The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fat Bustard vs Chandler Mini mixer Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Fat Bustard vs Chandler Mini mixer

So if you have a top end console but would like a mini mixer to have a different flavour, which one would you go for? Ive narowed it down to either the chandler or the thermionic.

Greg
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

not tried the TC but (sorry, one of those annoying starts to a post) the early serial no chandlers (with no mono switches) are really characterful. depending on how hard you drive the output has a big effect on the sound too. and it\s stepped so you can find your preferred sweet spot.
apologies for the cheesy side step, but i'm selling one in the classifieds.
have always been impressed with the other TC stuff although the knobs etc always feel a little cheap to me.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post
So if you have a top end console but would like a mini mixer to have a different flavour, which one would you go for? Ive narowed it down to either the chandler or the thermionic.

Greg
Wouldn't that depend upon what kind of top-end console you have now? Different flavor from what?
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Fat Bustard vs Chandler Mini mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
Wouldn't that depend upon what kind of top-end console you have now? Different flavor from what?
88RS
Old 23rd December 2010
Couldn't be more different

The Big Bustard is fluffy - furry - warm and fuzzy [in a good way] without sludge or muck/murk. There are no transformers in this unit and yet its fully large - with huge amounts of color. Very round with a lot of Fatness. Its not your average mixer either, just about qualifying it as a processor. The Chandler has the classic EMI discrete transistor sound with lots of density/weight. It has a very warm sound. Giving the audio a tan. It fully emboldens the audio and sounds fantastic to me. It's very classic but pretty specific. You might also consider mixers like the MANLEY 16X2, which is a favorite of mine - or perhaps the new Great River Mixmaster MM20 with its full on transformer based layout. However the MM20 may have more electronics than you want for this application.
Old 24th December 2010

Haven't used the Fat Bustard but we use the Chandler Mini Mixer everyday. Absolutely love it! Gorgeous and fat sounding. And built like a tank.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I demoed just about every summing mixer out there about a year ago. It came down to these exact two for me. In the end, the I went with the Bustard and have never looked back. If you have a top end console as you say, using the bustard as a side car to sum the drums is amazing.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search