The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tweeter blown - older Monitors - assistance greatly appreciated! Studio Monitors
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Tweeter blown - older Monitors - assistance greatly appreciated!

Hello fellow Slutz!

I was recording this past weekend and the tweeter in my left monitors failed. It is an older American made KRK V88 series, manufactured in 2005. I have taken it to my very knowledgeable local technician who called KRK, and they flatly said they no longer support this series, and cannot assist in helping him locate a suitable replacement. They suggested 'just starting again'.

Yes, disappointing for a $3,000+ system only 5 1/2 years old... I wouldn't have placed my KRK's in the disposable category-however this is what my tech was informed.

I called KRK myself, and received similar feedback. I questioned whether the newer V series may have a possible option that could work with my setup, and the tech suggested that the newer components will not be in the same league as my older American made series. They suggested I contact Focal who are the makers of the speaker components. There appears to be a focal America - car audio, and a focal audio in France that deal with studio monitors-I'm under the impression these companies are one in the same.

Just keeping my options open in case these enquiries lead to a dead end. What are your thoughts in terms of replacing both tweeters (for a sonic match) I'm contemplating what replacement would sonically sit with my existing setup should a replacement be out of the question with focal.

Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts, and merry Christmas!
-Fletch
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStarzUSA View Post
Hello fellow Slutz!

I was recording this past weekend and the tweeter in my left monitors failed. It is an older American made KRK V88 series, manufactured in 2005. I have taken it to my very knowledgeable local technician who called KRK, and they flatly said they no longer support this series, and cannot assist in helping him locate a suitable replacement. They suggested 'just starting again'.

Yes, disappointing for a $3,000+ system only 5 1/2 years old... I wouldn't have placed my KRK's in the disposable category-however this is what my tech was informed.

I called KRK myself, and received similar feedback. I questioned whether the newer V series may have a possible option that could work with my setup, and the tech suggested that the newer components will not be in the same league as my older American made series. They suggested I contact Focal who are the makers of the speaker components. There appears to be a focal America - car audio, and a focal audio in France that deal with studio monitors-I'm under the impression these companies are one in the same.

Just keeping my options open in case these enquiries lead to a dead end. What are your thoughts in terms of replacing both tweeters (for a sonic match) I'm contemplating what replacement would sonically sit with my existing setup should a replacement be out of the question with focal.

Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts, and merry Christmas!
-Fletch
WTF?!?!?!?!? I would call 5 years old barely broken in. That makes me COMPLETELY cross KRK off the list of even considering in the future - no matter how good any of their products may sound.

JBL is still fixing speakers that are 40+ years old. Stick with a REAL speaker. Dump the KRK's and look elsewhere.

If they can't recone the drivers themselves, it's highly unlikely that any local speaker reconing service can do a decent job. You could replace the drivers with a similar sized driver from another manufacturer, but it will most likely not be accurate. OK to use on your stereo system, but not for making critical studio decisions.

Actually, the more I think about this, the more aghast I am. I can't believe they don't support it after 5 years. Unbelieveable.

Sorry for the rude awakening. Hope you find something you really like. Personally, I like the LSR series from JBL. I'd personally stay away from Tannoy as well. Although I like listening to them, I had a huge amount of re-coning issues years ago that put me off from ever using them again.
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Yes, my sentiments exactly. I've worked in Pro Audio for 22 years, including retail pro Audio for over a decade. To cease supporting a product after a half decade after introduction almost greatly taints my view of that company. Very very unappealing company philosophy IMHO.

I wanted to avoid my comments sounding like a bashing session on KRK. I've loved my monitors, and use them daily for those 5 years. I'm quick to ensure that people know I'm using the older American series which are certainly in a different league to the current manufactured models.

If there are any stand alone replacements that can be considered I'm very much open to suggestion. Cheers.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Post a picture of the tweeter, you might get lucky it might be some stock OEM that someone might recognize !
The fact is KRK is now almost as consumer lowend as it parent co Cerwin Vega!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

most manufacturers use products from the same batch of speaker makers. There is often a number printed on the speaker, you can source it that way. You might try madisound, or parts express. I was able to source a Westlake woofer and a Dunlavy tweeter via these routes. There is also orange county speaker repair, who carry recone kits for many speakers. They might be able to repair it.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Hi guys, I found out that the maker of the tweeter is Cabasse, and the model is a DOM30 or DOM 30. I see they are located in France. I will send them an email in addition to the one I already sent Focal.

I tried doing a fairly decent search online for a replacement DOM30, however I wasn't able to locate anything. If anyone has had experience with sourcing a Cabasse tweeter etc, pls feel free to chime in. Cheers again!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

We no longer sell KRK for this reason...the 2 months i was quoted for a replacement tweeter is better than never available tho
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Zalytron

These guys sell to the DIY community and carry Cabasse drivers. Not that particular model but they might be able to source it special order. Worth a shot.
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

Hey guys, appreciate the info you've shared, will post back with my findings, I'm thinking as time goes on, this will occur again, so perhaps it will help the next person if they can source a solution quickly. Cheers.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

That model doesn't get much love on the secondhand market, they seem to go cheap on Ebay. Why don't you keep an eye out for a single monitor, and buy it up for the extra parts?

I'm done with KRK too for these same reasons. Their support is really crappy on the current models, and non-exsistant on the older ones. Fast forward five years from now...wonder what their support will be like then?

I really liked my series 1 V8's when I had them, and swore by them. One call to KRK support changed my mind on KRK! Not the same company it was 5 years ago.
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
I'm done with KRK too for these same reasons. Their support is really crappy on the current models, and non-exsistant on the older ones. Fast forward five years from now...wonder what their support will be like then?
Yes, I'm getting the wake up call of the century over this. Will be going out of my way to steer ppl clear of them, and I have a HUGE network in which to voice this too. Shock has subsided into anger now. If it was a $150 monitor, no tears, but a $3,000 investment was meant for the long haul for me personally. Essentially worthless, except for a paper weight now.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Your anger & indignation will only cause you an ulcer.

Rest assured that KRK is only going after the low end of the market now...as they cannot support professionals.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Same story with Event's ASP8's

They no longer support them! Soooo disappointed in that company!!!!

pffffff!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Have to say that this is what I love about Quested : Blown tweeter, call Madisound for a $20 Morell diaphragm, mids $75 Skanspeak, or spend twice as much through a Quested dealer. Heck in a pinch my neighbor can grab a Morell from work!
Old 21st February 2011
Here for the gear

New finding to KRK V88

To all the KRK V88 users, my tweeter on one of the monitors went out top of the year 2011 and I googled it to see what I could find out, so I found this gearslutz posting "tweeter blown-older monitors", well I followed the advice from everyone and found this out.

Cabasse in France the company that originally designed the KRK V88 tweeter Dom30 is no longer manufacturing that tweeter, but if you send your broken one to their US distributor they will repair it, if as new. The cost is about $112.00 US dollars per tweeter.
So in regard to the KRK line of speakers for my production after these finding is as everyone else, (no more KRK speakers) any company that will not supply the professional community with replacement parts up to at least 7 years after discontinuing that product line, us as Audio Pros need to stay away from I do agree.

Ok bellow is Cabasse US distributors contact info. to get your V88 series tweeters repaired in France, yes the speakers still have to travel to Europe to get fixed.
Thanks to all you guys input, that I found this solution to the KRK V88 tweeter problem.
God Bless

D.RamBro

John Caldwell
Co-founder and Director of Sales
StJohn Group, Inc.
North American Distribution and Marketing
StJohn Group - A North American Distributor and Marketer of Consumer Electronics

Office Tel: 360-283-5244
Fax: 805-856-2212
My Cell: 805-390-1601
email: [email protected]
Skype IM: johncaldwell222
NEW GOOGLE VOICE #: 480-463-4248 (this will find me anywhere!)
Old 30th April 2011
Here for the gear

bass drivers?

i also have a pair of krks which recently had an accident during transit except it was the bass driver not the tweeter. does anybody have any info on replacements, by the sounds of it i dont want to start calling krk.
cheers in advance
jack
Old 16th February 2012
Here for the gear

Selling Repair Parts for V8 / V88 on ebay

Hi,

i ran in excactly the same situation. The Tweeter in one of my KRK V88 is broken and i called krk and their repair service could not fix it. They do not have any Repair Parts for this series. The cabasse service told me the same thing.

So now i am selling the working parts over ebay.de from Hamburg Germany.

I have 3 8" Woofer and one Tweeter for sale.

If any one is interessted we can calculate the shipping costs to wherever the repair parts should go.

KRK 8" Kevlar Woofer (V8 / V88) | eBay
Old 10th February 2017
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search