The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts of SSL... Consoles
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Thoughts of SSL...

Hi guys ,

The dream i have since 15 years is to own a 4K (i guess i'm not the only one)
I today own an Audient ASP8024 36ch with a Studer 963 side-car 20ch.
Its a private home-studio , nothing commercial even if sometimes i record bands on demand.
I saw recently some 4048 which would be in my price range , including cabling and air con uprades.

Even if it seems doable , why do i have the feeling its a bad idea ?
Old 21st December 2010
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Thats a pretty good idea !
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post

Very, very sexy thumbsup
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Factory View Post

Even if it seems doable , why do i have the feeling its a bad idea ?
Because you've been either reading or talking to the nervous nellies around here.

You know the..."you need an X or Y" in order to have "Z" chicken littles.

And lastly there are the "SSL sounds like crap" guys because when i was working on blank and had to switch over, it was the most horrific experience in the world. It was so much, that it caused the band to be completely dropped from the label because i was not able to mix a hit on it. So because of that reason you need to buy a blank instead and did i happen to mention that i am selling my blank right now? If you buy my blank i'll also throw in some cables and stuff. Trust me you'll love my blank, all of the known personalities on the internet agree with me.

Heck that is who i brought i from.

Fact is a lot of what you read will be hear say since there aren't many people that have owned SSL consoles period or have spent a lot of time working on them(operation and or tech work).

Bottom line is if you work hard and hopefully are in good financial standing to make such a purchase than who the heck should have the right to tell you other wise?. Sure there are things that you will want in place if you are really gonna do this, but its not a mission impossible as others around here make it sound.

All that i would say is try to check it out before hand so at least you know what you are purchasing. But that could be said about used car, a boat or even a refrigerator.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Thoughts of SSL...

Hi
Nice post by thrillfactor!
I have been working on some SSL's and installed a couple. The last 4 years I have been looking after a 4040 in the studio I also work as an engineer.
Latly I have been installing a Euphonix CS2000 in a studio (or actually taking doing all the studio, lots of outboard etc). I tell you one thing: The SSL4000 is the easiest consol ever to opperate and to do tech work on! Most of the parts are easy to find, and are easy to fix. Just get sure that you get extender cards an Servicemanual with it. If cables from the patch are included it's great, DL connectors are not cheap, and you need special tools for them ( not to speak of the work making them).
For a 4048 you need 2 psu's... Your electric bill will rise though...
If you are a little familiar with tech work, have a machine room and can handle the electric bill, I promise you that you will love it!
Sound: the 4000 have it's up's and down's, but once you now it you can't blame it for making bad mixes. You can puch it and saturate in a cool way (not't for a classical recording...but hence what I said, you have to now it's strenghts and weeknes).
Routing and patch you will love!!!
I love the 4000!
A 16 ch would't do it for me, I just don't se the point. The patch/routing and the center section is half the point of the mixer. Then I rater take a MC Mix or somthing and Waves plugs...
But in the end it is just a tool....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search