The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which first: High End Pre, High Limiter, or Iso Booth? Dynamic Microphones
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Which first: High End Pre, High Limiter, or Iso Booth?

My chain now consists of of a Oktavamod Rode NT1A set up in a portabooth, a Symetrix 528e, an M-Audio, into my DAW. I do radio commercials with my gear. I want to take my sound to the next level. What should I do first? Build an iso-booth, buy a top end pre, or buy a top end limiter. I am looking at the Gordon Model 4, The John Hardy M1, and the Langevin DVC for preamps. I am looking at the UA 1176 or the Langevin ELOP as far as limiters. I am looking at building an iso-booth out of a Rubbermaid Roughneck Large Storage Shed. I will add accoustic foam and a bass trap. The collapsible cube porta booth helps, but there is still room noise. Any recommendations as to what I should do first?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

I would vote for a good pre first. Have used the DVC with nice results. Very clean sound. Also comes with 2 great sounding opto compressors and simple shelving EQ's. Does a lot and sounds great. Best of luck!
Old 24th December 2010
I agree. Pre first. Out of all my pres, if I had to pick just one (despite the color) it would be my Neve 1073.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I also agree on the pre, MOSTLY.....the NT1A is a nice microphone meant to hit a low price point, but be a good product for the money. What IS your budget for the pre? I think you'll get more for your money out of budgeting for a very good mic and pre combination rather than just one dynamite mic-pre. The fact is, there are some amazing choices for $1k and less---leaving money for a really nice microphone, as well.

So again, what is your budget and that will help us help you....
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Doesn't a DVC include the same ELOP limiter?
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

The Rode NT1A sounded like an entry level mic out of the box. It sounds stellar after going to Michael Joly's shop.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear
I use a great river/sm7b combo and have used it on rock songs to pod casts, commercials. I use to do a lot of work for the communications department at my college and still do some. I've had a lot of good results with great river and mics sm7b,re20,u87. I'm thinking the ma5 might be a good one also So ma5,great river, maybe the new neve lb model. Of course this is all lunhcbox stuff. One module plus pre is the same price as a rack unit just cheaper if you ever add a compressor or more pres. The great river just has a big sound I love for commercials and radio plus it's very clear with character or clean if you want it to be. The GR has really helped me achieve that voice of god sound sought out in radio/commercial work. The neve has that neve haze that I find better for actual music, but would do pretty well. I just think the ma5 or great river might be better for any VO work. The ma5 electrodyne has a history when the consoles were used at nbc and other big studios for some time for radio work.

Check those two pres if you can but really look at a pre like the ma5 and a mic like a re20 or sm7b for a pro radio setup.
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

We use RE20s in all of our radio station studios. I chose a low end condenser mic over a dynamic, and later wished I had gone with a RE20. I took my Rode NT1A and sent it in to Michael Joly at Oktavamod. It sounded night and day different when I got it back. There is a thread on with with audio samples of a shootout featuring his NT1A mod. I was very pleased with the mod. The only downside is that I now need better room accoustics than I would have with a dynamic mic.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear
I'll have to check that out...At home I use a SM7b for everything. It's a really good mic for music, commercials and everything multitask. Re-20 I never bought one, but the radio station here has so many of them I just borrow one if I need it. I usually end up with the sm7b 9 times out of 10 for everything voice. The station I frequent for misc. work has a U87, but they never use it. they have it just to have it really. It sits in the back plugged into a old 8 channel mackie mixer to a computer with fruity loops on it that the students and interns play around with...such a shame :P
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapala View Post
Doesn't a DVC include the same ELOP limiter?

Yes.

It's a killer tool for tracking, shaving off the leading edge, getting sounds prepped for a second round of squeeze. It's not so good for at being that second stage, i.e. compressing in the mix or totally leveling dynamic sources.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search