The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL X-Rack Bus Compressor or API 2500 Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

SSL X-Rack Bus Compressor or API 2500

I am looking for a bus compressor to use mainly on the whole mix for pop/punk/rock stuff. I am trying to decide for either the API 2500 or the SSL X-Rack Stereo Bus comp. SSL is currently having a sale on the bus comp for € 1600.- including the Mynx so that's abonus for it's about €1000.- cheaper than the API. But I have heard from a lot of people that the API is way more flexible. Anybody here worked with both?
Old 20th December 2010
Tough call. If you go by what the plugins sound like I would choose the API but I'm still going to wait and see what they both sound like. The API has the "thrust" section, VERY cool and very useful along with the feedforward and feedback modes but the SSL (I'm assuming you're talking about the G Series comp) has been used on so many great albums of that Genre (assuming CLA uses that comp on mixdown). If you have that kind of money I would try getting both in your hands and seeing what works for you. Lot of guys prefer the Dramastic over the SSL for the "SSL thing". Another one that I've been told is a real winner on the mixbus is the Drawmer 1968 but I have no experience with it, or any of these. I'm repeating what I've been told. The only experience I have is using the Waves versions of these but I'm going for a h/w bus comp in the new year. So thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iglesias View Post
I am looking for a bus compressor to use mainly on the whole mix for pop/punk/rock stuff. I am trying to decide for either the API 2500 or the SSL X-Rack Stereo Bus comp. SSL is currently having a sale on the bus comp for € 1600.- including the Mynx so that's abonus for it's about €1000.- cheaper than the API. But I have heard from a lot of people that the API is way more flexible. Anybody here worked with both?
If its for the two bus, I would go for the SSL--it truly is the "make it sound like a record" box.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

SSL will give you clean and punchy, API will add more character (color) and will also be punchy. It's not as clean as the SSL and more versitle due to the thrust option.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
SSL will give you clean and punchy, API will add more character (color) and will also be punchy. It's not as clean as the SSL and more versitle due to the thrust option.
Agree with you on sonic analysis.
But don't you think that simply connecting an EQ to the SSL's side chain would allow it to compete with the thrust options on an API?

My take on this conundrum is that there are 2 over riding factors to consider:
1. API's coloration
2. SSL's effect on high frequencies and sense of breadth.

Perhaps when mixing into these comps we can learn how to negate or use these things to advantage?
They are both extremely useful comps and capable of doing the business.

Iglesias uses the "mainly" word: "mainly on the whole mix".
If this means using either the API or SSL for other stuff like tracking and individual subs on mixdown, then that would tip the scales towards the API, IMO.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Hey thanks so much for all your thoughts. Yes I want to use it mainly on the mix, but also for a drum sub group. Not so much for tracking as I have enough great comps for tracking.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iglesias View Post
Yes I want to use it mainly on the mix, but also for a drum sub group. Not so much for tracking as I have enough great comps for tracking.
Well.. I've had a lot more success with API on drum groups than SSL (maybe should have mentioned in beginning that the SSL rack comp I'm familiar with is FXG384... hopefully close enough to X rack for these observations to make sense).
Old 21st December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Logic View Post
If its for the two bus, I would go for the SSL--it truly is the "make it sound like a record" box.
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear
HOW ABOUT BOTH AND with API setting to be 50% on low frequency (or high depends on which sound better to you) just to color up the track a bit then Max it with SSL Bus then the final limiter like Ozone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search