The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 560 or 550A 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

API 560 or 550A

Hi everyone!

I've two empty slots in my lunchbox. I've a good deal for 2 API 560.
Do I have to put a bit more $ for 2 550A?
I'v never had any experience with one of those eqs but I know the waves collection and I really like it.

Thank you
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

the 560 kicks ass for drums (among many other things). I have 4 of them . . . had them forever. My go to eqs for kick snare in particular. I use them over the 550s I have at times.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

The 550a is a classic and hard to improve on. The 560 is a great tool for quickly making eq changes but obviously with its limited number of frequency bands it's a less flexible tool than a 550a. The 550B has an additional band for more flexibility but the top end of the 550a is sweeter to my ears. I tend to use the 560 on snare and kick while either the 550a or 550b are flexible enough to be used on any source.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

exactly what Hud said. The 550a has a sweeter top than the 550b. the 560 is indeed great for drums, but is quite musical and finds its way onto lots of sources. So it really depends on your anticipated use depending on the other eqs you've got.
david
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I have one of each, and the 560 gets used more often than the 550b.
But having the choice is great.
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

Thank you for your replies.

First sorry for my english.

Thing is, I'm moving to Berlin and I have to leave the studio where I work since I'm 12 (my father's studio). Until now I've worked with beatifull gear.
Since I planned my trip, I bought good monitors, converters (Metric Halo, Crane Song) and compressors (The Phoenix, Chandler Zener, Xpresseor, Purple Audio and C1) and I used a Trident 65 for equing my tracks. I'm not really happy with the Trident so I would like to change for a neve8816 (I've a deal) and some eq's. I've already have 2 siemens w295b and the clariphonic (mix buss). A guy here (in geneva) offered me a good price for two 560, but as I'm a bit poor on eqs, I'd like to know if I should take something more versatile... Some advises?

Thanks.
Old 22nd December 2010
member no 666

The 560 has always been my favorite API equalizer - I like it quite a bit more than the 550a or 500b... but this is all a matter of personal aesthetic so while they work for me, perhaps they won't for you.

Peace.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Yea, I agree.
I have some old APSI eqs I like as well (a different animal / NOT API of course).
Some people don't like them . . . I use them all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
The 560 has always been my favorite API equalizer - I like it quite a bit more than the 550a or 500b... but this is all a matter of personal aesthetic so while they work for me, perhaps they won't for you.

Peace.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I prefer 560 for Drums and bass and many of the other things, and I would choose the other EQ than 550a/b when 560 doesn't fit. I didn't like reissue 560, but someone told me current version sounds better than the ones that is manufactured 5-10 years ago. I don't know if this is true.
Old 17th January 2011
500 series nutjob

i like the 550A
Old 17th January 2011
I like neither.
Old 17th January 2011
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
I like neither.
not that it matter but that just really surprises me thrill?
Old 17th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
not that it matter but that just really surprises me thrill?
Yeah never have. I don't really find them useful for the way i work at all. It doesn't make them bad or nothing, just doesn't fit my sonic aesthetic.
Old 17th January 2011
500 series nutjob

i know you have commented in the past they were not your thing just always surprised me. no real reason that it should just always has: )
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

560's!!

While some of the frequencies of the 550A/B might seem sweeter, I find the 560's more versatile--10 bands at once as opposed to 3 or 4. In any event, I'd rather have a pair of 560's than one 550A or B.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

buy the 560's. great eq!
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Guru

I have never owned a API eq, but I will someday.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search