The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rock/metal drum head choice
Old 24th August 2002
Han
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk

im really digging this Evan EQ3 head too. who knows how long its tone will last but i guess i will find out. its got a much better tone right now than the powerstroke head i had on it before.

Well Barrett, mine has done a great job for five years now and it still sounds great, although it has a small dent somewhere in the center. :eek:

Have you guys (Jon too) tried the Premier CS heads on toms?
They're not easy to get, a bit rare, although the Premier Genista (birch) kit has them standard when new.

These are the best tom heads I've heard so far, not as strong as pin stripes, but a much nicer tone and attack.

A head with a couple of dents will have a lousy tone anyway, so very hard hitting drummers with a bad technique are a problem.

IMHO an engineer must be able to tune drums right? It's not very difficult to tune drums and make them sound at least decent.
Old 24th August 2002
Lives for gear

a little more on the axis....nothing touches it in craftsmanship, quietness and overall build quality. If it works for you personally, you can't go wrong.But as a "studio pedal" I think that a couple 2 3 pedals to choose from (for the price of an Axis ) would be the way to go...drummers either love 'em or hate 'em. BTW, I played the buffed out double Axis with the trigger mod installed (killer!) for a couple of years then on a lark used a friends p 880 (pearl) it just worked right for me from the start. and I traded in my pedals and got two double pedals in the trade (at West LA music ) I'm not finnicky at all about pedals as I fly all over and am subjected to all kinda stuff (the DW 5000 is the standard rider friendly pedal BTW) but I was constantly noodling with my axis' pedals. Good luck!
Old 25th August 2002
There is only one

nah, the pedal would be JUST for ME. i kinda believe that drummers should all use their own pedals. i dont want to record a drummer with a ****ty pedal either. i think pedals are just too personal to rely on a "studio" rental.
Old 25th August 2002
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
nah, the pedal would be JUST for ME. i kinda believe that drummers should all use their own pedals. i dont want to record a drummer with a ****ty pedal either. i think pedals are just too personal to rely on a "studio" rental.
Amen. I always bring a pedal and cymbals and usually a snare drum if I'm playing someone else?s drums.
Old 25th August 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound

I always bring a pedal and cymbals and usually a snare drum if I'm playing someone else?s drums.
All the guys who work out here bring their own snares, cymbals and pedals, but a couple prefer my old Ludwig snare to their own snares.
Old 25th August 2002
Motown legend

Let me put in a plug for the Remos too. Everything else I've run into for 30 years has been a step backwards from what I could get using the appropriate tuning and damping with regular coated Remos. They do need to be replaced often and the thinner, better sounding ones need to be replaced more frequently. Damping methods may include "O"-rings, a wallet, scrunched up tissue paper, little squares of cloth or felt, tea towels and others. While this kind of damping may not be appropriate for live gigs and doesn't look good, it sure gets the great sound in the studio.

I was very disappointed by the lack of quality I saw in the Gretsch booth at NAMM a year ago so it's good to hear that they apparently are still making some great drums.
Old 26th August 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson

I was very disappointed by the lack of quality I saw in the Gretsch booth at NAMM a year ago so it's good to hear that they apparently are still making some great drums.
I'll be interested in seeing how they are now, too - one of my regular drummers just switched his endorsement from Pearl to Gretsch
Old 26th August 2002
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson

I was very disappointed by the lack of quality I saw in the Gretsch booth at NAMM a year ago so it's good to hear that they apparently are still making some great drums. [/B]
Since Kaman got involved in distribution they have added a bunch of imported drums that are like all the other drums in that range. They sound pretty good for the money, but are nothing special. The American made Gretsch drums still kick ass. It's basically the same drums they've been making since about the '40s or early '50s.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search