The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Single Earthworks QTC40 for Acoustic guitar Condenser Microphones
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Single Earthworks QTC40 for Acoustic guitar

I just ordered a QTC40 to use in my small studio because I used an old Shure SM80 omni on my acoustic guitar and compared it to my sm81 and liked it a little better. I figure the Earthworks should sound even better! Anyone tried a single earthworks QTC40 at the neck body joint of an acoustic? I'm planning on keeping it pretty close too to focus on the guitar and not the room. ANy thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Earthworks SR25 is one of my favorites on acoustic. Great sounding mics!
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

tc 30

i have a pair of tc30s work great. . .
some mic pres match better to realize potential. . .
C
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

I usually use my pair of QTC40's on acoustic guitar often, but one should work fine. They are hyper detailed but you will hear the room if it sucks.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I will be using an Apogee Duet. Are those preamps a good match with Earthworks? And I should definitely get a good sound with just one about 4-6" from the 12th Fret? I will probably do doubling with multiple tracks for a stereo effect and sometimes use different guitars. The room doesn't suck but it is a little bass heavy even with good corner traps and some baffles. The sm80 sounds good in that room about 4-6" away from the 12th fret. So up close I should get a great sound shouldn't I?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yieldvs10 View Post
I usually use my pair of QTC40's on acoustic guitar often, but one should work fine. They are hyper detailed but you will hear the room if it sucks.
Where would you recommend placing one qtc40 for the best results? 12th Fret? Would I get a lot better results with 2?

Will the qtc40 work great for vocals too?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

All guitars are different, and what constitutes a good sound to you may be different from what I want to hear, but if you experiment a little you should be able to find a sound that pleases you. You can move the microphone nice and close to the guitar without any proximity effect so you should be able to minimize the effects of the room.

That type of microphone is not my personal favorite for vocals...it's ultra-clean, and the singer can't really "work" it since there's no proximity effect...but for certain styles I could see it working all right.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

If you are hearing too much room, try taming it with some soft faced gobos or even blankets draped over stands behind the guitarist and behind the mic. Surprising just how much rear pickup these mics have.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

All the vertical corners are already bass traped with mineral wool traps with foil facing and covered in fabric. There are also several baffles in the room including a 4' x 5' baffle on wheels that is about 6" thick. The shure sm80 omni sounded good up close so I think the Earthworks will be much better. Also if I got a chance to get a QTC30 to use as a spaced pair with the QTC40 would that sound good?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGuy View Post
All the vertical corners are already bass traped with mineral wool traps with foil facing and covered in fabric. There are also several baffles in the room including a 4' x 5' baffle on wheels that is about 6" thick. The shure sm80 omni sounded good up close so I think the Earthworks will be much better. Also if I got a chance to get a QTC30 to use as a spaced pair with the QTC40 would that sound good?
That will sound great as long as you don't play super quietly. I'd get in as close as possible in any case.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

The QTC sounds great on some guitars, not so flattering on others. You can work fine with a single one at the 12th. Like Chris said, the pre is playing a big role with what you will pull from it.

They also kick ass on all kinds of hand percussion.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

The guitars are Composite Acoustics aka CA Guitars. I have several models to use. They sound AWESOME! I will use the preamps in my Apogee Duet. I don't play quietly, I mostly play strummed rhythm guitar on my acoustics and then add vocals, acoustic bass guitar (also will be mic'd with QTC40) and may occasionally add a little bit of midi instrument like piano or organ, etc.

Would a QTC30 be ok to use also on the guitar with the qtc40 as spaced pairs up close like one near the 12th fret and one near the bridge?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGuy View Post
I just ordered a QTC40 to use in my small studio because I used an old Shure SM80 omni on my acoustic guitar and compared it to my sm81 and liked it a little better. I figure the Earthworks should sound even better! Anyone tried a single earthworks QTC40 at the neck body joint of an acoustic? I'm planning on keeping it pretty close too to focus on the guitar and not the room. ANy thoughts are greatly appreciated.
These accurate omni mikes sound more like one another than perhaps any other design. The SM80 is already pretty darn flat across the audio band. If anything, I suspect the thing you are most likely to notice is that the self-noise on the QTC is 5 dB higher than on the SM80 (smaller capsule gains more extended high freq response at the expense of higher self-noise). Probably recording close in will give you strong enough signal level that noise will still not be a problem.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

WOW, the sm80 will sound comparable to the QTC40? I know the sm80 sounds good but I've heard and read some pretty impressive things about the QTC40 and how it picks up sound different than any other omni.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I had a pair of TC40k's (predecessors to the QTC40) for years until I recently sold them. Excellent mics if you're looking for the most natural sound possible. Best I've used on classical guitar and harp, and really nice on piano for certain styles. The TC's were just too darned noisy for me. I know the QTC40 is five or six db quiter, but still quite noisy when compared to many other modern SDC's, so using a quiet preamp and positioning the mics pretty close is critical. I can see using them on group vocals or choirs in a good room, but not solo or lead vocals. But I never tried it, so who knows?

I replaced mine with a pair of Jim Williams-modded AKG 460B's with multiple capsules. Great mics, much quieter—but definitely with a bit of vibe the Earthworks didn't have, and I have on occasion missed that total transparency.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

I have QTC30s and SR25s - incredible transient response and transparency - can be very nice on acoustic guitar in the position you mention, especially for picking - I generally find a LDC or ribbon works better for strumming though.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

I love the QTC40's! I just sold one on ebay a couple days ago. It's got a beautiful open sound expecially in a good room. Actually, I've recorded some folky singers who liked it in a crappy room. They were looking for a very old sound and it really sounded cool for that style. Also i've used it on alot of bluegrassers. Enjoy!
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Oh yeah, and it is very nice on SOME people's voice. But a little EQ work will get you where you want it with nearly anybody because it has a flat reponse.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
The TC's were just too darned noisy for me. I know the QTC40 is five or six db quiter, but still quite noisy when compared to many other modern SDC's, so using a quiet preamp and positioning the mics pretty close is critical. I can see using them on group vocals or choirs in a good room, but not solo or lead vocals. But I never tried it, so who knows?
Yeah, that's always been the limitation with those 1/4" capsules. Always best on loud signals (i.e., high SPLs at the mike).

The TC's had a noise spec at 27 dB A and the QTCs are at 22 dB A. The ancient and lowly SM80 has a noise spec of 17 dB A, and that's often a useful 5 (or 10) dB difference. Actually, the preamp noise is pretty much irrelevant on those Earthworks mikes unless it's something ridiculous or malfunctioning.

As you recall, the noise spec is actually an equivalent SPL, so the S/N with these noisy mikes is the difference between the signal SPL at the capsule and the mike self-noise, with the preamp noise usually well below the mike inherent noise.

BTW, those omnis can give a useful sound on vocals, IMO. Sometimes I like the sound of my voice up close to an omni mike. There is no "proximity effect" from the mike, but there is a difference in the sound of a voice up very close and it can be a good sound. Or you can mike a bit further out and eq up the low end if needed.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 22nd December 2010

Funny; Seanmccoy drops the AKG 460 here... I just answered another thread on the QTC40 with 'try the 480' :-)
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkRoots View Post
I love the QTC40's! I just sold one on ebay a couple days ago.
Priceless!
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkRoots View Post
I love the QTC40's! I just sold one on ebay a couple days ago. It's got a beautiful open sound expecially in a good room. Actually, I've recorded some folky singers who liked it in a crappy room. They were looking for a very old sound and it really sounded cool for that style. Also i've used it on alot of bluegrassers. Enjoy!

Thanks. I think you're the person I bought it from! Maybe I'll get lucky and find another one used. So in a not so great room just get it about 4" from the 12 fret area? If I used 2 just put the second one about 4" from the bridge?

Thanks!
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Would a SR25 or SR30 be a good studio vocal mic? Better than the QTC40?
Better than my Shure SM7?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
i have a pair of tc30s work great. . .
some mic pres match better to realize potential. . .
C
How do you position them for recording acoustic guitar?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Try a hoizontally polarised jecklin disk.. so you get the vertical strum interpreted in some L/R shimmer... jecklin and a pair of omnis can be fun (forced separation..)
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

So far the QTC40 sounds INCREDIBLE on acoustic guitar. I recorded a rhythm track with my CA Guitars COT dreadnaught and then doubled it with my CA Guitars Bluegrass model and panned right and left and I love it! I then tinkered with vocals and acoustic bass and it sounded great on both. It really makes the bass sound organic. For vocals I turned it sideways and held a pop screen up and sang and it sounded very good and natural. Since the mic is omni doing vocals from the side so I don't get bursts of air hitting the capsule works great. I can't wait to hear what my CA 12 String sounds like with this mic!!
Old 25th December 2010
KAB
Gear Addict

I like the sound of the QTC40 on AG, too. Quite true to life.
Old 25th December 2010
CAguy - I presume this thread is a bit of viral marketing on your part for CA guitars. I went to Composite Acoustics and it's pretty blank - something coming in 2011??

I'm intrigued. Looks like some nice modern guitar shapes. I like composite material guitars, and I wouldn't mind something better than my Ovation ...

Maybe you need something better and quiter than Earthworks to show off these guitars. Gefell M300 maybe?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
CAguy - I presume this thread is a bit of viral marketing on your part for CA guitars. I went to Composite Acoustics and it's pretty blank - something coming in 2011??

I'm intrigued. Looks like some nice modern guitar shapes. I like composite material guitars, and I wouldn't mind something better than my Ovation ...

Maybe you need something better and quiter than Earthworks to show off these guitars. Gefell M300 maybe?
Sorry Kiwi but I am simply a CA owner and LOVE them. It's pretty much the same for all CA owners I've come across. THey really are great guitars. Why would you suggest a Gefell when I just said I'm ecstatic with my Earthworks?? Is your post viral marketing for Gefell? If I said I love my Taylors would you be suspicious of that?? However, I will say as an enthusiastic fan that Peavey is going to have the CA's at NAMM according to the website. If you are playing an ovation you may want to try to find a CA somewhere and compare it. If you can compare it to a Martin and Taylor too. See what you think. I hope you have a great Christmas!
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Try Composite Acoustics

I'm on an owner originated page of facebook for them. THat is where I got the link. I did buy a used bluegrass model recently and the other owner had used a bone nut improperly cut and kinda goofed it all up and it sounded terrible. I called Peavey and they send a new nut and saddle and I bought some Graphtech endpins and got it restored to original and now it sounds AWESOME! I am not affiliated with them in any way other than a very happy customer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search