The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
888 - 24 bit - Any value? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

888 - 24 bit - Any value?

Guys,

Here's my third post.

A buddy had his G4 stolen and gave me his 888 24 bit boxes, two of them. Question, is it worth keeping them?

At this time, as many might know, I'm considering building new systems based on my PT 9 open using new converters or my Alesis HD 24 xr as IO and light pipe card for my Mac (Big ben or other clock for sync).

Is the older PZM the way to go? Or will I do better with my idea or another?

Ideas, guidance and comments please.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 21st December 2010
They are worth about $150 each. I don't think I'd build a system around them if I had the choice. We actually use them at our studio...they can't be too bad the Del McCoury Record we made is up for a Grammy.

But, compared to the current crop of converters, or even the older Apogee AD8000, there's no comparison.
Old 21st December 2010
Deleted #157546
If you want to go the TDM route, pick up some pci core/accel cards. You can get those for about a grand and then get a interface. The legacy stuff is very limited unless your already set up.

Like the last post, if you tried to build a set up "new" with that gear it's going to be more problems than it's worth. Plus the system is far behind what is out now.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Their A/D has been eclipsed by just about every current converter maker, but they're COMPLETELY useful for their AES inputs. They pass 8 channels of 24-bit audio and would make a great option for outboard reverb, etc. We keep a couple around for this reason, but not serious analog work (fine for talkback or phone patches).
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Their A/D has been eclipsed by just about every current converter maker, but they're COMPLETELY useful for their AES inputs. They pass 8 channels of 24-bit audio and would make a great option for outboard reverb, etc. We keep a couple around for this reason, but not serious analog work (fine for talkback or phone patches).
+1

Its cheaper to buy an 888 and run it AES than it is to expand a 192 interface for 8 more AES channels. But you are limited to 24/48.

That said,

I have one sitting on a shelf doing nothing- they aren't worth much at all.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear
I would value them more around $50. I sold mine for $150 two years ago and that was the going rate then. At this point they fall into the category of, if you have any use for them it's probably not worth the money to sell them.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Guys,

Thanks for the guidance.

For Sale, two big cool looking paper weights. Cheap $50 obo.

Bob
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

pm'd you.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search