The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great River: MP500 Vs. M1 Nv 500 Series Preamps
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Great River: MP500 Vs. M1 Nv

I saved some money to buy some gear and I have been looking at the me1nv and was about to buy it until I saw the mp500.. They seem to have the same specs. Now, I have a question. Do they sound the same? or should I spend the 1150 on the me1nv.
Me1nv= $1150
MP500=800 + Adesigns 500 series 2 rack $299 = $1100

Which one is better? or are they the same?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

They are the same, but it takes two spaces side by side so it won't work in the A-Designs (or other single-RU 500 series racks).
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

The real quesiton you must answer is: how long will you be able to stand the sight of a lunchbox with empty spaces?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear
Definitely go the lunchbox route. And by the way - we just got the 500 series Great River pre and it is every bit as awesome as the hype. A pleasure to record with.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzit0 View Post
Do they sound the same? are they the same?
These are the questions I'm always asking myself when it comes to gear that exists in a 'normal' standalone version and as 500 series version.

Sooooo..... anyone know that? Are they ALWAYS the same, or at least sounding the same, no matter what gear we're talking about?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzit0 View Post
(...) Do they sound the same? (...)Which one is better? or are they the same?(...)
Nobody better suited to answer this than Dan Kennedy himself.

The APA Revolver can house double-width modules.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

...wait and buy a clean used ME-1NV like I did...get the original and really save...I paid $850 shipped right here from the GS classifieds...

...brilliant preamp!...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Thank you all for your opinions !
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
They are the same, but it takes two spaces side by side so it won't work in the A-Designs (or other single-RU 500 series racks).
I knew they gr 500 looked kinda big to fit in a single rack but wasn't sure ! thanks for your help
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
The real quesiton you must answer is: how long will you be able to stand the sight of a lunchbox with empty spaces?
Maybe not long, that may make me go crazy haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
Definitely go the lunchbox route. And by the way - we just got the 500 series Great River pre and it is every bit as awesome as the hype. A pleasure to record with.
Congrats, Thanks for your opinioN !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberizer View Post
These are the questions I'm always asking myself when it comes to gear that exists in a 'normal' standalone version and as 500 series version.

Sooooo..... anyone know that? Are they ALWAYS the same, or at least sounding the same, no matter what gear we're talking about?
they should
Quote:
Nobody better suited to answer this than Dan Kennedy himself.

The APA Revolver can house double-width modules.
I'll check that out
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...wait and buy a clean used ME-1NV like I did...get the original and really save...I paid $850 shipped right here from the GS classifieds...

...brilliant preamp!...
I'll check the classifieds !heh and congrats on your purchase hope you enjoy it !

I've found a preamp that caught my attention:
Would somebody compare the me 1nv with a Brent Averill 1073DMP ?
they are about the same price $1150 vs. $995
There are so many choices that one can go crazy just by trying to choose one
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are they ALWAYS the same, or at least sounding the same, no matter what gear we're talking about?
No, they're not always the same...in some cases they are (such as with the Great River) and in some they're not (as with the A Designs P1, which sounds slightly different than the Pacifica as it uses a different transformer)...but the manfacturer will usually tell you either way.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict
ME-1NV has an insert point whereas the MP-500NV does not
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainj View Post
ME-1NV has an insert point whereas the MP-500NV does not
Yeah, but it's not a standard line-level insert, like on a console. It's made to patch in the EQ-1NV.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict
hmm, I use it to patch my distressor in (via 1/4" ins/outs on the distressor) and it works great with perfect gain staging.
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Just ordered a GR MP500 for my lunchbox, let's hope it lives up to the hype.
Nice to see that so many people like it
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmm, I use it to patch my distressor in (via 1/4" ins/outs on the distressor) and it works great with perfect gain staging.
From the user's manual:
"Patch
This patch jack or insert point jack is a 1/4" TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) type. The Tip is send, the Ring
is return, and the Sleeve is ground. The nominal level is approximately -10dBv."

I guess it can be made to work with additional gain stages in between.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringan87 View Post
Just ordered a GR MP500 for my lunchbox, let's hope it lives up to the hype.
Nice to see that so many people like it
I`ve had mine for about a year now. It really tightens up vocals and adds a nice depth to electric guitars. I was actually not happy with the results on acoustic guitar, using the AT4050s which was surprising. I prefer the Avalon 737 for acoustic guitars. I`ve yet to try it as a DI.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
BTW, do you use the Distressor's output to get some hair out of the transformer?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
From the user's manual:
"Patch
This patch jack or insert point jack is a 1/4" TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) type. The Tip is send, the Ring
is return, and the Sleeve is ground. The nominal level is approximately -10dBv."

I guess it can be made to work with additional gain stages in between.
-10dbv IS line level (consumer gear and/or unbalanced connections for lots of pro gear)
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
BTW, do you use the Distressor's output to get some hair out of the transformer?
Hi André,

Not sure exactly what you mean but I assume you are talking about the output transformer of the ME-1NV (since there is no transformer in the distressor). Depends on the sound I'm looking for but I generally keep the ME-1NVs output so that the yellow LEDs rarely if ever light up. I can achieve pretty good levels by keeping the input and output of the distressor somewhere in the 6-7 range with the output of the ME-1NV set to the 12 o'clock position (roughly the same settings as if I were to not use the insert and just have the balanced outs of the ME-1NV go into the balanced ins of the distressor). Most of the time I think it sounds better using the inserts (probably because in that scenario the output transformer of the pre is the final stage)
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
-10dbv IS line level (consumer gear and/or unbalanced connections for lots of pro gear)
Absolutely.
When I said "line", I really meant +4dB.
But hey, it works.

Last edited by andychamp; 17th January 2011 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 17th January 2011
500 series nutjob

grab a lunchbox!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search