The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nickelback Recording Sessions
Old 21st January 2006
Gear Addict

Nickelback Recording Sessions

I've picked up the latest album from Nickelback ("All the Right Reasons"), and I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the production. Granted, when you have guys like Mike Shipley and Randy Staub mixing, it's going to sound great. But I'm interested to get some details about how Joey Moi and the guys recorded the album. I'm looking for details on things such as mics and the mic setup used, the recording chain for guitars, etc. I read an article regarding the details from the last album, but this album has an inherently different sound to it.

So, if anyone knows any of the details or knows of any articles or links that talk about it, please let me know...thanks! thumbsup
Old 22nd January 2006
Gear Addict

yeah, and if anyone has pictures... I also am very impressed with the production.
Old 22nd January 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I believe their own studio

From my understanding, last time I was working at The Warehouse Studio up in Vancouver (where they've worked a lot and/or a lot of the guys working with them work a lot, especially Staub...amazing studio, by the way) Anyway, my understanding is that on this album, Nickleback built their own studio off the singer's hosue in a big barn (but built it out properly.) If I'm not mistaken, I think they put in an SSL 4000.

As for the rest of their gear, no idea.

-andrews

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 22nd January 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks for the info on the previous album and the "barn studio." I realize not everyone may like Nickelback, but the new album does sound amazing, and a lot of the modern rock bands I've talked with locally all want to acheive that sound. So, I'm just trying to dig up as much info as I can about their recording signal chains, mics they used, etc. Not because I want to try and copy their set-up, but to get a feel for how they approached recording.
Lives for gear

Chad's house was on cribs, and they showed a couple short shots of the studio. SSL, but I couldn't tell which one. Looked like it could have been a 9j, but I can't verify that.

I like their stuff regardless of what most think of them.

The new song Animals is pretty intense. Anyone have any idea where the hell that kick sound came from? Is that the air hole compressed to hell and back again?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Reading how they recorded the drums, wouldn't there be some phasing problems with that amount of mics set up? He's got 3 for the kick, 2 for the snare 2 on each tom (4 toms) 3 spot cymbal mics, 2 overheads, 3 room mics, and a hi hat mic, making the grand total 22 mics if i'm not mistaken. I just run a small home studio, and starting to experiment with using more mics for drums, but I tend to run into problems with phasing between mics. Is this kind of intense drum treatment standard for big studios?? What are some things that you need to do to handle the large amount of bleed and phasing going on??

Thanks
Here for the gear

and i forgot another 2 mics on his second snare
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuono
Is this kind of intense drum treatment standard for big studios?? What are some things that you need to do to handle the large amount of bleed and phasing going on??

Thanks

You don't use them all in the mix.
Old 29th January 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

From what I understand, the SSL used to belong to Greenhouse Studios ..Not to shabby a location in it's self.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre
From what I understand, the SSL used to belong to Greenhouse Studios ..Not to shabby a location in it's self.

What I "heard" was that Chad got sic of driving an hour to the studio every day, and bought all the equipement from the room they were working in "A?" and stuck it in his barn...
Lives for gear

maybe this OT but god I really like the vocal production of "Photograph" and I'm not even really a fan of NB.
Captain

Nickeback's music is liked by some and disliked by others but in terms of the engineering etc the 2 songs I mixed for the cd were very well recorded and were a blast to mix.
I mixed them on my own but talked to Chad about the mix etc by phone and he is a great guy to deal with as is his engineer Joey.......They just do what they do really well, thats why they are still in the top ten and have reached the 2 million mark after 11 weeks on this album which is not bad these days considering how ****ty sales are.
I'm sure they dont really care what their "peers" think about their music , and I'm sure they dont spend their time worrying about whether they will be remembered in 20 years time.
They are having a lot of fun now so good luck to 'em I say.
Peace shipshape
Gear Addict

The console in question I'm not sure of the model # but it was one of the earlier SSL's and is the same console that used to be in Little Mountain Sound w Bob Rock and has a host of hits done on it so many to count. Slippery When Wet.. Bunch of Motley Crue Albums, you name it. If you wanted to find out its origin If you really want to know you could call Greenhouse they'd know. As the "story" goes Greenhouse bought the equipment and the famous console, from Little mountain Sound. And Chad bought the console and the neve 1073 buckets and the couch after their big hit, and stuck it in his barn. I don't think it was cause he was really too lazy to drive into town, he discovered his sound with the combination of that console and those pres and that couch and well he wanted it all for himself and had the cash and made Greenhouse an offer they couldn't refuse and the rest is history.
Old 30th January 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Nickelback kick on the new album... make an exact copy of the kick with your normal kick sound, and then take the new track and roll out most of the lows and low mids, run it through Guitar Rig with some distortion and then an EQ to bring out that snap and then compress it to death. blend it in with your oringal kick. Probably depends on what you started with, but it sounds very similar to me. This was just farting around and going "hey, thats pretty cool"
Old 31st January 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

I hate to go on topic, but I'd love to read how to get the guitar sounds on the latest Nickleback album. Especially the intro to "Animals." Maybe I need to read through the Shipley archives.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuono
Reading how they recorded the drums, wouldn't there be some phasing problems with that amount of mics set up? He's got 3 for the kick, 2 for the snare 2 on each tom (4 toms) 3 spot cymbal mics, 2 overheads, 3 room mics, and a hi hat mic, making the grand total 22 mics if i'm not mistaken.
Thanks
Randy just pulls 'em up, listens, and says "that's a big mute!".

From listening to the records, I can tell a lot of things. For one, if they are using room mics, they are not very loud. The drums, to me, sound like top and bottom snare, kick in and one of the outside mics, overheads heavily eq'd so as to only carry the "splash" sound of the cymbals, and some toms (whenever they're played). The bass is huge (and well played). The guitars are huge (and also well played). And that Chad is sure one angry [email protected]! I give them two thumbs up for kicking ass and taking names, even if the subject material is kind of contrived.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogBob
The console in question I'm not sure of the model # but it was one of the earlier SSL's and is the same console that used to be in Little Mountain Sound w Bob Rock and has a host of hits done on it so many to count. Slippery When Wet.. Bunch of Motley Crue Albums, you name it. If you wanted to find out its origin If you really want to know you could call Greenhouse they'd know. As the "story" goes Greenhouse bought the equipment and the famous console, from Little mountain Sound. And Chad bought the console and the neve 1073 buckets and the couch after their big hit, and stuck it in his barn. I don't think it was cause he was really too lazy to drive into town, he discovered his sound with the combination of that console and those pres and that couch and well he wanted it all for himself and had the cash and made Greenhouse an offer they couldn't refuse and the rest is history.
If it is that console, that would be an 'E' with a 'G' computer retrofitted.
FX smörgåsbord user

Somebody asks about Nickelback's sound...

Bunch a guys post how they hate their music... (posts since deleted)

Then Mike Shipley posts.

...bunch more guys bash on the NB parade. (posts deletd too)

Isn't it ironic how the one gearslut who coulda answered the original question didn't feel like this audience gave two ****s? So, instead he defended his clients as most of us would.

I for one would've loved to have heard Mike's response to Almost Human's question.

Clearly a missed opportunity for all of us.

Kinda sad.

I agree with Cypress, either answer AH's question or start your own thread: Nickelback Sucks (I've saved you the trouble).

Last edited by Charles Dye; 9th May 2006 at 11:33 PM..
Old 1st February 2006 | Show parent
FX smörgåsbord user

And now if anybody does know how Nickelback gets their sound, please feel free to post here.

shipshape, we'd love some insight if you'd be willing to share.

As I've said in the past, Mike, always been a huge fan of your work, including the latest NB album.

Non-fans of NB, you've got your own thread now.

Thanks,
C

Last edited by Charles Dye; 9th May 2006 at 05:33 PM..
Old 9th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Man what's up with all of the deletes.

You have the guy who mixed a TOP 10 album willing to share!

I don't care what you think about the music, his input is VALUABLE ( I mean come on folks...).

Please stop any negative posting, you may scare away valuable information from the very folks who could offer it. Don't be so lame.

--Someone who only knows one NB song but still wants to learn.
Actually for some reason the ability to see admin / moderator AND user deletion notices / 'reasons' - wasnt switched on for this forum. (and some others)

I just switched it on.

Lets not make this a moderator Whack a Mole game!

Folks not logged in & non registered "lurkers' just see the remaining threads..

So if you want a tidy view of this thread, try logging out and looking at it again! heh
Lives for gear

In a recent issue of Guitar World Acoustic magazine (two months ago - Ryan and Chad are on the cover), when asked about the acoustic tones, Ryan Peake mentions they loved/used the Gibson SJ-200 with a Fishman pickup and miced with a Rode "acoustic microphone" - whatever that is... (I'd guess he means an NT-5? why would he call a large condensor an "acoustic mic"?)

Wait...Nickelback and Rode mentioned in the same thread?!? Lookout! I think the server's gonna explode! heh

(PS. Thanks for cleaning up the thread, Jules!)
Gear Addict

For a tracking/mixing/mastering forum, we sure have some opinionated people around here. All of these negative comments from folks who probably would love to be able to get the nickleback sound (or at least have that skill in their arsenal), but won't admit it. If a paying client comes in and wants to sound like nickleback, are you going to tell them to take a hike? I doubt it. I for one would love to at-least have the ability to obtain the sound if a song/band calls for it.

Mike
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSpace
Man what's up with all of the deletes.

You have the guy who mixed a TOP 10 album willing to share!

I don't care what you think about the music, his input is VALUABLE ( I mean come on folks...).

Please stop any negative posting, you may scare away valuable information from the very folks who could offer it. Don't be so lame.

--Someone who only knows one NB song but still wants to learn.
AGREE AGREE AGREE

thanx for saying what i would only think in my head and not have the guts to say so thanx again

cheers ramjet
Gear Nut

Well all I can say is the drum sounds on that last NB album were awesome. I was blown away by the sound when I first put the CD on.

But on a lower note I think its been crushed abit to much. Whould have to be the loudest CD to grace my CD player.

But that aside the Album ROCKS!!!!!!
FX smörgåsbord user

Nice to see this thread come back to life + on topic (due to some judicious culling from Jules the man.)

Apparently I was off topic a cupla times too.
Ooops.

It'd be awesome as hell to hear from Shipshape about this record. I'm listening to it now + it seems to follow the sonic concept Mike shared with us when he guest moderated. On the Def Leppard albums Mike told us how he + Mutt would create sounds that don't necessarily sound true or natural, but instead sound cool, different + unique. Or in a word, fresh. This is a highly paraphrased summation, but it's an approach I really respect + share.

Great sounding album, Mike!!

And great looking studio too!

Best,
Charles
Gear Addict

I haven´t read this thread for quiet some time, but I am totally shocked of all the **** going on here.
If you don´t like NB, that´s OK, but don´t make the guys who worked on the album think we here at GS are just a bunch of idiots!!!!!
It´s a great sounding album, the sound blew me away (and still does!) and for me little idiot it is a honour to be on the same forum than Mike or Charles.

If shipshape is willing to share any more info, I would really appreciate that.

Thanks for all your work!

(OT: Charles, thanks for your DVD I learned A LOT!)

Andi
Old 10th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
Chad's house was on cribs, and they showed a couple short shots of the studio. SSL, but I couldn't tell which one. Looked like it could have been a 9j, but I can't verify that.

I like their stuff regardless of what most think of them.

The new song Animals is pretty intense. Anyone have any idea where the hell that kick sound came from? Is that the air hole compressed to hell and back again?
it's an odd kick sound to my ears, it sounds more natural on track 3 photograph. I see visions of the skin covered in tin foil for some reason, very synthetic sounding, probabally distorted. I'm not sure I like it.

Killer guitar sound the album sounds really good. Some of the songs are pretty catchy but it's not my thing.

Ian
Old 10th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I read this thread when it started in hopes Mike would answer some questions too....only to see the new and seemingly growing amount of bashing and negativity here.
We had a chance to learn some answers and those of you who don't like the band, screwed it up for all of us. Nice job....
Even if I don't dig a band, I still check out the thread when the likes of Shipley show up just to learn. I guess when one of my bands sells a couple mill in 11 weeks, I can afford to bash NB too...Oh wait that was Mr Shipley's band, not yours so shoosh and let the rest of us gain some knowledge!!!

And I just want to end with a big thanks for Mr Dye hopping on here and sticking up for Shipley and NB...classy

Last edited by pigpen; 10th May 2006 at 06:03 AM..
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Human
I've picked up the latest album from Nickelback ("All the Right Reasons"), and I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the production. Granted, when you have guys like Mike Shipley and Randy Staub mixing, it's going to sound great. But I'm interested to get some details about how Joey Moi and the guys recorded the album. I'm looking for details on things such as mics and the mic setup used, the recording chain for guitars, etc. I read an article regarding the details from the last album, but this album has an inherently different sound to it.

So, if anyone knows any of the details or knows of any articles or links that talk about it, please let me know...thanks! thumbsup
There records sound great.
Great tones on everything, vox, gtr, drums, and BASS~!
Really dig there bass tones.
To me the vox sounds really "S-sey", because of the Rode mic, but what do i know?
📝 Reply