The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Echoplex EP3 vs Fulltone Tube Tape vs Echoboy? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
View Poll Results: Echoplex vs Fulltone vs Echoboy
Vintage Echoplex EP3
16 Votes - 25.81%
Fulltone Tupe Tape
29 Votes - 46.77%
Echoboy / UAD / Nebula etc
13 Votes - 20.97%
Other
4 Votes - 6.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Vintage Echoplex EP3 vs Fulltone Tube Tape vs Echoboy?

Whats your opinion on these? should I get a vintage EP3 like my heart says, or get a new Fulltone like my logical mind says, or use a plugin like my wallet says?

EP3

Fulltone

Echoboy

Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Fulltone is a wonderful thing. Don't even use it in the same sentence as a plug in as you may be turned into a newt
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

This is a really exceptional digital unit:

strymon » El Capistan dTape Echo – Tape Echo Delay Effects Pedal

OOPS didn't watch the first video...

Last edited by vinnieRice; 22nd December 2010 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: deep feelings of inadequacy
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Man. Both the EP3 and the Fulltone are gorgeous. I would hate to get my credit card in the same room as one of those...

Obviously, Echoboy is the most flexible tool...with the least maintenance.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnieRice View Post
This is a really exceptional digital unit:

strymon » El Capistan dTape Echo – Tape Echo Delay Effects Pedal

OOPS didn't watch the first video...
El Capstain is interesting, but it being digital wouldnt it be the same as using echoboy, on a record?

It sounds digital too, I guess I could tame it with further processing

If I end up using echoboy I think Ill take the wet signal out of the daw, pass it through a lot external preamps / compressors / eqs / burl b2 / back to the daw. Or this might be an overkill and I should just get the expensive thing.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

I have a Roland RE-301 chorus echo (space echo with chorus).
I haven't tried the echoplex or any of the pedals, but I love my 301. It's noisy, and has lo output, but it adds that certain analog vibe to the signal, that gives it more authenticity and dirt.

I've always used samples and am accustomed to the whole dirty crackly noisy sound, that adds so much character to the music.
the space echo is great for adding that flavor to cleaner dryer sources.
It's not perfect, but that's what makes it perfect!

The RE-201 is the considered to be the classic model for the Roland space echos, and the re501 and sre555 are the pro versions with XLR I/O, but I'm sure any of them will suffice.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob The Viking View Post
I have a Roland RE-301 chorus echo (space echo with chorus). The RE-201 is the considered to be the classic model for the Roland space echos, and the re501 and sre555 are the pro versions with XLR I/O, but I'm sure any of them will suffice.
Checking the RE 201, pretty neat
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear
I've got an EP2 (tube), EP3, Roland RE501 and a good friend who sells Fulltone effects:

EP2: great sounding piece of gear, but the tube aspect does make it a little more prone to trouble. Mine sounds fine but I wouldn't rely on it and it's a bit microphonic (despite new tubes).

EP3: Sound great, more reliable, no downside I can see, except that it does involve tape.

Fulltone TTE: my friend's store had 4 of them, 3 arrived broken or only partly functional. If you get a good one, you're laughing, so buy used...

RE201/301/501/555: less interesting preamp to my ears, adds reverb and chorus which is cool, much harder to get at to fix and there's no replacement for the motor if it goes. Still, great piece.

Memory Boy: Tried one, not impressed, when I wanted a modulated analog delay, I preferred the Diamond Memory Lane or the old Yamaha E1005/1010.
Old 22nd December 2010
Deleted User
voice of doom here... the only reason to use an old Echoplex is IF you are playing guitar thru it - it give you the old echo plex sound because of the signal path for BOTH the dry and echo signals (mostly the dry side) if you are using it mainly for the DAW or as an insert you lose this color in the original signal... if there is anything you can cheap out on it is echo... as long as your dry signal sound like you want it to you are 99% there... the primary reason most echo's dont 'sound good' is the crap they add to the original signal. I have a line 6 delay modeler that I thought kinda su cked until I had Keeley put some Burr Brown chips in it .. now it sounds great BECAUSE the original sound of the input is retained and it has enough headroom to use with really hot signals..

listen to your wallet on this one... spend the munny on mics
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I've had a 1/2dozen Echoplexes in the last 30 years, great boxes. Hard to maintain/get repaired, not reliable. I've had a Fulltone TTE for about 5 years. Never a problem. Sounds fantastic. Plus I can run it off my ULN8 as an outboard effect.

Don't know the echoboy, but Echoplex vs. TTE is a no brainer.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain View Post
voice of doom here... the only reason to use an old Echoplex is IF you are playing guitar thru it
Yes, this is for the guitar to play through - right after compression and before the amp.

I might also use it on keybs / inserts depending on which one I get.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I used to stack three vintage models, 2 gray and one black. Replaced the tape with Maxell. Had techs playing with the preamps and tubes. Did all sorts of things to try to stop them from sucking tone. Loved the tape echo, hated what it did to the sound of my guitars.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohami View Post
Yes, this is for the guitar to play through - right after compression and before the amp.

My TTE is always a part of my guitar rig, electric or acoustic. I may change out pedals, change guitars or change amps for a show, the only constant is the TTE. WHen I'm mixing, it's always hanging of one of the analog sends of the ULN8 in case I want to use it. I have a local player who uses me on occasion in the studio - I bring the TTE and work the knobs while he plays guitar. The thing is a fvcking gas.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1
I've got an EP2 (tube), EP3, Roland RE501 and a good friend who sells Fulltone effects:

EP2: great sounding piece of gear, but the tube aspect does make it a little more prone to trouble. Mine sounds fine but I wouldn't rely on it and it's a bit microphonic (despite new tubes).

EP3: Sound great, more reliable, no downside I can see, except that it does involve tape.

Fulltone TTE: my friend's store had 4 of them, 3 arrived broken or only partly functional. If you get a good one, you're laughing, so buy used...

RE201/301/501/555: less interesting preamp to my ears, adds reverb and chorus which is cool, much harder to get at to fix and there's no replacement for the motor if it goes. Still, great piece.

Memory Boy: Tried one, not impressed, when I wanted a modulated analog delay, I preferred the Diamond Memory Lane or the old Yamaha E1005/1010.

A note about the Fulletone... I have been through a few, never found one not working. I think your friend must have had bad luck here...
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Fulltone is wining, so far
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
My TTE is always a part of my guitar rig, electric or acoustic. I may change out pedals, change guitars or change amps for a show, the only constant is the TTE. WHen I'm mixing, it's always hanging of one of the analog sends of the ULN8 in case I want to use it. I have a local player who uses me on occasion in the studio - I bring the TTE and work the knobs while he plays guitar. The thing is a fvcking gas.
Do you use pads / Reamp / DI to use the fulltone as an insert, or can it take line level?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain View Post
.. if there is anything you can cheap out on it is echo... as long as your dry signal sound like you want it to you are 99% there...
this would be my philosophy as well
I know we are gearslutz, but it's echo for heaven's sake
The power of echo in mixing is in the timing, not the tone.

The versatility of the plug-in far outweighs the tonal advantages of the retro boxes. Besides the Soundtoys stuff sounds pretty damn good.

Quote:
listen to your wallet on this one... spend the munny on mics
mics!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you use pads / Reamp / DI to use the fulltone as an insert, or can it take line level?
I set the send and return to +4, nothing else is in the signal path.
Old 23rd December 2010
I'm definitely NOT a 'just because you can afford it' type person. Though I should point out that this is easy for me because I never can. But, I'd still get the TTE. For me, delay is something I like to use, and if you are of the Pink Floyd school, or even more recently I guess the Shoegazy and various other genres along the way, where the tone of the delay is important because it's such a big part of the sound, I'l not cheap out on the delay if I could afford it.

I've listened to a lot of demos of delays and the TTE really has something going for it. It would be one of those things that just makes me want to plug in and play, and that's always a great sign. The fact that it could also be used in the mix would be just another bonus.

ProGuitarShop.com has a good shootout between the Empress Modified delay, which has a pretty good tapish emulation mode. But even I (non-golden eared for sure) could pick out the TTE with eyes closed quite easily. It just sounds great. The Empress is no slouch, and pricey as well being almost $500, though of course it's VASTLY more flexible as well. But for just Hot Delay Love, the TTE really was the winner there.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
this would be my philosophy as well
I know we are gearslutz, but it's echo for heaven's sake
The power of echo in mixing is in the timing, not the tone.

The versatility of the plug-in far outweighs the tonal advantages of the retro boxes. Besides the Soundtoys stuff sounds pretty damn good.

mics!
I have all of those, and they all sound different to me and do different things. If I am playing guitar, it's just easier and more fun to go through an echo box, and the TTE or EP is great and super vibey, or something like an old MXR analog delay (or carbon copy). But they are all mostly one (really nice) sound. For mixing or recording it just seems a lot easier to use a plug-in. You can dial in all sorts of sounds, from clean to warbly and gritty, and for vocals or other instruments sometimes the guitar echoes are just a little too lo-fi for my taste. And in my biased opinion, being able to dial in a swing or shuffle groove on EchoBoy is really nice, musical, and unique.

And a disclaimer, I designed the EchoBoy, so take that with a grain of salt...
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

The Fulltone does nice things for the guitar sound, as pointed out above, the non-echo tone is helped as well. It boosts things a little, in a nice way.

I've had mine for a few years, no problems.

Another guitarist's box that's nice is the Memory Man Deluxe. Kinda noisy, does the boost thing, not a huge amount of delay, but people swear by them. There's some guy in an Irish band that uses one.

But, c'mon, if we're talking high end, it's TTE all the way.
Old 23rd December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:

then , yeah it does a nice thing... if you can deal with the vintage aspects .. I will have to say that the line ^ AFTER the KEELEY mod has been wonderful ... I can do the analog warble and degenerate or fill the room with pristine echo's ..three presets and tap tempo are great... would not have it unmodded...huge diff.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

The echoed guitar wont be masked by other instruments, think U2, so the tone is everything

My head is spinning towards the Fulltone

Echoboy is nice, I can still add that to other sources
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

You guys in the USA have obviously not had any exposure to all the OTHER tube and solid state veterans our there, many of which eat the Echoplex for lunch.

A lot more of the european boxes have multiple fixed heads instead of one sliding head, which makes for far more complexity and versatility.
Even the humble Watkins Copicat with its multi heads AND varispeed can rip the average Echoplex a new one.
There is/was also a UK equivalent of the echoplex, albeit solid state, made by H and H amplification in the seventies with the same sliding head deal.

If you want something that will truly blow your mind, find a Binson or even a Baby Binson in good condition and have a play.
German made back when that still meant something & record/repro was off a wire disk. Killer tone, too.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You guys in the USA have obviously not had any exposure to all the OTHER tube and solid state veterans our there, many of which eat the Echoplex for lunch.
Im in Argentina and havent been exposed to any of that either, share some links
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I use both every day plus echoboy and a space echo (201). The ep3 and tte are surprisingly different animals. There's a lot more range of what you can do with the tte due to the onboard tone and drive controls. However I find myself more drawn to the ep3 on a daily basis. It has a character all of it's own. If I need more control than the ep3 I find myself using echoboy as often as the tte. Both seem to eat tapes at the same rate when set up correctly. I highly recommend building a jig and getting some lubricated tape to fill your own cartridges. Don't forget to get lubricated tape! It lasts sooooo much longer. As a side note I also rewind cartridges for people.

If I had to strip down it would be the ep3 and echoboy without question.

Oh, and in the last month I built a balanced to unbalanced converter based on the jlm audio dingo pup pcb for all my tape echos and it improved the sound exponentially! It's certainly possible to get along without one but I highly recommend it when using any gear that was designed for guitar rather than line level.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

The solid-state EP3 sounds like Led Zeppelin. It's dirty, gritty, vibey, etc etc.

The TTE is a flawless "textbook" tape echo. It just sounds like the biggest analog echo you've ever heard.

I voted for the EP3. I sold mine when I got my EP-2, and wish I hadn't. They're different enough to justify owning both.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

the EP and fulltone both sound great.
much more grit and vibe than any plug in i have heard.

i bought the fulltone because the EP i had was REALLy cantankerous and the fulltone seems much more reliable and solid.

the fulltone has an amazing sound and having the drive and tone knobs opens up a wide variety of sonic colors not available in the EP.

i use my TTE on almost every mix i do.

i have tried to get plug ins to do the same think and they just dont..........
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I bought the fulltone TT. I found an EP3 for 300 bucks on ebay but - without being able to test it first - my logical mind won this match

Lets see what happens to my guitar tone when this little princess arrives
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Fulltone

Fuller does a good job, but I live for gear like the original. That rat nest it pure tone. BTW that Chinese has been ripped out of that Champion. It is P2P with Mercury tranies.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search