The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio from ground up...well almost.
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Studio from ground up...well almost.

I'm moving into a studio with pretty much everything bare bones. All routing to each room is done and everything comes to a patch panel in the control room.

Rooms are fine...(control room needs acoustics still)

Already have all the mics I need and I have 32 channels of Grace m802 Pres.

This set up is going to be for mixing/mastering. Haven't decided on plugins yet, so there are none listed.

If something on the list is obviously gone, I've more than likely got it covered already.

Auralex Budget 5-10k?
Apple 12-Core "Westmere" (Tricked out as needed)
Apple Cinema Display 30"
Digidesign HD3 Accel
Digidesign C|24
(2) Lynx Aurora 16-HD (HD card for Pro Tools)
Argosy 50-NC24
Argosy iLift Monitor Arm
(4) Argosy Console 'Rack 'N 'Roll' H10
(5) Switchcraft Studio Patch 6425 (Or better patch pay)
(4) DB25-Female XLR 20ft
(4) DB25-Male XLR 20ft
(4) DB25-Female XLR 15ft
(4) DB25-Male XLR 15ft
(3) DB25-Female XLR 35-50ft
(3) DB25-Male XLR 35-50ft
(4) DB25-DB25 12-15ft
Monster Power AVS2000 PRO
(6) Monster Cable SL500 p3TT8 Pack (or comparable)
(2) Monster Cable SL500 P10TXM cables (or comparable)
(4) Neve Portico 5012 w/ (2) Joining Kits
SSL X-Rack Blank
(4) SSL E-Series EQ's
(4) SSL E-Series Compressors
(6) Furman HR-2 (Or comparable)
API 3124+
Manely Dual Mono Mic Pre
Crane Song Flamingo
Crane Song IBIS (Mastering)
Crane Song STC-8/M (Mastering)
Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor w/ PSU
Manely Massive Passive Mastering Version

-Thanks!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Not sure what the point of this thread is. No questions asked, so I'll just throw in a couple of observations:

"control room needs acoustics still" could have huge ramifications if you are mixing and/or mastering. Tuning to a high level (mastering) even a well-built room could take weeks and costs lots.

32 Grace mic pre's for mixing and mastering?

You'll need a full-blown 7-card HD system if you want to mix with more than a few TDM plugins.

30" CineDisplay requires much more robust KVM extension hardware than a 24". Big reflective screen not ideal for mixing and definitely a minus for mastering.

Pics? Specs? Market? Dimensions? Purpose? Console?

Not trying to be an ass, because you have nice taste in gear, and it could be an interesting project if it is real. But just trying to figure out what is going on here.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

what monitors

Not trying to be an ass, because you have nice taste in gear, and it could be an interesting project if it is real. But just trying to figure out what is going on here.[/QUOTE]

Monitors? ? ?
mix by what you see?
C
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post
Not sure what the point of this thread is. No questions asked, so I'll just throw in a couple of observations:

"control room needs acoustics still" could have huge ramifications if you are mixing and/or mastering. Tuning to a high level (mastering) even a well-built room could take weeks and costs lots.

32 Grace mic pre's for mixing and mastering?

You'll need a full-blown 7-card HD system if you want to mix with more than a few TDM plugins.

30" CineDisplay requires much more robust KVM extension hardware than a 24". Big reflective screen not ideal for mixing and definitely a minus for mastering.

Not trying to be an ass, because you have nice taste in gear, and it could be an interesting project if it is real. But just trying to figure out what is going on here.
No the list is for real. And it what a general "what do you think post." And I'm not sure what you mean by the Graces for mixing/mastering...they are just pres. As for the displays I was just trying go with what fits on the Argosy arm.

The acoustics are a ball park figure. I don't have the dimensions yet I have only seen the room.

This list is just rough. Lot's of work to do still in the future.

I'll probably be looking into getting some more HD cards as well. I've got a HD3 pcix system I've been using just fine....so I was using that as a starting point.

Thanks for the response.
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Monitors? ? ?
mix by what you see?
C[/QUOTE]

Haha, I totally mix on sight. Monitors are covered for now. I do still need to research a set of mastering speakers...but more to come on that later.

I'm also open to suggestions.
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Monitors? ? ?
mix by what you see?
C[/QUOTE]

Console is C|24. I suspect it will meet my needs for now.
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted #157546
I forgot to include a Crane Song Advocet too.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post

What are you talking about? That's utter nonsense. I have an old non-accel HD3 system, and the only times I've ever felt pinched in processing power has been in larger 5.1 sessions. With a tricked out mac 12 core the RTAS plugs alone should suffice for pretty much any music project.

Have you ever used a PTHD system, or are you merely regurgitating BS you've read here?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganmedia View Post
Have you ever used a PTHD system, or are you merely regurgitating BS you've read here?

heh heh

Joe....calm down. Greg has potentially built the most expensive and largest studio in recent US history. If NOT the largest, certainly one of them..... :-) It's a scoring stage in LA (Glendale to be exact)

The Bridge Recording

I pretty sure he's used a PT system....or three. Merry Christmas. Your post made me laugh out loud. Several times.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganmedia View Post
What are you talking about? That's utter nonsense. I have an old non-accel HD3 system, and the only times I've ever felt pinched in processing power has been in larger 5.1 sessions. With a tricked out mac 12 core the RTAS plugs alone should suffice for pretty much any music project.
Hey, I'm just trying to look out for the guy. A commercial studio has to serve clients, not the owner. Just because you or I can run with less, doesn't mean every mixer does!

Greg

**And don't forget that using an expansion chassis opens up 2 slots on the tower. In my case, it allows for a nice video card (BlackMagic Decklink HD Extreme), and a slot for clients.

For example: I have a client, right now, using the open slot on my A rig for his UAD2 card, freely running a bunch of TDM plugins on a 120+ track mix at 96k. 2 more HD rigs, 14 Genex converters, Antelope converters, etc. All going to our analog console, which is spitting out lots of 5.1 stems. Just another week at the office...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search