The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Lynx Rme Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Apogee Lynx Rme

Hi people !

I have currently the Rosetta 800 connected to Rme multiface via adat and can record 16 channels @48Khz ( 8 apogge ch and 8 RME ch conversion)

I would like to upgrade the system to maybe Lynx Aurora 16 but I would like to keep the total mix of the RME cos I really like it very much .

I can get the adat card for lynx and the digiface RME and connect it via ADAT for 16 I/O s @ 48Khz

Is there any other way , maybe with one of the RME`s PCI or PCI express Cards ? This way I should be able to record 16 channels @ 96 Khz right ?
Any problem with cables between Aurora and RME Cards ? Stability issues etc .. ?

Thanks
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

RME makes several 16 channel plus cards that will work for 96 or 192k recordings. You are best off looking at their website or calling their local distributor in your country for advice. Lynx also makes a couple of 16x16 cards, and their routing software looks to be on par with TotalMix, though I have been using TotalMix for years and have never used the Lynx router.
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

Using RME Raydat with Lynx Aurora 16 here. Aurora is expanded with ADAT card. Works excellent, no issues at all. I like Totalmix too. Once you figured out how it works, it's great.

Chris
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHaag View Post
Using RME Raydat with Lynx Aurora 16 here. Aurora is expanded with ADAT card. Works excellent, no issues at all. I like Totalmix too. Once you figured out how it works, it's great.

Chris
OK , but then you are limited to 48Khz by using more than 8 channels right? Is there anything else from RME that can provide 16 channels @ 96 or 16 ch @ 192 Khz with Lynx Aurora 16 ?
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Yes, that's true, you're limited then. Just had a look at the Lynx Adat interface manual, and it seems the limitation comes from there. It has only two inputs and two outputs. The Raydat has enough of them.

As far as I see a MADI connection could do the trick. You'd have 16 channels up to 192 kHz. There is a MADI card by Lynx and the matching RME card would be HDSPe MADI.

As an alternative you could use AES. The Aurora has AES on board. The matching RME would be HDSPe AES.

Chris
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

It seems like the AES from lynx is the ticket for 16 channel of 96 or 192, but then forget about the Total Mix
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Get the AES card from RME, see my last post. Should do all you need and has Totalmix.

Chris
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHaag View Post
Get the AES card from RME, see my last post. Should do all you need and has Totalmix.

Chris
Thanks Chris

Yeah I saw this , but I think there is an issue with a cable, lynx being yamaha and RME tascam pin or something like that . I will check this out for sure .
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

there are a few suppliers of Yamaha to Tascam interface cables...we recently got one from Mogami...tho both Hosa (Zaolla) & Yamaha have them
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Ok , I see .

And what is actually a difference between Lynx AES16 and AES16e ?
Can both be used with Aurora 16 and provide 16 channel @ 96 or 192 Khz?

Can I connect the apogee rosetta 800 or Apogee 16 ADX to AES16 too?
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

It seems like a lot of new converters are coming next year , so maybe I should wait with upgrade ...

New Apogee is out , new benchmark 16 ch AD is out in January , there is also Radar 8,16,24 CH ADDA ....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search