The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rate these u47 clones on a scale of 1-10 Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Rate these u47 clones on a scale of 1-10

Wunder CM7
Wagner U47w
HORCH RM2J
Telefunken RFT AK47
Telefunken U47 M
Korby KAT U47
Vertigo Sound VS47
BeeNeez Tribute1
Pearlman TM 1
Peluso 2247 SE
Manley Reference
Lawson L47MP MKII
Telefunken U47AE
Bock Audio 507
Soundelux E47
For those of us who have used an original u47, I'd really like to know how these stack up--in terms of getting close to the original vibe. Seems to be a lotta love for the Wagner and the Wunder. Maybe they would be 9's. I would personally be intrigued to hear those of you who have used some of these and could compare them to the Grand Daddy.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

the ratings will be very subjective don't you think?
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I am wondering if anyone here or on earth actually tried all the mics you mentioned?
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
I am wondering if anyone here or on earth actually tried all the mics you mentioned?
pretty much my point. heh
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Very Large List, some I never heard of period.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

you forgot the most important one: the UHU 47

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/3871999-post28.html

thumbsup
Old 23rd December 2010
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post

HORCH RM2J
Telefunken RFT AK47

Korby KAT U47

BeeNeez Tribute1
Pearlman TM 1
Peluso 2247 SE
Manley Reference
Lawson L47MP MKII

Bock Audio 507
Soundelux E47
I may be wrong about a couple, but I believe none of these are "U-47" clones... they're microphones that may have a "4" or a "7" and maybe a "U" or an "M" in the name of the mic somewhere - but that's about as close as they get.

I can [and will not] speak to the quality of any specific item [from my use, and I've used damn near ever tool on your original list -- as well as more "vintage" U-47's and U-48's than I could hope to even begin to count] - the fact of the matter is that damn near every one I have used from this list is a damn fine tool.

This is a great little GS waste of time / popularity contest / marketing referendum -- but at the end of the day you will get zero information of substance in any manner, shape, or form.

Peace.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Point taken Fletch burger. Perhaps U47 clone was the wrong way to present this. I should of said a mic of the same caliber, or a mic , that may get used from a mic locker that had an original U47 for similar sources. Is there such a beast, I'm curious? Forget the rating idea of a 1-10 thing. Anybody go to any of these mics often, even though they have the U47 at hand as well?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I may be wrong about a couple, but I believe none of these are "U-47" clones... they're microphones that may have a "4" or a "7" and maybe a "U" or an "M" in the name of the mic somewhere - but that's about as close as they get.

I can [and will not] speak to the quality of any specific item [from my use, and I've used damn near ever tool on your original list -- as well as more "vintage" U-47's and U-48's than I could hope to even begin to count] - the fact of the matter is that damn near every one I have used from this list is a damn fine tool.

This is a great little GS waste of time / popularity contest / marketing referendum -- but at the end of the day you will get zero information of substance in any manner, shape, or form.

Peace.
I think Fletcher is right about the fact that some of these mics are not U47 clones at all. However, I do not think that what makes this thread a fuuck waste of time is the populatity contest format. Popularity contests are sometimes very helpful, but this one won't bring anything new to GSlutz. U47 clones are among the most discussed topics over here.

Anyhow, one thing I can say for sure is that the U47w deserves a 10 !
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

As per Craig's comment, the list here includes a number of mics that are in no sense u47 clones. When you remove those from the list, you're left with:

Wunder CM7
Wagner U47w
Vertigo Sound VS47
Telefunken U47AE / M

...to which I believe you would need to add the following

Flea 47
Andreas Grosser U47

The resulting list would then contain six credible re-creations of the U47, several of which are available in a couple of variants (notably the Telefunken Elektroakustik and Flea offerings IIRC).

At that point, you're talking about a small group of microphones that all achieve a high standard, on a level with the heritage they are seeking to maintain. If there is in fact anyone here who has used each of the six side-by-side with each of the others and with a pristine vintage Neumann U47 (or preferably, several), then their opinion would interesting - but still more subjective than conclusive. Anything else is basically conjecture, prejudice, spin and misinformation.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Probably less than a handful of folks, out of thousands on this board, have tried the majority of those mics. And of the few who have, they probably did not use them side by side for any valid objective comparison or shootout.

But does it really matter? Does it matter that NASA used Apollo 11, or Apollo 17, to land on the moon? They still landed on the moon!

Your recording life is short. Why burn years on a Quixotic quest for imaginary windmills of a long lost object. Grab whatever's in the closet and make records (ELA M251, C12, TFUNK U47, U87, 414, heck even Gefells sound great)!
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

I have a few real 47's and have/used some clones.
so far my favs [in order] are:
1-Andreas Grosser [bought one recently.thanks don]
2-Wagner [used on sessions]
3-Wunder [own]

I'd like to hear Greg well's new Telefunken

if you can't get something good w/ any of these,get out of the biz lol

at this point I'm waay more interested in finding a company that nails a real 49
didn't like the Wunder 49 and 50 at all.

PS:Bocks 507 imo isn't a 47..diff high end..very open-hi fi.if you want to capture a whole drum kit with one mic this one is amazing.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

This is another amateurish and useless U47 thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
Manley Reference
Your U47 knowledge speaks volumes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post

Your glass tube Grosser U47 hasn't the U47 steeltube characteristics!
You compare compare apples and oranges. IMO

Over the last months we compared Flea, Wunder, Grosser, Wagner and TeleUS to my U47. I liked the Wagner best... but you could have a different opinion. Meanwhile I scored a 2nd Neumann U47 instead of getting a clone.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marque View Post

Ov

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.

Bertrand Russell - Wikiquote

Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I have a few real 47's and have/used some clones.
so far my favs [in order] are:
3-Wunder [own]

if you can't get something good w/ any of these,get out of the biz lol

at this point I'm waay more interested in finding a company that nails a real 49.
That would be Oliver... I have one and compared it to 3 original ones so far. Spot on the an M49C. When he has time he'll be making a second for me. More than likely this mic will come out in the Lucas line in a year or so... if not Lucas, I know who will be putting one out anyway.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't think the fact that the tube is metal or steel has any impact on the sound. the metal or glass is just the material of the envelope in which the vacuum is contained.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Of those on your list, I only own (and have only used) the Peluso 2247-LE. Therefore I rate it a ten and I give all the other ones a zero.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Over the last months we compared Flea, Wunder, Grosser, Wagner and TeleUS to my U47. I liked the Wagner best... but you could have a different opinion. Meanwhile I scored a 2nd Neumann U47 instead of getting a clone.
I must say it is really strange..
can you say me serial number of Andreas microphone or who is owner?
in last thread you said you tried also FET tube. it means you had to change it inside. can you say me serial numbers of these tubes? FET and GLASS? As there is only one person in France who owns Andreas microphone and he was asked already and said he doesnt know any" Marquette analogue recording" and didnt borrow to test to anyone I must ask where you get it?
3 mics are in Funky junk, 3 in hestudiotechnik/ they are with FET tube/.. no company borrowed it to France.
As I know last made Andreas 47 is s.n.: 23
all people who owns the mic are Andreas friends.
hmmm?
Can you please answer these questions?
BTW my is sn.: 19.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

What GS will be without another U47 tread.........
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Ohhh Marquette not again.., THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE? , We would all love how you back up your statements with absolutely NOTHING! You do provide us all with some top tier BS commentary.

Got a question for ya. Is it your mission in life to just dump on every U47 boutique mic thread here on Gearslutz? Its like every thread. You are there. On a mission to insult, complain, disrupt, and harass. You remind me of a guy named Haikusoftruth. Unfortunately or not, for us all, he got banned twice here on GS. He as quite entertaining for some, quite a PITA for the some others. Are you sure that you are not his long lost brother from France? heh.

I asked you a simple question on a previous U47 thread. Do you remember? The thread where you didn't bother to give us all a proper flush. If you can be so kind, what is the serial # of the Andreas Grosser VF-14EF tube you claimed to use?

And now you claim to have his microphone. How about throwing that at us too? Mine is #11. There you are. It wasn't hard at all. You see?

Because still to this day. I am sorry man, I just can't believe you heard a AG Fet Tube, let alone a Glass Version, let alone a VF14. A While back, Andreas said to me, He has no AG U47 owners in France. NONE.

JFYI, The characteristics have already been submitted here on Gearslutz comparing the differences between a VF14 original, AG glass VF14 and AG FET V14. And that was on 3 different vocalist. Its quite hard, even if you never changed the tube out on each take, to keep the vocalist to sing the same exact way every take. Factors change, which means that the sound changes... IE (human emotions, expression, phrasing, dynamics, proximity, angle, etc.,etc). Lets just say this, the differences between the VF14 that I used , the AG Glass, and FET. Are so hard to distinguish that I had many who listened, but didn't bother to say A is a VF14, B is a VF14 FET. C is a VF14 ER. Because, I believe, nobody really knew. Hell, I didn't even know until I tested them and listened closely. I had plenty of people posting after I gave the answers. I honestly felt, many of the listeners heard a wonderful VF14 replacement tube. Thats how close they are.

I myself had a change of opinion 3 months later. At first I thought, the VF14 has the classic steel tube sound without a doubt compared to the other VF14 replacements.. Then 3 months later I listened to the files again because GS users were asking me to post them again. I did it blind. I ended up choosing the VF14EF (FET). Totally surprise on my part. Honestly. I guess I was in a VF14 FET mood that day or something.

We are humans. We have bad days, good days, emotional days, tired/stressful days. And all of these conditions will effect your brain and hearing. I personally feel that my studio is a microscope for audio. I can hear the difference when I swap capacitors to cables. But regardless, the common guy/gal on the street, won't give a flying monkey's azz if the "rock star" was recorded on an original VF14 or a AG replacement VF14 FET.

And as I said before. You can have 6 different original VF14 or VF14M tubes. And they all won't sound the exact same 100%. Its just like any tube. My NOS VF14M, sounds slightly different to my ears than Andreas VF14 tube that was loaned to me. Not better or worse. Just a tad different.
Old 23rd December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post

Peace.
thanks - when I saw U47 and Clone in the subject I peeked in just to see what you would say.

I always your applicational approach and delivery.

... WWFS wrist bands will be available soon
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
eh..you would be wrong sir.
FYI I currently have a nos vf14 in there [along w/ NOS Bosch caps,etc]
to my ears this mic is the closest[apples to apples] sonically to my original unmolested 47's.
gotta say the glass tube is awesome btw.something really cool happens in the high end.

so you've heard the glass tube then?
are you the guy who also claims to have the fet tube?
AFAIK he doesn't sell those tube's unless he's personally replaced one in a repair or you've purchased a new mic from him.

oh,for the sake of keeping things straight,my AG47 is serial #15.

what serial is yours?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
That would be Oliver... I have one and compared it to 3 original ones so far. Spot on the an M49C. When he has time he'll be making a second for me. More than likely this mic will come out in the Lucas line in a year or so... if not Lucas, I know who will be putting one out anyway.
Good to hear Larry.
I had to give my Lucas cs-1 pair away when the hvac went south.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, blah blah blah blah. Maybe amateurish, but not entirely useless. The OP just wanted some opinions. So, what's the big freakin' deal?

For what it's worth (and it probably ain't worth much):

Lawson: 8
Pearlman: 7
Peluso: 5
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

JJ Audio Husky
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I have owned or currently own several of these and none of them sound like my fathers u47s. However, both of his u47's sound alike. Some of those mics you have listed dont even come close to what a bad u47 would sound like. The closest I have personally heard were the newest telefunk and the wunder. The tele has a beautiful top end so I will be adding another one to my locker.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Uhm, Dont froget the Flea 47
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

the Radio Shack RS-47 not very well known, but is the best I've heard. Very flattering boost in the low-mids.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

The original 47 was a tube mic. Many 47s that have come after have been fet designs. And they have a markedly different character.

The fet 47s tend to have a certain shiny thing going on up top - that a lot of people like. It almost reminds me of a 251 more than what people think of as the quintessential 47 sound.

Fets traditionally use a K47 capsule - but there are many makes of K47s - not all are created equal. Most are good, some are great. The original tube uses an M7 capsule which is comparable, but slightly different in build to the K47.

Jeez - I'm talking like Illacov right now. It's pretty fascinating stuff though.

Between the slightly different capsule design, and the fact that one is amped by FET and the other by tube - you get runs of 47s that sound markedly different from each other.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

I dunno about most of the mics in that list, but the ones I do know about don't sound like U47s to me. In fact U47s don't sound like each other, so what does a U47 sound like?

There are some fine sounding mics in that list you posted and a bazillion more fine sounding mics you didn't list. Listen to a bunch of them and you'll find that you like some more than others and you'll find that they really all just sound like whatever you point them at with tiny variations in response and perceived "sound quality." All the posts you see about how huge a difference there is between this mic and that mic are fanciful. The two most dissimilar mics on earth each still have to provide a recognizable signal from the source. They must by their very nature all fall within a narrow band of characteristics. Given the sheer number of mic models available today it follows that there must be quite a lot of overlap where many mics sound so alike that they cannot be distinguished from one another by ear.

Getting a bunch of people to grade a list of mics will only serve to give you biased notions about them before you hear any of them, and may even steer you away from a mic that you would have loved to have

Merry Christmas
Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search