The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL style Bus Comp? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

SSL style Bus Comp?

What is the best SSL style bus compressor?

There is the Obsidian, the Obsidian 500, the Alan Smart units........

Which is the daddy?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

They're all great in their own ways.

As far as VCA i think the Shadow Hills MC and Vertigo are the top dogs.

for more of the SSL "vibe" the 384, smart c1/c2 or the obsidian are all great choices.
Old 21st December 2010
I'm going to have to state the obvious and say that the SSL G Compressor is going to be the closest thing to a real SSL because it is a real SSL.
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post

Which is the daddy?
What kind of "thing" are you after bassjam?

In the immortal worlds of the Arnold the Kindergarten Cop - "Who is your daddy, and what does he do?"

.....I do see "best" in there - but there are plenty of colors in the rainbow! All of them are magical, but I don't want to compress me pot of gold!!!!

The Obsidian 500 is the same exact audio boards/topology and transformers as the Rack unit - except for the first Ratio setting and the selectable High Pass Filter, so it makes the unit a bit more versatile at the end of the day.

The C2 is a fine box as well!! It is perhaps a bit more clinical - precise in settings - with no HPF as standard - and in my experience doesn't stay as wide and solid sounding as the D/A/O, but is a seriously useful tool for buss compression, tracking and mixing if its action/feel and style get your billy goat bucking!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Well we went for the 5.1 compressor in the desk (88RS) so we are looking for something to give the quad bus compressor sound on the mix bus and or the drum bus. Our experience with the new SSL gear is that a lot of it isnt built that well.

5.1 would be nice.......
Old 21st December 2010
Jai guru deva om

TK Audio has made a huge and successful effort with the BC1, seems it would be a contender.

War
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

SSL style Bus Comp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam
Our experience with the new SSL gear is that a lot of it isnt built that well.
Really??? I've read alot of good reviews and have enjoyed working on alot of their new stuff
Old 22nd December 2010
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
I'm going to have to state the obvious and say that the SSL G Compressor is going to be the closest thing to a real SSL because it is a real SSL.
no it isn't (unless you buy the old G384fx unit)
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

good bus comp

i like my 384 bus comp
C
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear
I have an SSL G comp on the 2-bus here, and I don't know the direct competition. But comparing to Rupert Neve and AMS-Neve 33609J/D I like how the SSL G comp sharpens the track, rythmically. I like the others too for their sound, but the SSL somehow does something to the precision of the rhythm. It makes the music tight, that's my impression. Maybe someone can comment on this.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
I have an SSL G comp on the 2-bus here, and I don't know the direct competition. But comparing to Rupert Neve and AMS-Neve 33609J/D I like how the SSL G comp sharpens the track, rythmically. I like the others too for their sound, but the SSL somehow does something to the precision of the rhythm. It makes the music tight, that's my impression. Maybe someone can comment on this.
Well its a very different topology than the Neve, the SSL sound is very hifi, its the amazing 80's pop sound.

Thats what Im looking for, the quad bus comp but in a rack unit.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I absolutely love my G384, honestly I'm not sure if I was ever so immediately and long-term satisfied by anything else so much, just keeps putting a smile on my face, like I always knows exactly what to do

Fantastic on guitar bus too... I want another
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Grey face SSL FX G384, XLogic G Series Compressor, and the TK BC1(ones I've owned)

The TK BC-1 has the poorest build quality of the lot but is the most flexible, it also has dual side chain unlike the Dramastic and other clones.

The only substantial difference in build quality over the old FX G384 and the new X logic is the case. Old was pressed steel, new is aluminium..so it weighs a lot less. Otherwise they are virtually identical build wise...I took them both to pieces to check.

I've also listened to them side by side sonically. I matched them, then set it up so I could flick instantly between the two on mixes. I could tell no real discernible difference.

They both made the mixes 'sing' when set properly and I would be happy with either. I still have the Xlogic G series.

So in answer if someone says I want a SSL Type Bus Compressor..I say buy an SSL..the new one is just fine. However if you are looking for more flexibility on top of the SSL design(which I don't need or desire) get the TK BC-1.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Have you tried The Glue?
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

SSL style Bus Comp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw
Have you tried The Glue?
Isnt that a plug ?
Old 23rd December 2010
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Isnt that a plug ?
heh

I'm partial to the Obsidian. But the C2 was a favorite for a long time (w/ the Hi pass filter cables).
Old 23rd December 2010
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac
The comp in the Audient Sumo sounds a lot like the SSL...and you'll get summing + limiter + monitoring control for less than the cost of just the SSL.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Regular John Recording - Raleigh, NC

Regular John makes a great comp. I purchased one with Lundahl's on the output.

He uses his own pcb which I believe implements some slight differences than the SSL, such as offering several more dB of transparent gain reduction. The transformers are subtle, but there. A great comp. There is a "medium" and "loud" thrust option for the mix.

I can't get over how great this thing is....
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

You also have the Hippo in 500 format
Old 26th December 2010
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
Regular John Recording - Raleigh, NC

Regular John makes a great comp. I purchased one with Lundahl's on the output.

He uses his own pcb which I believe implements some slight differences than the SSL, such as offering several more dB of transparent gain reduction. The transformers are subtle, but there. A great comp. There is a "medium" and "loud" thrust option for the mix.

I can't get over how great this thing is....
His stuff looks great! What's his pricing?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

C1...
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Which is the daddy?
So which one did you buy?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
heh
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
So which one did you buy?
None yet, probably gonna go with the Alan Smart C2 units linked for 5.1
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I like the Roll Music Super Stereo. Isn't the SSL thing exactly. Its a cleaner but great.

I also like the Shadow Buss. That thing is pretty amazing as well. I need to spend more time with it. But it is sweet! Its a DIY project.

SB4000 Boards (Next Gen GSSL) & SA-3A & T4B's ( Now taking Preorders)
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Smart C1

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search