The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
if the u47 is the holy grail of mics why are neumann not making the same mic? Condenser Microphones
Old 28th December 2010
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardpike View Post
There is currently an availability of 8 VF14s on a certain auction site, at reasonable prices.
There are a whole lotta seriously noisy ones out there - some dead ones too - I would suggest caution and the engagement of an "escrow service" if I were buying a 60 yr. old used tube [unless it was from a verifyable / reliable / known / "findable next week" kind of source].

As always, YMMV.

Peace.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
"findable next week"? Now you are asking a lot.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I might also mention that a had a wonderful C-37A for a few years in the late 90's. This microphone left a bigger impression on me than any other I have owned. Really electric/hi-fi sounding. thumbsup
C37A definitely had a sweet platform for great sounding vocals. The capsule and the transformer were quality and then some. I think the 37A is a 6au6a as a cathode follower right?

Peace
Illumination
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Greetings, hope all of you are having happy holidays...

Yes, the c-37a is a cathode follower, 6au6, triode strapped....a thing I always thought was cool about it was the fact that the mic's transformer was located in the power supply, interestingly enough its BECAUSE its a cathode follower that they could move the transformer into the power supply box...(not many other mics did this)...

Well wishes to you and yours.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Remake of the VF-14 - Statement from JJ electronic

Mr. Jurco, the business director of JJ Electronic, has been so kind and sent his statement about a remake of the VF-14 tube

Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby View Post
Mr. Jurco, the business director of JJ Electronic, has been so kind and sent his statement about a remake of the VF-14 tube

1) there is no date on that letter

2) posting a privately addressed letter here would seem to be a breach of forum rules, no?
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvan View Post

2) posting a privately addressed letter here would seem to be a breach of forum rules, no?
I got the email today, 30.12.2010. I told the company about the discussion on gearslutz and sent them the link before I got the reply. This letter is not about a law suit (which would breach the forum rules) it is an official company statement. I think it is worth to share the information
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvan View Post

Some people take them-self very seriously..........
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

"The English have two Obsessions: Crime & ****s" - My girlfriend whilst zapping through the tv channels

Only two? My, we must be slipping.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilmente View Post
"The English have two Obsessions: Crime & ****s" - My girlfriend whilst zapping through the tv channels

Nahhh mate, let's not forget, in no particular order:

1) The weather
2) Queuing
3) Trivia
4) Tea
5) Warm beer
6) Princess Di
7) DIY home improvements that halve the property's value
8) The Queen Mum - ooops, sorry, she's dead. Isn't she...?
9) TV gardening programmes

Hahhh, there must be more - then again it's been a few years since I lived in London...
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Good news is used real pro audio gear is accessible to the true passionate!

Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilmente View Post

Nahh, we are not slipping but sarcasm is a part of it as well. I love our ickle country. I'm coming around a lot and maybe being able to compare a bit. I would defend the British culture and social life with my teeth
Old 2nd January 2011
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
... I would suggest caution and the engagement of an "escrow service" if I were buying a 60 yr. old used tube...
The irony is the immense number of them that went into wastebaskets because most professional facilities had a policy of replacing all tubes once a year for reliability.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I would just like to point out that Neumann can't even get the U87 right anymore, and that's never left production to my knowledge. How could we expect the U47 to be any different?

Between the AI stuff, and the TLM103, I'd just as soon rather have a boutique clone, rather than spend the money on a Neumann re-issue.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
JJ Electronic seems to hear the message..
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
JJ Electronic seems to hear the message..
...it's just not loud enough yet. Maybe it will get there one day.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search