The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Echoplex EP3 vs Fulltone Tube Tape vs Echoboy? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
View Poll Results: Echoplex vs Fulltone vs Echoboy
Vintage Echoplex EP3
16 Votes - 25.81%
Fulltone Tupe Tape
29 Votes - 46.77%
Echoboy / UAD / Nebula etc
13 Votes - 20.97%
Other
4 Votes - 6.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

I've had the Fulltone for 6 years,never let me down and is always hooked up to my Uberschall-gonna try it on vocals next.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traintrack View Post

Fulltone

Fuller does a good job, but I live for gear like the original. That rat nest it pure tone. BTW that Chinese has been ripped out of that Champion. It is P2P with Mercury tranies.
I want all of them
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

I've had a 501, EP3 and a TTE. I still use the TTE every day. That said I wish I kept the others as they each have their own special magic.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

I own a EP-2 which sounds great but is very finicky. I have friends that own the Fulltone and it sounds awesome and you won't have any maintainance problems with it.

E
Old 27th December 2010
I LOVE the Soundtoys plugs, am an evangelist, and use Echo Boy liberally as my #1 goto ITB Delay Plug In... that said, I can't imagine it could get close to the Fulltone or that the EP3 would be as reliable...

I lust for the Fulltone, that's my vote. I know a few people with them and they are mojo machines for sure - but at a grand... I'll be be a waitin' a while to get one...
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone with a real EP tried the UA EP? For those loving Soundtoys, I think the Echoboy's EP emu doesn't even come close to the UA..

Herwig
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

The particular TTE I've had experience with was bought used and it was truck since day one. It's gone years with no issues.

You can get a lot of tonal variations with it but it is still on the cleaner side.

For those times you want something really dirty and vibey you may come up a little short with the TTE is all, but for everything else it's bomb.

Sits just right in a mix, that is where plugins like Echoboy fail the most.
Old 29th December 2010
theother
Had some issues with the tape cartridges for the Fulltone. After a day or say they would make this horrendous sounding mechanical noises. Maybe this is normal? I don't know. Sounded quite good but eventually sold it...

Just stay away from the Blue Coconut Echoverb. I had two of these and they had to be sent to repair over 8 times. Every time they came back (after waiting for 1-2 months to fix them) they had the same fault within a day.

I wanted to return them, asked for a refund and the manufacturer/distributor just ignored me and wouldn't have any of it. Should have sued them. Really!
KMR eventually were so kind to give me a part-refund.
Old 30th July 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You guys in the USA have obviously not had any exposure to all the OTHER tube and solid state veterans our there, many of which eat the Echoplex for lunch.

A lot more of the european boxes have multiple fixed heads instead of one sliding head, which makes for far more complexity and versatility.
Even the humble Watkins Copicat with its multi heads AND varispeed can rip the average Echoplex a new one.
There is/was also a UK equivalent of the echoplex, albeit solid state, made by H and H amplification in the seventies with the same sliding head deal.

If you want something that will truly blow your mind, find a Binson or even a Baby Binson in good condition and have a play.
German made back when that still meant something & record/repro was off a wire disk. Killer tone, too.
" If you want something that will truly blow your mind, find a Binson or even a Baby Binson in good condition and have a play.
German made back when that still meant something & record/repro was off a wire disk. Killer tone, too."

Probably, I did not understand: perhaps did you mean to say that Binson is connected to Germany? Or are you referring to famous reel-to-reel recorders?
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Camp - Binsons were made in germany and were multi head echo machines that used wire discs instead of tape loop to record. Google them. Wonderful machines.
If memory serves Binson also made PA heads somew with echo built uin, some not.
A couple of other popular good brands around in europe at the time were the Klemt Echolette and Swissecho.

Also the classic Meazzi Factotum!

I was always totally underwhelmed by the sliding (single ) head machines, personally.
Old 2nd August 2016
Gear Maniac

Binson was an italian company, not german! The Binson Echorec is well known for having being used for the drum room delay on Zeppelins "When The Levee Breaks" by Glyn Johns.
Actually there was a germany company called "Schaller" who also built disc echos, I have one on my shelf right now, waiting to be revised and tested. Sadly the Echorecs are somewhat rare and pricey.

Otherwise a happy TTE user, while I sometimes prefer the Roland RE-201 or a simpler Dynacord Echo. Also have a Echoplex EP-3, but it doesn't get much use, since I have the TTE. A Delay geek in any sense.

Greets
Ray
Old 4th August 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Camp - Binsons were made in germany and were multi head echo machines that used wire discs instead of tape loop to record. Google them. Wonderful machines.
If memory serves Binson also made PA heads somew with echo built uin, some not.
A couple of other popular good brands around in europe at the time were the Klemt Echolette and Swissecho.

Also the classic Meazzi Factotum!

I was always totally underwhelmed by the sliding (single ) head machines, personally.
:-) I'm sorry: I had not seen your reply but then I saw you answered me on that other thread. As I said there, in Italy there are other (solid state) echoes disc, tucked into some mixers (first of all, the old, the heavy Lombardi): I was almost thinking of buying one of those mixer at low prices to extract the Echo but there is more that I been chasing for years on the Japanese market:
http://www.vocu.jp/products/manuals/VTE1600Manual.pdf

Curiously, I have recently discovered that the idea of a mini tape echo seems to have been "stolen" to a small and late "built in tape echo" by Meazzi Caldironi, which powered the mixer of a cheap brand. I am afraid that this Meazzi was an unworthy son of the true Meazzi echoes.
MIXER ANALOGICO EMTHREE M3 HOT LINE 8 CON ECHO ECO A NASTRO MEAZZI CALDIRONI - #2354476 - su Mercatino Musicale in Mixer Analogici
Old 4th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp View Post
:-) I'm sorry: I had not seen your reply but then I saw you answered me On Tìthat other thread. I am afraid that this Meazzi was an unworthy son of the true Meazzi echoes.
And in the other thread I expressed surprise that Binsons were Italian. Used them for a fair old while in the sixties and just assumed at the time that the high level of precision engineering and quality construction came from Germany!

The older valve tape echo boxes I can recall using in the early sixties were the Meazzi Factotum, Klemt Echolette, Binson Echorec, Swissecho, Watkins Copicat, Vox`s cheap knockoff of the Copicat and of course the Dynacords.

I wish I had held onto at least one of these, but being young and poor I usually had to sell them to finance buying something else!
Old 4th August 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
And in the other thread I expressed surprise that Binsons were Italian. Used them for a fair old while in the sixties and just assumed at the time that the high level of precision engineering and quality construction came from Germany!

The older valve tape echo boxes I can recall using in the early sixties were the Meazzi Factotum, Klemt Echolette, Binson Echorec, Swissecho, Watkins Copicat, Vox`s cheap knockoff of the Copicat and of course the Dynacords.

I wish I had held onto at least one of these, but being young and poor I usually had to sell them to finance buying something else!
;-) Less or more, more and less, it was the same for me :-)))) And it all started when I got a defective Twin Reverb amp: sell this and buy that :-) In the end, we're aged (and seasoned) :-)
Old 4th August 2016
Here for the gear

I have the fulltone tube tape echo. Unit sounds pretty good I must say. Its also a bit on the fragile side.
Old 5th August 2016
Lives for gear

Fulltone, without a doubt.....
Ok, well, if you are wanting to chance a vintage unit, Binson all the way!

Doesn't the current Hiwatt company make a real tape echo currently? Anyone have any experience?
JJ
Boogie Tracks Recording Studio Boogie Tracks
Old 5th August 2016
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=druhms;12057193]

"Doesn't the current Hiwatt company make a real tape echo currently? Anyone have any experience?"

As You probably know, the Hiwatt / Fernandes (Japan) sold the CTE 2000 until 2005 approximately. It was the black version of VTE 2000 (by Vocu). The version 1600, even more compact, is what I'm looking for. I think that the Hiwatt no longer produces tape delay. You can find a few demoes of both VTE and CTE on the web (for example, I remember a delay shootout).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search