The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
C12 uses an easy to find tube? Condenser Microphones
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

C12 uses an easy to find tube?

I've been looking at tube mics lately and I see that some of the most famous ones like the U47 use tubes that are almost impossible or soon to be impossible to obtain.

At some point I became aware that the C12 design uses tubes that are relatively easy to find... in fact I already have a stash of them due to my general interest in tube gear.

The idea of buying a mic that earned a great reputation with an easy to find tube seems attractive.

I haven't been paying much attention to the C12 until last night. I'm wondering, what new mics inspired by the C12 are on the market today?

It seems like the market is flooded with 47 namesakes using who knows what for a tube.

It seems like the C12 tradition might be something that is actually possible to clone in 2010/11.

Who's doing a good job of it today?

Thanks.

best regards,
mike
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

6072a, easier to find than a VF-14.
Old 24th December 2010
member no 666

I don't know if you've ever heard of the ELA M 251E -- it uses the same valve as the C-12... then again quiet 6au6's aren't too tough to find so you might want to think about some Sony mics too.

Peace.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks Fletcher.

PEACE!

:-)

edit to add:

Hi Fletcher, I just went to the site and see that the new remake is $12k... that's not gonna happen for me... what's up with the AR-51?

Rather than ask you to compare perhaps you can simply explain what do you like about the AR-51?

I've got bunches of NOS ECC81s :-)

I want to find something nice for male vocals.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search