The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trident 65 or neve8816+eq Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Trident 65 or neve8816+eq

Hello,

First, sorry for my bad english, I'll do my best.

I essentially do electronic music. I have a little set-up but with high-end stuff.
Right now I'm in a hurry and I don't really know what I have to choose. I thougt you could help me.

I need a mixer and I've the choice between a neve 8816 or a trident 65.
I know one is a summer an the oder a console but the thing is, I relly don't need mic pres. What I need is eq's, I'm a bit poor in hardware eq's, I have 2 siemens w295 and 1 clariphonic for my mix. I would like to know what is the best:

neve 8816 + API 5500 + 2x Siemens w295
or
Trident 65 with 16 eq's

I thought I could pass the instruments equalized through my HEDD 192, like a bounce... and put it again in the entire mix...

I'm not necessarily looking for the most convenient but for the best sound.

I tried the neve, and was impressed by the headroom. I have some pretty compressors and I thought the trident doesn't do the job. Maybe I'm wrong.

I know this is not clear, my english is bad (I'm french) but I have often read your comments, they are most of the time very relevant.

Thank you very much,

regards
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Neve 8816 100%

The Trident 65 SEEMS like a cool idea, but the sound is really NOT there compared to the classic Trident sound, it's summing capability is far infererior and then all you have is a very large console/piece of furniture that'll be hard to get rid of.

IF you're going to get a console, look at something small format. I'd even put the Toft ATB above the Tirdent 65/70 range.

Or better yet, look at some cool vintage console that may be smaller footprints, THAT would be the ultimate!

You can pull of a KILLER small format mini SSL for really good prices these days! (Check out Vintage King)
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Thank you for your reply thumbsup, you confirm my doubts.
I'll take a look to the vintageking website.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.b-k View Post
Thank you for your reply thumbsup, you confirm my doubts.
I'll take a look to the vintageking website.
And just so you know and feel a bit better, I too looked at the EXACT same thing! Those Tridents sure look sexy heh BUT, when I listened, the headroom on those 65s and 70s are just terrible

If you can find a TriMix, those seemed much better sounding.

(I eventually went for some channel strips for that flavor, then added some Pacifica's, which seemed like the best of Trident and Quad ... and NEVE.. and API rolled into one heh ... to run with a more neutral SSL sound, great combo for me)
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

OK now, I'm pretty sure I'll take the 8816. In addition to this I'd take a good stereo eq. I'm thinking about taking an API one. I've a good deal for two 560.
I've never tried this one (only know the waves, and even if they're plugins I really like it). But there is so much gear... I would really like to try them all but...
I'm happy with my siemens w295b (I am also happy with the clariphonic, but it's something less polivalent), I thought the API 550A or 560 could complement those I already have.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

8816 all the way..

Used the Trident a few times in different shops and it was a cloudy affair.

8816 smokes it in the headroom dept which is where the $$$$ is @ for me these days along with being new and cascadeable, recallable and with warranty and no nasty alps faders etc.

YMMV
Wiggy
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

Thank you for your replies.

I'll take the 8816. If I had more $$ I'd take a good console but...
I spent all my money in good monitors, converters and compressors.

Thank you again.
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Neve 8816 All the way......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search