The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which 500 series preamp to get for my Manley Ref C 500 Series Preamps
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

Which 500 series preamp to get for my Manley Ref C

Hey,

I just got my Manley Ref C and thinking about getting a new 500 series preamp for it. But I'm having trouble deciding which one to get. I want the new 1073lb but I'm not sure how it performes since apperently no one has recieved it yet...
I'm looking at the Avedis Ma5 and the Grace Design m501. I know they are completley different when it comes to sound but I will probably get the m501 at some point. I would appreciate your oppinion on what preamp to get for this mic. or should I wait for the 1073lb to arrive...
Old 25th December 2010
Well considering I've used the c800g with the MA5, I'm sure it would be an excellent match with the Ref C.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Considering the bright and open character of the Manley i think a more robust and thick sounding amp like all the "N" influenced would be a better match than the transparent m501.

You could check GreatRiver, Avedis and JLM Audio.

I feel that this kind of mics are really great accompanied by big traffos
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Love the great river and thought of replacing it with the new neve but naaah. It's way to awesome.
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

Which 500 series preamp to get for my Manley Ref C

Okey, so I have narrowed it down to these two preamps, the Avedis Ma5 and the Great River. What are in your opponion the different attributes of these preamps and which should I get fr my lunchbox? Which one sounds most Neve-ish and whats the pros and cons of the two?

Appreciate your help :-)
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

most of those pre´s are great.....the real question is:

what kind of singer/instrument will be tracked through the Ref C?
and what kind of sound is needed for that take in the context of the song??

If you don´t know these 2 things, you´ll never be able to make a choice!

now for the slutty part, there´s also even more great pre´s in this format:

Grace m501
Neve 1073lb
Avedis MA5
A-Designs P1
VP-26
Helios 500 pre/eq
Electrodyne 501
Anamod Realios
Buzz Elixir

and more I´ve forgotten.....

I wish Wade would make a single channel TG2 pre in 500series...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude View Post
most of those pre´s are great.....the real question is:

what kind of singer/instrument will be tracked through the Ref C?
and what kind of sound is needed for that take in the context of the song??

If you don´t know these 2 things, you´ll never be able to make a choice!
+1 .....these are the right questions to ask.

However, i can't help commenting the whole neveish thing....i always believed that the main ellement of the 70'S N sound is the eq on the specific modules (1073,1081,1084 etc) and not the preamp.

So having that in mind, i could say that all these modern "neveish" preamps are all great amps based in one way or another in a proven design with some unique features on each one that makes it different. So as you underastand there is only one way to find out which one suits you.....listening.

Having said that,i must confess that i find Great River to be one of the best mic amps ever made for the 500 format including some crucial specs like different impedance settings, stepped gain, input-output metering and the "loading" function which to my ears sounds very similar to the 28K switch in the Avedis. The only real minus is the 2 slot size.....

Soundwise the GR sounds a bit more modern and versatille to my ears (or you could say that the Avedis sounds mor faithfull to it's roots).

Both are great amps thumbsup

As tomdarude stated there are LOTS of great amps in the 500 series so don't get too nervous, you'll have more slots to fill anyhow....
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

Yeah I now I should listen to them but it's impossible to get hold of the new Neve 1073lb for a demo... at least in Sweden. I think I will go with the Great River Preamp and at least try it out. I will eventually buy the Neve as time goes by if it doesn't turn out to be a total disappointment.
I'll have a listen to the GR, the Ma5 and some other 500 series preamps I can get hold of before deciding which one to get.
Regarding the vocal which is going to be recorded it is mostly Pop, Rock and RnB vocals that is my main focus. I occationally record jazz but have as of before mainly used SSL pre's for that.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

I'm using the ref c with great river 500nv sounds great But I think I screwed up and bought the api 525 instead of distressor. I didn't understand that the distressor was trying to emulate 1176 and la2a. I am also waiting for 1073lb.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search