The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Coming from the s3a whats a good nearfield/closefield monitor for a small room? Studio Monitors
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Coming from the s3a whats a good nearfield/closefield monitor for a small room?

The title says it all.. I just moved my home studio into a smaller place and as much i dont wanna let go my s3a i have to admit that they aint the best fit for my room

ive got a L3xW2.5xH2.5(metric) rectangular shaped room and it will be used for producing and mixing southern style Hip Hop with big boomy 808s, RnB and pop. Now the acoustics are as good as is humanly possible. Im renting the place so i bought the freestanding GIK monster traps(4) for the corners, and 6 broand band absorbers 244 that ive spread evenly across the room. The floor has a carpet while the dry wall ceeling have a few regular acoustic tiles above the mixing position. Also ive got some auralex LERND in the front and back ceeling. I couldnt put anything heavier there so.. Anyway Can you guys direct me to a nice small nearfield with a decent low end. Budget 5k.. Any1?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Bump! Almost 100 ppl checked this thread out and no replies..?
I'm just asking a reccomendation for a good nearfield..
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

You may want to check out the Focal CMS series, probably the closest to that level in a small package
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

PMC TB2A's are good in small rooms (4x5x2.5m should work, i do use those in a space like that...), just like Focall SM6 or CMS series. Or if you like Adam you could look at the A7 (but i don't like Adam).
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Acoustic energy ae22 gets my vote Amazing speakers
Have`nt heard the focals , thoo

Edit : after reading op one more time i have to add that the AE22`s don`t provide much in
the sub frequencys .
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Several years ago I bought the ADAM P33A monitors which were the P-series versions of the S3A's. At the time in my room they were perfectly fine, which was 13ft wide and 11ft deep. HOWEVER, that was until I put an Argosy 70-series desk in my room and was forced to move closer to the wall. The desk blocked a lot of acoustics, combined with moving closer to the wall it was a recipe for disaster. I ended up moving to the S1A's with their 10" sub, THAT WAS PERFECT. I've always felt that subwoofers were better in smaller rooms or those where the acoustics aren't ideal. Speakers need room to breathe, they want space to allow the bass to fill the room but also not to build-up in the listening "sweet spot" and cause standing waves. I'm speculating this is the issue you're having right now, that the bass build-up is so bad that you're losing bass?

Going smaller is better in this case.....If you have a good room, you might not need a sub---but that can never hurt :-) You might want to consider the S1X with the Sub10mk2, however the S2X should work just fine in your room providing it's done right (the room, that is). Going down to the S1 from the S3, you lose some mid-range---that's why I'm thinking the S2X combined with the Sub10mk2 and I think you'll be just fine.

The Focals mentioned are very nice, those CMS65's are good speakers---but coming from S3A's, you might be disappointed. This doesn't mean they are bad, just the S3A's are in a different league. A more fair comparison would be something like the TWIN 6's...nice! Either way, I think a key here COULD be a subwoofer. I know many will disagree, but sub's never disappoint me---good ones, that is. Case and point..... back around 1998 or so Event Electronics released a set of speakers called the TRIA's which very few ever knew about. Likewise, very few bought because it actually cost more money than their 2020P speakers, was smaller, and less power. HOWEVER I set these up in a space for a client of mine that to this day was the worst control room I'd ever seen.... We tried so many different monitors, these were the only ones that actually worked--because it reduced the bass-build up problems associated with most other speakers in regards to wall placement and standing waves.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search