The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your favorite resources for learning Pro Tools?
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Guru

I'm 'passable' when it comes to this app but I need to take my chops to the next level for a few different irons I got in the fire.

I'm looking for a kickass book or two to get me going, I'm a power-user kinda guy so key commands and workspace customization are my m.o. Logic has me pretty spoiled in that department but I imagine PT won't disappoint.

Any and all input is much appreciated!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th December 2010
Mgr
Lives for gear

I know it's not very glam but I find the manual to be pretty good and gives some usefull tips.

Using a dedicated keyboard (with colors and shortcuts) can be a good way to learn to be faster too.

my 2 cts...
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Best Protools book ever written
read this from cover to cover and you will know everything about PT

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._v90_69548.pdf

And best is all it's free to download
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Guru

I usually recommend the Visual Quickstart Guides.

The chapters are task-oriented, so the commands you are probably 'looking for' are all in one place. It is well-formatted, the various types of information are displayed consistently. There are always screen shots - usually closeups of the thing you are supposed to click on.

Unlike the manual, these books are not afraid to repeat themselves. If you need a piece of information, it doesn't assume you have already studied the other chapter.

I don't think there's a PT 9 yet, but I doubt there will be many changes, perhaps a few additions.

Another great resource is Kenny Gioia's videos, for workflow and power-user tips.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Another great resource is Kenny Gioia's videos, for workflow and power-user tips.
+1 thumbsup
Old 19th December 2010
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
I'm 'passable' when it comes to this app but I need to take my chops to the next level for a few different irons I got in the fire.

I'm looking for a kickass book or two to get me going, I'm a power-user kinda guy so key commands and workspace customization are my m.o. Logic has me pretty spoiled in that department but I imagine PT won't disappoint.

Any and all input is much appreciated!

Gregory Scott - ubk
I would suggest the user manual followed by your imagination. Really... that's all you need. Find you own way of using tools. Helps to get your own sound.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

wtf is a power user?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

manuals are helpful, but what really helped me was a course I took in nyc at future media concepts.

since an intensive crash course in pt isn't probably what you're looking for (or maybe so), I would suggest buying a friend who knows PT well some beer and treats and shadow him on a make believe session for a day. ask a lot of questions and steal key commands.

pro tools is quite intuitive imo once you figure out orientation. and you seem like a pretty smart guy.

oto
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
The Best Protools book ever written
read this from cover to cover and you will know everything about PT

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._v90_69548.pdf

Thanks for the link, I downloaded that onto my computer.
Old 19th December 2010
These days, I find searching for the DAW and what I want to do with it usually leads me to a tutorial or good explanation sans manual.
Old 19th December 2010
RiF
Lives for gear

The manual that comes with Pro Tools is one of the best written ones that I know of. Read that first. It covers everything Pro Tools has to offer...
Then check out Kenny Gioia's videos on groove3.com
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Go to www.multiplatinumprotools.com.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Lynda.com
Pro Tools 9 Essential Training
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
The Best Protools book ever written...
Thanks for the link to new version manual.

P.S. to Greg, I made my appointment in plenty of time at 5pm when we met at the AES show. Did you notice your clock wasn't reset to west coast time?
Little bit of jetlag excuse.
I ran halfway to market street before realizing the extra hours.
Thanks for your help with UBK Fatso tracking settings demo.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 View Post
I would suggest buying a friend who knows PT well some beer and treats and shadow him on a make believe session for a day. ask a lot of questions and steal key commands.

pro tools is quite intuitive imo once you figure out orientation.
Greg, this is very good advice.

BTW... Make sure you don't forget to learn about "Disk Allocation" and "Consolidate" because they will help to keep your sessions organized and portable.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Berklee Music courses Pro Tools 101 and 110 were absolutely awesome for me. They also used the official Dididesign textbooks. There was soooo much information packed into them and all sorts of excercises and projects using what you were learning. Those two classes helped me so much and got me from knowing how to get around PT to understanding when to use what, how to be more efficient and got me very comfortable using the software. It sounds like you are just looking for a good book though, and the classes are not cheap, but this is how I got what I wanted. Very worth it for me. Just thought I would add. - paul

p.s. - maybe you might like the Avid 101 and 110 text books. They are extremely informative and in depth. I think you can find them at the Avid store or online somewhere. Here's the 101 text http://www.amazon.com/Tools-Official...ref=pd_sim_b_2 I couldn't find the 110 courseware.
Old 20th December 2010
biggest thing that helped me was learning the visuals on the main screen and going through the hotkey list and highlighting the shortcuts that were relevant to what I needed to do. I found it extremely easy and quick to learn how to be extremely proficient with the daw.

I also suggest a kensington expert mouse, perfect for assigning at least four shortcuts :D
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

For me the reference manual is certainly useful but it remains a reference guide and is not at all setup around how to perform certain tasks.

For this, I think some of the Groove3 trainings are very good (e.g. elastic audio, automation, Kenny's PT secretes) as they get you started with some concepts quite quickly (http://www.groove3.com/str/)
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

There is also this one:

Pro Tools 8 HD Automation Secrets - Training Videos for Digidesign's Pro Tools by Groove 3 Inc.

Beeing a PT power user for more then 13 years, this video just changed the way I work! I still can't belive I didn't know all the new amazing automation functions that were introduced on PT 7.4
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've gotten pretty good by RTFM. The way I learn the most is when I'm pushed by a client to do something I haven't done before. It tends to stay with me better too.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmachine View Post
The Berklee Music courses Pro Tools 101 and 110 were absolutely awesome for me. They also used the official Dididesign textbooks. There was soooo much information packed into them and all sorts of excercises and projects using what you were learning. Those two classes helped me so much and got me from knowing how to get around PT to understanding when to use what, how to be more efficient and got me very comfortable using the software. It sounds like you are just looking for a good book though, and the classes are not cheap, but this is how I got what I wanted. Very worth it for me. Just thought I would add. - paul

p.s. - maybe you might like the Avid 101 and 110 text books. They are extremely informative and in depth. I think you can find them at the Avid store or online somewhere. Here's the 101 text Amazon.com: Pro Tools 101 Official Courseware, Version 8 (Artistpro) (9781598638660): Digidesign: Books I couldn't find the 110 courseware.
The PT official course ware is stellar. Comes with reference sessions, is totally work-flow based, tons of keyboard shortcuts, and when/why/how to use them. Best of all, you learn quick!

From 110 on, the course ware is only available to registered Pro School students. It would be worth it to find some used if you can (110, 201, 210M). I've got up to 210M and it will change the way you approach that program. That was the only issue with pro School ($). The subject material was fantastic.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I agree that the Pro Tools manuals are very-well written and always have been. The Logic manuals are very poorly written and I found them very disappointing when I tried Logic out. (I'm not even getting into my general dislike of the ironically-named Logic.)

Perhaps you got burnt out on the useless Logic manual; dig into the Pro Tools manual. It's very good–searchable and informative.

The DUC (Digidesign User Forum) can be helpful too.

What do you want to know?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Awesome thread!!!!

After reading a book back in the day on Pro Tools 5 or 6, I was ten times faster at getting from point A to point B in the box.

It was crazy how much it improved my speed and abilities!!!! That software can do almost anything you think of as long as you learn how to do it.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I think sitting down with someone that really knows it in and out is the best way to start. Set up a "session" just as you would in any other app and every time you have to stop yourself to figure out how to do the task in PT, your buddy will be there to show you three or four different ways of doing it. This way, you'll know that you'll be learning how YOU usually work and the most used key commands that help with your workflow. Everything else imo is icing on the cake and you can learn as you go. I have learned some great tips from the Kenny videos. There also used to be a great thread here about the best/favorite key commands in PT. Can not remember the exact thread title but it was a long one!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Heck, i'll teach you in exchange for one of your fatsos.
Old 22nd December 2010
Musician's guide to pro tools- changed my life because it's written in context and the guy is funny too.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

You might want to check this site out Study Pro Tools Online tons of solid and clear sounding professional training videos. This may help if you prefer videos than reading . I find it easier to actually see it than read it
Old 9th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Hey guys!
Here is a new tutorial website. (PUREMIX)
This video dedicated to protools shortcuts is pretty great.
Old 9th June 2011
Lives for gear

John Keane: The Musician's Guide to Pro Tools

Deceptively deep and a great read - I'm not sure how up to date it is these days, but for a solid operational education it'll still do a great job.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search