The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL power supply Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

SSL power supply

Not much of a economical issue (but could be nice) , but i was wondering how come theres no dude with solid knowledge and experience to developped a new power supply with modern technics which could be more stable , don't go down to replace the olds power supply designed in the 80's ?

Same question with the G computer...
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

20 years exp

find an EE with 20 years in the electronic bis,
C
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Factory View Post
Not much of a economical issue (but could be nice) , but i was wondering how come theres no dude with solid knowledge and experience to developped a new power supply with modern technics which could be more stable , don't go down to replace the olds power supply designed in the 80's ?
Don't know who told you this but its totally not true.

I've had an 80's E console and now a 90's G+ and the power supply is night and day. One thing i give SSL lots of credit for is that they really did listen to their clients and really improved the console from the first generation through their last. The power supply is one place they improved the stability all over. Actually its a little over built, but you have to remember people were paying from half to three quarters of a million dollars when new for these so they had to be stable.

I'll just tell you this...i've been able to turn off and on everyday my SSL console for the last 2 years and it hasn't blown once. To do this with an old E power supply was like playing russian roulette with a gun to your head.

If you find that your power supply is consistently blowing out than there is either a problem with a bad channel(EQ or dynamic card) which is pulling a lot of current on one of the rails or a bad card in the center section.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Well, such a person exists. It's just not really worth doing financially. Given that you have a finite amount of possible customers most of whom wouldn't even purchase such a product if it existed because we've mostly learned to deal with the quirks of our E series power supplies. For example, I keep plenty of spares on hand and frankly they overbuilt the supply enough that I can run our 48 channel desk on only one supply if I have to. (I know, its out of spec, but it works. However uncomfortable it is.)

But yes, the fact that the supply blows up once a year is pretty annoying.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post

I'll just tell you this...i've been able to turn off and on everyday my SSL console for the last 2 years and it hasn't blown once. To do this with an old E power supply was like playing russian roulette with a gun to your head.
Most of 4K owners i have had feedback with let there 4K running overnight and almost never turn it off.
Its good to hear it can be done ! and your power supply is stock SSL or did you upgrade it with time ?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
There is nothing inherrently 'wrong' with the design of the old power supplies although making one now there are a few things I would change.
They rely heavily on fast fans and the internals being kept clean of dust and dirt.
I would use far more and possibly cheaper power transistors 'paralleled' as the current through each one is pretty high, making good cooling essential.
The PSU board connectors while 'adequate' would benefit from having 'proper' connections.
A robust 'soft start' circuit for the massive transformer would be good as they can be a bit 'fierce' at switch on.
While fancy 'protection' circuits can be a nice feature, there are some instances where 'brute force' and simplification / duplication can provide the much sought after reliability.
I have spent many hours over the years fixing 'Power One' supplies and the vast majority of failures are down to a couple of 'details' which in themselves could be easily rectified (pun intended!).
Matt S
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
which in themselves could be easily rectified (pun intended!).
Matt S
har har
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

normandruce.com

vintagessl.com

switch mode power supply for 4/5/6K SSL's. user serviceable, less
than half power consumption.
Old 5th February 2013
Just got my Harrison PSU completely overhauled by GRS systems out in Cali. And I'm totally happy with it. There flat rate was $455.00 even my tech said that was stupid cheap given the work they did. These guys also will build a new supply if you wanted it. Hit them up for a quote, they can get it right ill bet.
Old 17th August 2017
Here for the gear

Our studio purchased a new power supply for my SSL from a company called GRS, only to receive a product that was nothing more than a display piece that--when hooked up--caused my entire console to begin to smoke. The company was selling fake supplies for thousands of dollars to recording studios all across the U.S. As a last ditch effort, we reached out to Atomic to see if there was anything they could do to turn my poor purchase into a functioning supply. Norman at Atomic had me send in my GRS supply. When he received it, he took a look inside and informed us that it was a lost cause. Out of the kindness of his heart, he offered to gut the supply and rebuild it himself for cost using Atomic parts. Norman turned our $4k in sunk costs into a success story. Our studio would have been in a real tough spot if it wasn't for Atomic's help. This is a great company of passionate people who operate within a respectable code of ethics. As the owner of Plush Recording Studios , I give Atomic my highest recommendation.
Old 17th August 2017
Gear Addict

GRS PRO AUDIO SERVICE - RECORDING CONSOLE REPAIR SERVICE - RECORDING CONSOLE MIXER POWER SUPPLY SYSTEMS - SONY APR SERVICE - 3M M79 - AMEK TAC LANGLEY API A&H CALREC DDA HARRISON NEVE CONSOLE SERVICE REPAIR & CUSTOM AUDIO RACKING

What did they say when your console blew up?

I've had an Atomic supply for a couple years now running a 4056.
The console gets turned on in the morning and off at night. No problems what so ever. The initial nut is a shock, but in my case has probably paid for itself by now. At least $100/month shaved off my power bill and no constant costly repairs and downtime.

Currently shopping for a modern automation/recall replacement
Old 18th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixedbyian View Post
Our studio purchased a new power supply for my SSL from a company called GRS, only to receive a product that was nothing more than a display piece that--when hooked up--caused my entire console to begin to smoke. The company was selling fake supplies for thousands of dollars to recording studios all across the U.S.
What do you mean fake supplies? I've had a very sturdy grs supply for a few years now. I know I'm not the only one. Can you provide more details?
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

Hi
The supplies offered by GRS a few years back used 'pimped' industrial power supply modules according to their photos and text in the advertising of the day.
These modules originated from Power One or equivalent and GRS claimed they did a few things to them to improve the reliability. These basic modules are very reliable and having witnessed the 'standard' units used in AMEK (MPS15) supplies over 25 years or more, and failures are rare. I have not seen any where the console was 'injured'. All the failure modes I have seen were burned transformers (possible mains spikes?) causing NO volts out or rectifier failures (more common) where again NO volts out.

As a disclaimer, the units from GRS may not have been the 'Power One' modules used for AMEK and other desks as the SSL desks tended to need more current than these versions would provide. Secondly I believe management changed at GRS a few years back.

Matt S
Old 22nd August 2017
Here for the gear

Hi guys,

Seems the story here about GRS is bit twisted from the truth. Back in 1970 I bought my first power supply system from GRS. Their shop is about 60 miles from my studio in Lake Forest, so it was an easy deal, went there, placed an order, got the PSU in a couple of weeks. Since then, I have gotten to know all the folks at GRS, including the original owner pretty well.

So fast forward to, I think it was 2014 or 2015...sorry, I have forgotten exactly. Anyway, the owner of GRS passed away. I heard a lot of these details from one of the top engineers at GRS. So here's the long story shortened.

GRS, the company, pretty much got fragmented while the widow of the owner tried to sort things out after his passing. I was contacted by some of the ex employee technicians saying that they were going to restart GRS on their own and that they were going to make their own power supply systems with their own designs using the GRS name.

Then the widow of the deceased owner of GRS got into a legal battle with these ex employees who were using the GRS name and making equipment with the GRS logo, etc., etc. Things got pretty nasty I heard from a couple of the original GRS equipment design engineers. And the unauthorized GRS was making all kinds of deals, making some no so good equipment, and then they bailed out at some point when the widow's lawyers threatened to take them to court.

So anything made by those techs who called themselves GRS at that time, is pretty suspect in my book. Maybe thats what happened to the guy above with the SSL console. I don't know, but seems about the right time frame.

So fast forward again. I was contacted by Paul, Greg, Geoff and Hollie from the original team at GRS, telling me that they had, with a private investor, bought the rights to the GRS name and company. Bought up the production equipment and are now making power supply systems and doing console work and other stuff under the name of Studio Systems Technologies. I have known these people for years and Geoff told me that they are building their systems using the original owner's designs.

So that's it in a nutshell. I was around when this was all coming down and I had to do backflips to get some rack equipment back from the unauthorized guys who pretty much took over everything and just let a lot of the equipment that was there for repair just sit. It was pretty screwed up then. Glad all of that is over with. I used to have GRS do all of my studio equipment service and repairs. Geoff and Paul at Studio Systems are doing real well now by me.

This is the real story behind the various made up and sometimes really funny stories I have read about, about what happened to GRS. There was some unauthorized and some suspicious equipment sold out there by the bogus GRS people. But I think they are gone from the scene now.

Cheers!

Greg
AnalogStudio7
Lake Forest, CA
Old 22nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Hi Greg
Thanks for that it makes a lot of things 'fit' as the original 'pimped' supplies would be unlikely to cause any problems.
I had dealings with (I think Tom, who passed?) for many years and he was a 'sound' guy to deal with.
Hope the new guys are living up to the original quality.
Best
Matt S
Old 22nd August 2017
Here for the gear

Hi Matt, you are talking about Ted Jolly, Jr. He passed away. It's pretty cool now that his dad, Ted Sr., is running the Studio Systems & Technologies company. He had originally turned the GRS business over to his son back in the '90's when he got ill but now he's back at age 70 I believe. He started the company way back in 1969 and man, does he have a lot of studio tech and equipment knowledge. Cool guy!

Cheers!

Greg
AnalogStudio7
Lake Forest, CA
Old 22nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Hi Greg
Yes Ted, I remembered the name about 3 hours after posting!.
Matt S
Old 22nd August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electroslut View Post

normandruce.com
+1 - lots of top names using Atomic successfully. It seems really well built. Nice to see the "rescue" story above, that sure speaks well.
Old 22nd February 2019
Gear Head

Update:
Atomic Instrument
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear

+1 On the Atomic
Old 23rd February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
+1 On the Atomic
I have one for our neve Vr and it’s been flawless over the last 4 or so years. I hear similar things about the ssl variants.
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear

we got our power bill down a lot being able to power the desk. Plus it's going to add years to life of the 9K as well.
Old 24th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
we got our power bill down a lot being able to power the desk. Plus it's going to add years to life of the 9K as well.
I don't know about power, but the heat generated is minimal by comparison (still quite noisy though).

When I've had to power it off and on again, it's been flawless though.
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I don't know about power, but the heat generated is minimal by comparison (still quite noisy though).

When I've had to power it off and on again, it's been flawless though.
We now make near silent control room friendly PSUs for SSL E/G
The SBD and SBDII
We could do the same for the Neve V-Series if needed.
Old 27th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electroslut View Post
We now make near silent control room friendly PSUs for SSL E/G
The SBD and SBDII
We could do the same for the Neve V-Series if needed.
The only further money I’ll be throwing at this thing will be for the person to come and take it away
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Maniac

+1 on Atomic Instrument Co.

they did a custom supply for my Neotek Series iiic that took it up a notch or two.

-pete

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search