you're happy with what you're hearing? (If at this point you're going for the 'fool' option, stop right now and get out of music.)
I'm making myself crazy (well just about) whether I made the right decision, etc.. will listen them both but there will always be the chance that I ended up with the 'wrong' monitors if they are as close to eachother as people describe here. I almost never made a mis-purchase and I really don't want to do that on these speakers. I Expect the focals to drop by tommorow.
Quote:
Don't be so quick to put your trust in what publishers and people you don't know on the net tell you - there's a heap of bull**** coming in all directions from folks that either want to a) sell you something, or b) tell you to buy what they bought, because doing so validates their own purchasing choice. Neither is much use to you in the long run.
I know. I looked for 100s of opinions but even then it stays subjective. If it wasn't for that I couldn't get the o300 so cheap I wouldn't even be worried right now.

Quote:
€3k+
< € 3k in the focals case 2k..
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Don't forget...if these are new focals they need a lot of breaking in before they can be assessed in context. There's no real shortcut. It takes a couple of weeks. Can they send you a demo pair too?

With the kleins...experiment with the bass cut pot a little. A lot of folks run them with a click or two of that.

Can you get both sets on demo for a couple of weeks?

J
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

To the OP:

In my opinion & experience, the K&H are in NO way "smiley curved" - this is not a hifi speaker like some B&W 601, or hyped&sweetened like some of the older Genelecs were... it is, in fact, as close to experiencing a very very "flat" sounding and revealing in the entire frequency range as one can get in the given price range.
And, the NON bass-reflex/ported design is quite refreshing to hear, in the long run a lot more telling than the sometimes artificially extended low end of other speakers.

It doesn't take much to get used to the K&H, because they have no "sound" of their own (hence what some often refer to as "lack of character/life"), they may sound gentle but are in truth brutally revealing. A quick listen to different bitrate mp3s or different YouTube audio uploads will make U hear differences in the awful sound quality that are a lot broader and more obvious than with many other studio monitors, and a comparison of mixed masters that U might know very well will be just as equally revealing.

I am sometimes pretty partial to cranking things up and occasionally (perhaps more often than the safe-hearing practice would suggest!), and the K&H do not crap out as soon as the limiter issue might make U think.
One would need to be in self hurting mode to find that a problem.

The Focal Twins are also excellent speakers, maybe louder at their maximum but to my ears pretty more coloured than the K&H - not to say that U can't mix well on the Twins, in fact mixes and work on them tend to translate extremely well to the outside world (once U've broken them in as already noted here, for a pretty long time, and once U've got used to the very flavoured and hi-mid forward tweeter), but I at least always notice their "sound", it's on everything one listens through them.
And the bass range is somewhat looser than on the K&H. A tad, a hair splitting difference perhaps, but still a difference.
Regarding the very subjective perception of distortion and cleanliness of the speakers, I would say that the K&H sound like they stay superclean right up until the are where the limiter would kick in - the Focals sound like the onset and actual presence of distortion is more gradual and IMHO more noticeable. A bit like comparing a hard limiter a 0dB FSD to a soft clip gradually from -4dB FSD to the top.

Personally, more than the Focal tweeter sound, when working on them I was a bit bothered by the quite high hiss level of the speaker/internal amps system itself (an issue I see popping up in many discussions, but I don't know if it's common to all Twins or to just a certain series - haven't tried that many different pairs) and by the unusual effect of the double woofer with split duties design/arrangement... I guess U either like it or U don't, and to that extent, I much preferred the Solo 6 from Focal, with the same tweeter and "sound", but a smaller cabinet and a more traditional 2 way design/arrangement.

If I were to choose, I'd pick the K&H (especially if U're getting a good price deal on them!!) because I found judging presence of sounds and mix elements, both in sense of their relative "nearness" and stereo filed position, and judging of what exactly the bass end of my recordings was doing, was a bit easier but more imprtantly a lot more obvious on the K&H, compared to the Twins.

In a metaphore, I found the K&H to be like a quiet, scientifically reliable and non biased encyclopedia, and the Twins to be like a vastly knowledgable, very well informed and truthful but opinionated and somewhat colourfully written guidebook.

Again, both are EXCELLENT monitors, and it's not like anything sounding good on one will sound awful on the other, and of course it's a matter of taste - your ears might just find the Focal tweeter flavour and the twin cone arrangement instantly adorable.

On the matter of stands, please DO listen to what reid & dubrichie
suggested (and I do too): don't buy the hifi community esoterica snakeoil stands theory, be sensible and practical - if U can't get decent and sonically unnoticeable stands for under 200 EUR, well then, something is not right.

Happy Holidays & Happy monitors,
thumbsup

A
F
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaeffe View Post
I much preferred the Solo 6 from Focal, with the same tweeter and "sound", but a smaller cabinet and a more traditional 2 way design/arrangement.
What do you like more on the Solos and how much do they differ in bass response from the twins? Are the Solos comparable to the O300's bass-amount-wise??
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboso View Post
What do you like more on the Solos and how much do they differ in bass response from the twins? Are the Solos comparable to the O300's bass-amount-wise??
This is a personal taste thing. I cannot imagine liking the Solos better than the Twins as the Twins open up more in the mid's and let you hear details better. But if you like them better, than you do. There is no right or wrong answer. The 0300's have a clearer low end in my opinion.

I also agree that the depth perception on the 0300's are better than the Twins. I am surprised that more have not commented on that.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboso View Post
It is, indeed, a matter of personal taste.

As I mentioned, more than the sound itself of the Twins or their tracking & mixing (especially the latter is great) "usability", what I kept feeling annoyed me a bit was the decidedly above average hiss of the speakers/amps, I mean when idle or where I'd have expected almost dead silence; and the unquestionably different, and to my ears or way of listening/working somewhat odd, soundstage that the twin woofer with mixed/shared frequency duties arrangement of these speakers brings to the table.
Perhaps even "annoy" is too strong a word...it's like noticing something U then realize U shouldn't actually be noticing, shouldn't be getting your attention at all.
This is where I felt more comfortable with the Solo6 - sounded like they sound, the character and Focal family feeling both in the broad bass and the accentuated, frizzly highs is there, but no other peculiar things or oddities catching my attention, they behaved just like I'd expect a nearfield to do.
Also, they don't go into almost-midfield-monitor land, it's a set of nearfields, period.
And it's even priced more attractively than the Twins, if that were an issue.

The extreme low end response of the Solo6 compared to the Twins is not all that different, in fact if I remember correctly they have approx the same specs (didn't check this out, I just seem to remember some brochures), and looking at the size of the boxes one can't help being amazed by the quantity of useful bass information provided by a small monitor like the Solo - but the low and central midrange is fuller in the Twins, and gives U the impression of handling things easily, even perhaps bringing them subjectively more upfront.
Top end and extreme lows are pretty much in the same ballpark between both.

Neither of them have a comparable bass to the KH.
I mean in terms of type and character of the bass range, not in terms of more/less frequency response, although I did get the feeling that if I'd run test tones through them the KH would have gone a hair lower than the Focals, and obviously without any port turbulence/air movement sonically getting in the way.
But in terms of tightness and controlled response, the KH to my ears just were a lot more tidy, non-flabby, not even a tiny bit.

Again - to my ears, for my taste, in my opinion & experience.

A
F
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

You're not the only person to get that hiss, but it shouldn't be there. It's not there on my pair.

J
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac
I got them!! I barely hear hiss and I hear some deep bass, great! tweeter is a bit sharp but nowhere near what some people describe!

Only problem: 1 will not go on. I tried the same cable on my computer and it runs great. I tried a different socket and still the same problem. Maybe it has something to do with the fuse, how should I check this?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search