The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opto compressors Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Opto compressors

How long do the Photo cells or light mechanism last before it needs to be replace?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmplisskin View Post
How long do the Photo cells or light mechanism last before it needs to be replace?
Don't worry about it You can use it for a pretty long time. As far as I know, those parts you cannot buy to replace, because they are made to last for a pretty long time. By the way my advice for a good opto compressor is Softube CL1B.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
The photo cell part will age gradually over many years but the light source part may not last as long, depending on what it actually is. There are LED (long lasting) electroluminescent (pretty long lasting) and incandescent (lightbulbs) possibly others not listed but none really come into the 'get spares in' category except perhaps the bulbs.
Whether you can actually get the thing apart to 'fiddle' is another matter altogether.
Matt s
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiAudiophile View Post
Don't worry about it You can use it for a pretty long time. As far as I know, those parts you cannot buy to replace, because they are made to last for a pretty long time. By the way my advice for a good opto compressor is Softube CL1B.
If we are talking about T4b cells, they do age. The threshold level will get lower and your comp will not function as planned anymore.

T4b's you can still buy are: UA, nos UREI, Drip and Kenetek. Drips and Keneteks are about 100$ a piece. Urei's are around 200-300$.

I bought Keneteks and they are absolutely perfect. And they can make you a matched pair if you ask.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search