The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reasons To Avoid Liquid 4Pre? Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Ancient fart here - like I have "gig T-shirts" older [and with more actual work experience] than you... but hey, we all have to start sometime, I just decided to start in the 70's.

That said I have tried the "liquid" pre's - next to some pre's like Crane Song's and API's, the "ViPre", and a few other things that happened to be lying around the studio where I was working. In my "personal experience" I happened to find the "liquid" thing about as small and useless as anything I'd ever experienced [which was before getting into the "emulation" crap, which made the audio smaller, and even less useful]... like if you "rack mounted" the pre-amps from a Mackie desk you'd get better audio.

Then again you little whipper-snappers think plug-ins sound like they're capable of actual audio - so in that context - I'm sure you'll love the thing!!!

Peace. [old hippie concept that maybe the world might be a better place without wars -- please ignore].
Fletch this is why I love you man! haha
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
Not sure it's an old fart thing so much as an 'analogue is cool' thing.

I find it very odd that if you emulate hardware on software inside a piece of hardware (IE, Liquid Pre, Liquid Mix) it only attracts moaning, whereas if you emulate hardware on software inside a DAW, people love it (Waves SSL).

It's just fashion mate. Use your ears to decide.
I think it has more to do with the ****ty convertors inside... that was more my impression. The models were all sounding bad in the same manner...

without the modelling and conversion, it was rather decent.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

There we go, another bunch of opinions that really don't matter much and never will. It is what it is.........period
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Generally speaking, yes, maybe but these opinions mattered to me. I was worried about reliability but it is perhaps best to ask open questions to get decent feedback and let people say what they need to say and then probe. Anyway, I got enough form this thread and from Focusrite to help me make my decision, and I just bought a used one. I will not be using the emulated preamps, as I got this response from Focusrite about using it for my intended purpose:

'Hi Richard,

I've measured the gain steps on the 4PRE we have here in service.....the short answer is that the Liquid 4PRE changes the gain by 0.992dB each step on average over every gain change, well within your quoted 0.1dB required accuracy for the Soundfield.

There is one thing to bear in mind with the Liquid 4PRE that might be an issue. Since the 4PRE is emulating other Pre-Amps, and I simply don't have the time to test every single emulation setting, there may be some preamp settings on the 4PRE which might vary the gain slightly inconsistently. Perhaps some of the older Valve Preamp emulationss might do this for example.

I am speculating here as I haven't managed to test this, but it's a possible problem. Judging by the accuracy of the flat emulation however, i'd be pretty confident to use any preamp emulation, but I can't say 100% as there are almost an unlimited number of possible configurations to set the 4PRE to.

It's really down to trial and error and what you think sounds best, but for rock solid performance i'd either choose a preamp emulation from a newer mic pre, or leave it on the FLAT setting.'

If nothing else, this thread might help someone else with my predicament of: what are the options for a 4 channel preamp with matched / linked / accuratelly switched gains for use with a Soundfield SPS200. And that question might lead that someone to this thread.

4 channels pres with switched or linked gain

Thanks for all your comments, old farts and young trumps.
Old 6th April 2011
Lives for gear

To answer the question re: the reliability, I actually have no clue what happened to them. The studio that had them sent them both away. All I know is that the end result in both cases was weird hiss and no signal!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search